External DVD Reader/Writer Suggestions?

The Blue Cryptid

Looking for a decent (and budget friendly) external DVD reader/writer for my new laptop. Blu-ray is a bonus, but I prioritize budget over extra features.

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

any cheap usb one is gonna work just fine to be honest.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I have an Asus SDRW-08U7M-U that has been working quite well for me.

My previous external DVD writer, an LG GP65NS60, gave me nothing but trouble - it would drop from the system within 15-60 seconds or so after being connected, and would only be recognized once per USB cable.  (Plug same cable in again, drive not detected.  Plug new cable in, drive recognized then subsequently dropped.  Replug new cable, no dice.  Obtain 3rd (brand new) cable, drive detected then dropped... And so on.)

Budget: Best Buy has a good number you could pick up in person for $30-$35 (pre tax). you could use one of those while saving for a BD Writer.

Personal Recommendation: Mine is a Asus BW-16D1X-U ($110 of Amazon (pre tax)), So far after a couple years it is great and haven't had a single issue with it and burned lots of Blu ray backup of my games from GOG and Steam.

Nothing to see here, move along

15 hours ago, Riddler356 said:

Budget: Best Buy has a good number you could pick up in person for $30-$35 (pre tax). you could use one of those while saving for a BD Writer.

Personal Recommendation: Mine is a Asus BW-16D1X-U ($110 of Amazon (pre tax)), So far after a couple years it is great and haven't had a single issue with it and burned lots of Blu ray backup of my games from GOG and Steam.

I love that idea. I never thought to backup Steam games using Bluray. Its a good idea since when you buy games on there, theres still no guarantee they wont pull it off Steam and screw over the consumer.

Just here for some fun.

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

4 hours ago, The Blue Cryptid said:

I love that idea. I never thought to backup Steam games using Bluray. Its a good idea since when you buy games on there, theres still no guarantee they wont pull it off Steam and screw over the consumer.

well steam backups wont work if steam removes the game from libraries, and if it removes only downloads the backups might or might not work. As for GOG it is a nice way to backup, the only problem is alot of games are now too big to fit on one bluray and it's still like $3+ each for blurays from most locations, even when buying multipacks.

Nothing to see here, move along