Sapphire Radeon RX Nitro + 5700 XT

I am building a gaming pc for my roommate. I have gotten him a radeon rx nitro + 5700 xt, the computer is not freezing nor is the game crashing but it is freezing up temporarily during gameplay. the card has 2 8 pin pcie slots and i. Am using a 700w thermaltake psu, i suspect that its not getting enough power because the 2 8 pin pcie ports are split up on one cord. Does the card require 2 SEPARATE 8 pin cords?

Each 8 pin socket must be plugged in...each pin must have power supplied to it.  When you say "split up" are you referring to there being a 6-pin and 2-pin male power connector that you must join together to form a single 8-pin male power connector?  Or you referring to their being 2 separate 8-pin male power connecters?  

Despite being on the same cable, the two 6+2 pin connectors should be able to provide their rated power. The manufacturer wouldn't have put two on if they couldn't provide enough.

If it's freezing could the PC be running out of RAM and needing to load stuff in from the HDD?

CPU - Core i7 4770 RAM - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz GPU - XFX RX 470 4GB

SSD - 1TB TCSUNBOW X3 PSU - 500W Aerocool Integrator

14 minutes ago, LordMacrae said:

Despite being on the same cable, the two 6+2 pin connectors should be able to provide their rated power. The manufacturer wouldn't have put two on if they couldn't provide enough.

If it's freezing could the PC be running out of RAM and needing to load stuff in from the HDD?

Its got 32gbs of corsair vengeance 3200. I doubt its the ram... 

38 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Each 8 pin socket must be plugged in...each pin must have power supplied to it.  When you say "split up" are you referring to there being a 6-pin and 2-pin male power connector that you must join together to form a single 8-pin male power connector?  Or you referring to their being 2 separate 8-pin male power connecters?  

They are 6 + 2 pin connectors but there are 2 of the 6 + 2 pin connectors on one cord.

3 minutes ago, TheNurn2828 said:

Its got 32gbs of corsair vengeance 3200. I doubt its the ram... 

In that case, assuming the temps are all OK, I'd think it was more likely a driver issue, the 5700 series has had quite a few reports on driver issues. Does the freezing happen in all games or just one?

CPU - Core i7 4770 RAM - 16GB DDR3 1600MHz GPU - XFX RX 470 4GB

SSD - 1TB TCSUNBOW X3 PSU - 500W Aerocool Integrator

Just now, LordMacrae said:

In that case, assuming the temps are all OK, I'd think it was more likely a driver issue, the 5700 series has had quite a few reports on driver issues. Does the freezing happen in all games or just one?

The freezing occurs in most games but more often in Modern Warfare.

11 minutes ago, TheNurn2828 said:

The freezing occurs in most games but more often in Modern Warfare.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has quite a lot of freezing issues for many people, myself included. It often freezes for about 10 seconds every 15 mins or so for me.

If it freezes in all games then it is probably a driver issue. The drivers for RDNA 5000 series have had a lot of issues for many people.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

So the power cable is a non-issue.  What kind of hard drive you got the game installed on?  How much ram do you have?  What cpu?  

15 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

So the power cable is a non-issue.  What kind of hard drive you got the game installed on?  How much ram do you have?  What cpu?  

500gb nvme m.2, 32 gbs ram, and a ryzen 7 1700.

Yeah I have no idea...think the previous posters spoke upon it being a common issue :(  Should ask the question if this is an on-line game?  Might be a network issue?

Just now, Stu_Bear said:

Yeah I have no idea...think the previous posters spoke upon it being a common issue with AMD :(  

Right on, thanks.

5700XT has major driver issues atm - my brother recently bought the same card. Reading around the web some people said that the driver version 19.7.5 is good. I installed it for him and he couldn't reproduce the problems he had before. BUT i also updated his bios and chipset driver so could be a hit and miss for you.

here is the old drivers page:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

On 1/9/2020 at 1:38 PM, LukaH said:

5700XT has major driver issues atm - my brother recently bought the same card. Reading around the web some people said that the driver version 19.7.5 is good. I installed it for him and he couldn't reproduce the problems he had before. BUT i also updated his bios and chipset driver so could be a hit and miss for you.

here is the old drivers page:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

I actually figured out the problem. Between all the rgb lighting and other stuff the psu i had installed was underpowered. When i installed a 750w psu the problems went away. 

2 hours ago, TheNurn2828 said:

I actually figured out the problem. Between all the rgb lighting and other stuff the psu i had installed was underpowered. When i installed a 750w psu the problems went away. 

Glad you figured it out :)

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)