Duel boot MacOS and Windows 10 Pro

Hello LTT forum, I recently built a budget pc on used parts. I didnt mean to, but in the process the components I happened to pick (Specifically the gpu) are in some older iMacs. I got a MacBook a few monthes ago and I've grown to love the interface of MacOS, so I really wanted to make it a duelboot machine. All the tutorials on how to make a bootable ISO from the macos installer havent worked for me. I don't have any experience with the software side of things so I was hoping someone on here would help me out.

The machine has an i7-3770, 16gb of duel-channel 1600mhz ram, an R9 290, a 120gb Samsung 850 Evo and a 500gb 7200rpm WD drive.

Hi,

Well, I know I will almost be beside the topic, but outside of the interface, is there something that you really "need" in Mac OS?

Usually, people transition from windows to mac environment because of a particular piece of software or feature they need to make use of.

If all there is that pull you to Mac environment is the interface, a simpler AND more-versatile option is possible.

Doing a hackintosh isn't an easy task, as each user will encounter slightly different issue, and there is a lot of troubleshooting to be involved in the process, and even once "done", you have no way to be at least confident that "everything will be fine", and it can crap on you without warning.

My alternative to that would be to go for a MacOS-like linux distro.

You get all the perk of running Linux environment (more software available to you, and since the last years, more game/engines support too!).

In the list of MacClones distros I know and tried in the past few years, I would name:

- elementary OS

which does look a awful lot like Mac OS and has a from-scratch desktop environment well polished, and has had steady updates in the last 4 years (because I did checked on it for a friend's computer regularly for the last 4 years). Based on Ubuntu.

-deepin

Less macOS-like in the immediate look, but still similar vibe. Based on Debian, but not so sure of its update cycle, though I haven't tried it for long, it seemed quite stable at the time.

-zorinOS

Built on ubuntu, this distro boast a really intuitive desktop environment, and actually a perk that a lot of people I know loved when they tried it: It comes with preloaded themes to switch between different desktop styles, including microsoft-styled and MacOS like.

I could also name KDE neon, that comes with all the eye candy of KDE plasma, but which is quite light in resources still.

All in all, if what you want to do can be done on Linux, and all you want is the MacOS feel more than its exclusive softwares, you will avoid a lot of hassles and have a better experience with Linux... and for that, a dual boot windows-linux is nothing near wizardry, it's also quite straight forward.

Heck, if even all you do on windows can be done on linux, you could even consider switching completely to linux and going for one of these distros that allow to switch from mac to windows-like desktops on the fly.

25 minutes ago, LaPlume said:

Hi,

Well, I know I will almost be beside the topic, but outside of the interface, is there something that you really "need" in Mac OS?

Usually, people transition from windows to mac environment because of a particular piece of software or feature they need to make use of.

If all there is that pull you to Mac environment is the interface, a simpler AND more-versatile option is possible.

Doing a hackintosh isn't an easy task, as each user will encounter slightly different issue, and there is a lot of troubleshooting to be involved in the process, and even once "done", you have no way to be at least confident that "everything will be fine", and it can crap on you without warning.

My alternative to that would be to go for a MacOS-like linux distro.

You get all the perk of running Linux environment (more software available to you, and since the last years, more game/engines support too!).

In the list of MacClones distros I know and tried in the past few years, I would name:

- elementary OS

which does look a awful lot like Mac OS and has a from-scratch desktop environment well polished, and has had steady updates in the last 4 years (because I did checked on it for a friend's computer regularly for the last 4 years). Based on Ubuntu.

-deepin

Less macOS-like in the immediate look, but still similar vibe. Based on Debian, but not so sure of its update cycle, though I haven't tried it for long, it seemed quite stable at the time.

-zorinOS

Built on ubuntu, this distro boast a really intuitive desktop environment, and actually a perk that a lot of people I know loved when they tried it: It comes with preloaded themes to switch between different desktop styles, including microsoft-styled and MacOS like.

I could also name KDE neon, that comes with all the eye candy of KDE plasma, but which is quite light in resources still.

All in all, if what you want to do can be done on Linux, and all you want is the MacOS feel more than its exclusive softwares, you will avoid a lot of hassles and have a better experience with Linux... and for that, a dual boot windows-linux is nothing near wizardry, it's also quite straight forward.

Heck, if even all you do on windows can be done on linux, you could even consider switching completely to linux and going for one of these distros that allow to switch from mac to windows-like desktops on the fly.

I've looked into those alternatives and I personally really like deepin, but there are other unix distros. I wonder if there are any that might compare?

What about solaris? Is it worth looking into?

8 hours ago, intelisfornoobs said:

What about solaris? Is it worth looking into?

It all depends on your usecase, are you just looking into it for the UI and how pretty it looks? if yes, then mostly all Linux Distros is customisable to your hearts content