Temporary swapping a CPU to a lower-end one.

My problem is simple: I need to temporary swap a CPU, and then put it back after I finish doing what I wanted to do. Can anyone provide steps for swapping CPUs, like: clearing CMOS, cleaning thermal paste and etc.? 

6 minutes ago, JelloBeat said:

My problem is simple: I need to temporary swap a CPU, and then put it back after I finish doing what I wanted to do. Can anyone provide steps for swapping CPUs, like: clearing CMOS, cleaning thermal paste and etc.? 

Really all you have to do is pull the CPU cooler, clean the thermal paste off the CPU and the heatink (easier to clean the CPU while its still in the mobo, so just do it then), pull CPU out, put new CPU in, add thermal paste, remount CPU cooler, boot PC. When it boots, the mobo will likely throw a "New CPU detected, F12 to enter BIOS". Just enter BIOS, then you can exit the BIOS (you shouldn't need to adjust any settings), and it'll work!

Then do all that again to put the original back in.

Just to make sure, you are planning to put a CPU that works in, right? What CPU do you have now and what do you plan to swap in?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

just make sure that ALL cpu are compatible with the motherbaord.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Really all you have to do is pull the CPU cooler, clean the thermal paste off the CPU and the heatink (easier to clean the CPU while its still in the mobo, so just do it then), pull CPU out, put new CPU in, add thermal paste, remount CPU cooler, boot PC. When it boots, the mobo will likely throw a "New CPU detected, F12 to enter BIOS". Just enter BIOS, then you can exit the BIOS (you shouldn't need to adjust any settings), and it'll work!

Just to make sure, you are planning to put a CPU that works in, right? What CPU do you have now and what do you plan to swap in?

Yeah, i have a mobo that has an outdated bios, (dont ask me how it got outdated) therefore it doesnt have microcode for my 9900K. I have Celeron G4900 which my motherboard supports, and im gonna swap my 9900k to boot into my pc and then update my bios so i can run my 9900k again.

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Here is a link to my motherboards cpu list: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/ Right now my motherboard's BIOS version is 602, and 9900k started working on it only since the 1005 came out lol

19 hours ago, JelloBeat said:

Here is a link to my motherboards cpu list: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO/HelpDesk_CPU/ Right now my motherboard's BIOS version is 602, and 9900k started working on it only since the 1005 came out lol

Was it working before..? I guess I am just confused what happened here.

But.. yes, doing what you said would work. Just, how did you get there? lol. Did you have the G4900 in, swap to the 9900k, and not update the BIOS first?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Was it working before..? I guess I am just confused what happened here.

But.. yes, doing what you said would work. Just, how did you get there? lol. Did you have the G4900 in, swap to the 9900k, and not update the BIOS first?

Yes, exactly that. G4900 was my temporary CPU.