TavY

Hello guys!

Specs before the problem:

Ryzen 5 2400G

2x4GB RAM clocked at 2400mhz

RX 580 with 8GB VRAM

1TB HDD (no ssd unfortunately)

A thermaltake 550w psu

This problem has been happening a lot of time lately. 

Let's say I want to go play GTA V with my friends, while on discord. (Or any other game, doesn't matter)

It all starts well and at some point in the game where my car has a lot of speed or where my car crashes against a pole for example, the game stutters for less than a second, but it is visible. After that point, stutters would begin to fill the game. I tried lowering the resolution/graphics but nothing works. The only thing that worked somehow was when I went into task manager, closed some background apps like Skype etc. and it worked for a few days. Then I disabled apps that would run on startup and deleted some apps I don't use anymore. It still stutters, but not so much. GTA isn't the only one, Rocket League or CS:GO being the other ones, which are not so consuming like GTA. I don't know what to do now.

That RAM is running at quite a low frequency, especially for Ryzen. Enable an XMP/DOCP profile if not enabled already, or you could manually overclock it.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

1 minute ago, Husky said:

That RAM is running at quite a low frequency, especially for Ryzen. Enable an XMP/DOCP profile if not enabled already, or you could manually overclock it.

I've enabled XMP since the first day. I knew it was a low frequency and I bought the Corsair Vengeance RAM because I knew it would handle overclocking.

5 minutes ago, TavY said:

I've enabled XMP since the first day. I knew it was a low frequency and I bought the Corsair Vengeance RAM because I knew it would handle overclocking.

Try overclocking it higher then. Leave the XMP enabled and raise the frequency to 2666 MHz, and then 3000 if 2666 was stable and so on. Use memtest86 to test for stability.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

I'd buy a $60 ssd and install the games you are playing currently on it...I'm certain it would not hurt ;)

1 minute ago, Husky said:

Try overclocking it higher then. Leave the XMP enabled and raise the frequency to 2666 MHz, and then 3000 if 2666 was stable and so on. Use memtest86 to test for stability.

Ok, thanks! Going to try it tomorrow!

2 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

I'd buy a $60 ssd and install the games you are playing currently on it...I'm certain it would not hurt ;)

Yes I was about to do that, a 256gb add for 2-3 games I play. Would you recommend M.2 or the normal SSD?

I'd get a m.2 NVMe Samsung EVO Plus 256gb...like $75 I think with shipping/tax...it's the bee's knees.

9 hours ago, Stu_Bear said:

I'd get a m.2 NVMe Samsung EVO Plus 256gb...like $75 I think with shipping/tax...it's the bee's knees.

Perfect, that's what I was thinking about! Thanks!