Budget build for 1080p future proof?

Dr Seuss
3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

RAM is easily the one thing that ensures that a system lasts longer. The office I work with are already outstripping their 32GB machines, even ones just running MS Office because they use really large PDF and Excel spread sheets. The Engineers all want >32GB machines.

Sure, you don't NEED 64GB, but that's just one way of making it last longer as the OS updates and game requirements increase. 

May depend on use case.  I maxed the ram on my z97 when I built it more than a few years ago for the reason you described.  I am sort of glad I did because only just recently has gaming passed 8gb.  My choices were 8 or 16gb.  If I’d been in a position where I could have done 12gb I’d still be fine now though.  It is still sort of handy.  I can keep multiple windows open and not worry about it.  Also the ram I bought can’t be had now so if I tried to update it today I’d have to get rid of my current ram and buy all new.  Ram purchasing in general seems to be a problem at the moment. A lot of stuff is sold out and prices are skyrocketing.  Dunno why.  Some sort of production issue probably.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 hours ago, boggy77 said:

You want me to put a ryzen processor and a rtx 2070 super in a micro atx case? with no extra fans? Yeah when I said future proof I also meant I want it to not burn up within the five years as well.

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

the issue so far as I can tell is it’s first gen and even if it works it’s nearly worthless because it does so little.  There was a big worry that the AMD console would have a different and much more effective form of ray tracing.  This appears to not be the case right now.  There is still the worry that some not yet released game could use the ray tracing hardware for something else entirely and suddenly make it necessary. That could still possibly happen, but At that point the Nvidia type of ray tracing still wouldn’t help.

If ray tracing isn't that effective anyways, maybe I'll look at a gtx 1660ti or rx 5600xt. Aren't they a little cheaper anyways?

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

RAM is easily the one thing that ensures that a system lasts longer. The office I work with are already outstripping their 32GB machines, even ones just running MS Office because they use really large PDF and Excel spread sheets. The Engineers all want >32GB machines.

Sure, you don't NEED 64GB, but that's just one way of making it last longer as the OS updates and game requirements increase. 

I can easily add ram if I need to. The mobo I'm looking at supports up to 64gb and is quad channel, if I need to I'll just add another 16gb(doubtful) but ram is the last concern I have right now, because like the gpu, I can change that later down the road if needed.

18 minutes ago, Dr Seuss said:

You want me to put a ryzen processor and a rtx 2070 super in a micro atx case? with no extra fans? Yeah when I said future proof I also meant I want it to not burn up within the five years as well.

It's not going to burn up. And a 5 pack of arctic fans is like 30$

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

It's not going to burn up. And a 5 pack of arctic fans is like 30$

If cooling isn't a problem, then I will consider it, but does that case have room to add fans?

Other than airflow, what's the cons of using a micro atx case and mobo vs a regular atx?