ODAC vs Zero DAC

BennisTheMennis

Hi, first post so sorry if this has been asked before but i looked for about an hour.

I have some Fostex t50rp headphones coming and might be getting some sennheiser hd650s in the near future.

My current hd 595s which people say dont really need an amp are sounding to me like one is needed currently and HD650s and the Fostex definately need an amp.

I was kinda set on the ODAC + Objective2 combo but i saw the Zero DAC on ebay for about half the price and some great reviews online.

I'd like to get away with spending as little money as possible and portibility is not an issue at all, also maybe just buying the Objective2 amp is an option.

Any feedback would be appreciated, like to order the amp quickly as the T50rp is being shipped and i understand that those really need an amp to sound decent.

Thanks in advance.

zero dac is lower quality. It's decent but if you want the best for the price, o2 amp and dac

Just get the amp.

if his onboard isn't broken (making popping noises), sure just get the amp

zero dac is lower quality. It's decent but if you want the best for the price, o2 amp and dac

is it really noticible quality difference? I'd like to get away with spending less if possible but ill bite the bullet if necessary.

Wait, isn't the ZERO DAC also a headphone amp? Don't bother getting an O2 if you got a good deal on the ZERO.

Also is there any difference between the front and rear power versions other than $25, cable management is not a factor

Wait, isn't the ZERO DAC also a headphone amp? Don't bother getting an O2 if you got a good deal on the ZERO.

It's a dac and an amp, but it has the same problems as every other Chinese headphone amplifier. Bad QC, and it doesn't have a relay, so you get a really loud, painful thump and click when you turn it on and off. It also had a spell for about a month where it wouldn't work correctly and then it works fine now.

My current hd 595s which people say dont really need an amp are sounding to me like one is needed currently

what do you think you will gain from an amp?

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

what do you think you will gain from an amp?

sorry if i dont put this in the best words, whenever something that should be loud like a base hit or loud trebble it almost sounds like it is throttling back and it doesnt sound quite right, that and i will need one as i believe the impedence on the t50rp is 120 ohms (however ive seen some specs saying 50) and the hd 650 is 250 ohms

part of me thinks it's a problem with the recordings or something physically wrong with the drivers, I had a pair of 595's and they gained almost nothing from an amp.

as for the other headphones, buy the headphones first, then decide if you want an amp.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

ive started to hear some popping in the sound and ive suspected the integrated audio was not particurally high quality (HP Beats integrated Audio) so i will probably get the dac and amp combo

double check and make sure there's no eq or effects enabled.

if effects boost the sound it can cause the output to clip.

Fiio e17 for / the price is a killer deal if you are on a budget.

it has the advantage to be used everywhere because it does not need an AC power like the O2 / ODAC.

it can also be used on android smartphone with OTG cable and it has hardware EQ.

in terms of sound quality, Fiio E17 sounds almost as good as O2 / ODAC for half the price and they both have neutral sound quality.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Fiio e17 for / the price is a killer deal if you are on a budget.

it has the advantage to be used everywhere because it does not need an AC power like the O2 / ODAC.

it can also be used on android smartphone with OTG cable and it has hardware EQ.

in terms of sound quality, Fiio E17 sounds almost as good as O2 / ODAC for half the price and they both have neutral sound quality.

I looked these up and they dont drive the propper ohms i need, I also has a lower end fiio product a while ago and it seemed very cheeply made

Thanks for the recomendation though

I looked these up and they dont drive the propper ohms i need, I also has a lower end fiio product a while ago and it seemed very cheeply made

Thanks for the recomendation though

FiiO just has some typos on their website, they can easily drive 300 ohm headphones. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I ended up getting the objective2, i think the popping noises i was getting was just lower quality files

I ended up getting the objective2, i think the popping noises i was getting was just lower quality files

Time to switch to Spotify.  B)

Time to switch to Spotify.  B)

thats actually what i was using were you talking about the paid higher quality version?

thats actually what i was using were you talking about the paid higher quality version?

Well, I was joking, but I do use Spotify's Premium service. It depends on the song, honestly - some tracks are simply of poor quality, and a higher bitrate file aint gonna make it sound better. Some older albums on Spotify always sound like bad mp3's from napster.

Well, I was joking, but I do use Spotify's Premium service. It depends on the song, honestly - some tracks are simply of poor quality, and a higher bitrate file aint gonna make it sound better. Some older albums on Spotify always sound like bad mp3's from napster.

i figured that would be the case, do you think it is worth watever the price is for the higher bitrate files? also on netflix last night seemed like whenever they were talking there were popping noises.

i figured that would be the case, do you think it is worth watever the price is for the higher bitrate files? 

No, I only pay for so I can use the app on my phone.

also on netflix last night seemed like whenever they were talking there were popping noises.

Sounds like you need a new DAC... 

No, I only pay for so I can use the app on my phone.

Sounds like you need a new DAC... 

well it should be here on tuesday according to mayflower :D