My PC wakes itself after putting it to sleep.

Go to solution Solved by Rahmat Baghdadi,

Me and tlustymen were trying to fix this in private. Turns out disabling the "Wake Timers" does fix it, in case the type of "Wake Source" is "Wake Timer".

So, if your PC is having nightmares too, check the type of your "Wake Source" by running this command on CMD:

powercfg /lastwake

Then if it is "Wake Timers", follow this guide to disable all the Wake Timers:

How to Disable Wake Timers:(source)

Note: Disabling wake timers will prevent everything from waking up the device, including Windows Update.
  1. Open Start menu and type and run Power Options.
  2. Click on Change plan settings of a power plan.
  3. Click on Change advanced power settings.
  4. Expand Sleep -> Allow wake timers tree, and set all options under it (On battery and Plugged in) to Disable.
  5. Click or tap OK when done.
  6. To ensure that the computer will not wake up under any circumstances as sometimes Windows may change power plan dynamically due to changed power source, repeat the steps to disable wake timers for all power plans.

As the title suggest, I’ve been having a problem with pc waking up itself after even few hours. I usually put pc to sleep when I go to sleep and so it’s hard to say when it wakes up when all the rgb literally wakes me up in middle of the night. Other problem I’m having is that sometimes it doesn’t even want to go to sleep in the first place. When I press the sleep button it just turns the display off and pc continues to work. 

I originally thought it’s by currently downloading torrents, apparently nothing changes if I turn it off, so I really don’t know what’s causing this.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks in advance.

Wake on lan. Or, to me more specific, wake on pattern match settings in lan card. And in BIOS sometimes. This was discussed few times on this forum.

14 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Wake on lan. Or, to me more specific, wake on pattern match settings in lan card. And in BIOS sometimes. This was discussed few times on this forum.

What is Wake on lan? Could you maybe link me to some off these topics? Thanks

18 minutes ago, tlustymen said:

What is Wake on lan? Could you maybe link me to some off these topics? Thanks

'Wake on LAN' is a setting that allows a signal from another device on your LAN to take your system out of sleep mode. It's helpful if you don't want your PC to always be turned on but you're too lazy to hit the power button when you want to stream a movie or something ?

17 hours ago, steelo said:

'Wake on LAN' is a setting that allows a signal from another device on your LAN to take your system out of sleep mode. It's helpful if you don't want your PC to always be turned on but you're too lazy to hit the power button when you want to stream a movie or something ?

Ok, so I currently have it set up like this? What should I change?

image.png

I would uncheck 'Allow this device to wake the computer' There may also be a setting in BIOS.

4 hours ago, steelo said:

I would uncheck 'Allow this device to wake the computer' There may also be a setting in BIOS.

Thank you, I'll try not changing BIOS right now and I'll let you know if it works  :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 2:58 PM, steelo said:

Yeah, so after 14 days, this problem returned and I’m really desperate. Ideas? :/

1 minute ago, tlustymen said:

Yeah, so after 14 days, this problem returned and I’m really desperate. Ideas? :/

Turn off your computer instead of putting it to sleep. Unless you're running Windows on a hard drive, there's not really a reason to use sleep mode over a full shutdown.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

20 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Turn off your computer instead of putting it to sleep. Unless you're running Windows on a hard drive, there's not really a reason to use sleep mode over a full shutdown.

I started doing that, but sometimes there are cases where I don’t really want to turn it off - for example I’m in the half of a movie or I’m downloading something large which I don’t want to interrupt.

21 minutes ago, tlustymen said:

I started doing that, but sometimes there are cases where I don’t really want to turn it off - for example I’m in the half of a movie or I’m downloading something large which I don’t want to interrupt.

If you're watching a movie, any decent media player or streaming service will save your place. If you're downloading something, putting it in sleep mode will end the download anyway.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I don't know any bloody Orchestrator program, but this happened today. Can I turn these auto updates off?

On 2/5/2020 at 11:59 AM, Rahmat Baghdadi said:

Hi there,

You can use this command in CMD to check which hardware has woken your PC last time:

powercfg /lastwake

Let me know how it goes.

Screenshot (21).png

• 1 month later...

Me and tlustymen were trying to fix this in private. Turns out disabling the "Wake Timers" does fix it, in case the type of "Wake Source" is "Wake Timer".

So, if your PC is having nightmares too, check the type of your "Wake Source" by running this command on CMD:

powercfg /lastwake

Then if it is "Wake Timers", follow this guide to disable all the Wake Timers:

How to Disable Wake Timers:(source)

Note: Disabling wake timers will prevent everything from waking up the device, including Windows Update.
  1. Open Start menu and type and run Power Options.
  2. Click on Change plan settings of a power plan.
  3. Click on Change advanced power settings.
  4. Expand Sleep -> Allow wake timers tree, and set all options under it (On battery and Plugged in) to Disable.
  5. Click or tap OK when done.
  6. To ensure that the computer will not wake up under any circumstances as sometimes Windows may change power plan dynamically due to changed power source, repeat the steps to disable wake timers for all power plans.