ASUS Prime x570-P or MSI B470 TOMAHAWK MAX

So I'm building a PC for myself for uni and I'm wondering wether to get the ASUS Prime x570-P or the MSI B470 TOMAHAWK MAX. I'm gonna go with the Ryzen R5 3600 cpu, 16gb ram and probably a gtx 1070 or 1660 super. I've been told that the prime is far better in terms of futureproofing and that it's one of the best budget x570 boards, but the price difference is around 75€ and as someone on a budget, what would you recommend? Other suggestions are also welcome.

The prime only has the advantage of some slightly better features, other than that it's not a massive improvement over the tomahawk in terms of power delivery. If your target for this PC is only gaming, you'll really only be using up to an 8 core which the tomahawk can handle no problem.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Do you need pcie 4?

I don't think so, no

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The prime only has the advantage of some slightly better features, other than that it's not a massive improvement over the tomahawk in terms of power delivery. If your target for this PC is only gaming, you'll really only be using up to an 8 core which the tomahawk can handle no problem.

What about if I wanted to upgrade my cpu in a few years w/out upgrading my motherboard. Will the tomahawk be able to handle it just as well as the prime? I've made the mistake of buying a FX-9370 just before ryzen came out and I can basically toss out the cpu mobo and ram because of it..I don't wanna make the same mistake again, that's why I'm asking.

10 minutes ago, RandomKidd said:

What about if I wanted to upgrade my cpu in a few years w/out upgrading my motherboard. Will the tomahawk be able to handle it just as well as the prime? I've made the mistake of buying a FX-9370 just before ryzen came out and I can basically toss out the cpu mobo and ram because of it..I don't wanna make the same mistake again, that's why I'm asking.

This year will eventually see the release of 4th gen ryzen, which will be the last generation available for current AMD motherboards.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

This year will eventually see the release of 4th gen ryzen, which will be the last generation available for current AMD motherboards.

So it'd be better if I get the cheaper one so that if I choose to upgrade to a cpu that needs another one I wouldn't have spent as much money on this one? Also other than pcie 4 are there any other real benefits? Asking as a noob to overclocking

Just now, RandomKidd said:

So it'd be better if I get the cheaper one so that if I choose to upgrade to a cpu that needs another one I wouldn't have spent as much money on this one? Also other than pcie 4 are there any other real benefits? Asking as a noob to overclocking

The X570 has a beefier power delivery, if you wanted to get really into overclocking it's the better choice for sure, but if you're only after a mild overclock on a Ryzen 7, the tomahawk does the job.

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

The X570 has a beefier power delivery, if you wanted to get really into overclocking it's the better choice for sure, but if you're only after a mild overclock on a Ryzen 7, the tomahawk does the job.

Is getting it to 4.0GHz a mild overclock? Read somewhere that it boosts performance a fair bit

7 minutes ago, RandomKidd said:

Is getting it to 4.0GHz a mild overclock? Read somewhere that it boosts performance a fair bit

you can probably get to 4.1 or 4.2 fairly easily, with a decent cooler

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

you can probably get to 4.1 or 4.2 fairly easily, with a decent cooler

I plan on using the stock (wraith, I think it's called). Will it be enough?

10 minutes ago, RandomKidd said:

I plan on using the stock (wraith, I think it's called). Will it be enough?

you may be able to get a mild overclock, but without investing in an aftermarket cooler, there's no way I could recommend a board with better power delivery.

I'd see what performance is like at stock, AMD's automatic boosting features may deliver better performance than you expected.

Primary PC:

18 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

you may be able to get a mild overclock, but without investing in an aftermarket cooler, there's no way I could recommend a board with better power delivery.

I'd see what performance is like at stock, AMD's automatic boosting features may deliver better performance than you expected.

Interesting. Btw, would you recommend the be quiet! POWER ZONE 650W for a build like this, or do I go with a better one?

4 minutes ago, RandomKidd said:

Interesting. Btw, would you recommend the be quiet! POWER ZONE 650W for a build like this, or do I go with a better one?

it's an alright power supply, tier B on our tier list, but for a higher end PC it's recommended you shoot for a B+ or so

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

it's an alright power supply, tier B on our tier list, but for a higher end PC it's recommended you shoot for a B+ or so

Which one would you recommend I'd get? I think that I need around 500-650w or so. Also, It'd be great if it was not much more than 110ish €

1 minute ago, RandomKidd said:

Which one would you recommend I'd get? I think that I need around 500-650w or so. Also, It'd be great if it was not much more than 110ish €

bitfenix formula gold 550 or 650 is really good for your price range

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

would 550 be enough? what would push it over the limit if yes?

1 minute ago, RandomKidd said:

it's enough

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Also it's not modular, unlike the power zone. is there a modular equivalent in the same/similar price range?

7 minutes ago, RandomKidd said:

plenty

4 minutes ago, RandomKidd said:

Also it's not modular, unlike the power zone. is there a modular equivalent in the same/similar price range?

the Whisper M

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/CZvZxr/bitfenix-whisper-m-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bp-wg550umag-7fm

Primary PC:

13 minutes ago, RandomKidd said:

Thanks! Out of curiosity, how come that it's better than the power zone but also cheaper?

bitfenix doesn't have the same brand recognition as be quiet, so their units generally carry a lower price tag (until stock runs out like it did in the U.S., now they're really expensive)

Primary PC: