Noctua case fan with low noise adaptor: is that needed or use mobo control?

cifroes

I found out around the basement an old NF-P12 that I have that is not-PWM controlled but comes with 2 adapters for ultra low noise and low noise.

From a very old LTT video  I understand these adapters just reduce the voltage sent to the fan. But my mobo (MSI B450M PRO-VDH) already has a smart fan setting where I can define different voltages for different temperatures so what I was wondering is if it's worth it to use those adapters to reduce my overall noise or just use the smart fan feature of my mobo and control it dynamically.

At least in theory it seems it makes more sense to use the Mobo feature but just wanted to confirm I'm not understanding this incorrectly.

The adapters cap the fan speed and are only good if you otherwise don't have any fan control or if the fan control you have sucks. If you can, just use the motherboard without adapters. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you get satisfactory DC control with that mpbo, then there's no need to use them. But some mobos can't lower power under 60% (MSI for example), so you might want to lower those speeds even further.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

If you get satisfactory DC control with that mpbo, then there's no need to use them. But some mobos can't lower power under 60% (MSI for example), so you might want to lower those speeds even further.

Thanks, I'll have to test it out. The mobo seems like it allows me to select a low value (at least I can input it on the BIOS) but my current case fans seem to have a minimum where they don't go lower than that, it could be that case. I'm gonna test it with the noctua fan.