high end pc doesnt feel very high end

MarcooTBH

Okay so at this point i am just done, so my new pc that i got around a month or so ago now, just doesnt run my games very well. Watch dogs 2 run at 80 - 120fps on lowest  and still feels choppy and laggy, csgo has around 250 fps in normal games but with a bit of input lag for some reason, in danger zone its down to 120 and it feels like 40 fps, assasins creed unity runs at 70 - 100 fps on lowest yet still feels like 40 - 60fps and feels choppy and just wierd, arma 3 runs absolut shit, at around 30- 70 fps depending where i am at the lowest settings, the newest modern warfare runs at like 100 - 150 fps but i get input lag, and it certainly doesnt feel like 150 fps, more like 55 fps.  Shadow of tomb raider runs at 60 - 100 fps but feels again like 45 - 60 fps, and steep runs at around 100 fps too but feels like 50 - 70fps. I really just dont know what to do, I feel like a pc like this should EASILY be able to run these games at 120fps with no problems of any sort like input lag, stuttering etc.   I have tried using asus gpu tweaker and it doesnt seem to help at all. I have tried with g-sync enabled and desabled no difference. PLEASE help :(

144hz 1440p monitor
Asus Strix ROG 2080 ti

I9 9900KS
64GB DDR4 ram

2tb EVO SSD

13 minutes ago, MarcooTBH said:

Okay so at this point i am just done, so my new pc that i got around a month or so ago now, just doesnt run my games very well. Watch dogs 2 run at 80 - 120fps on lowest 

Probably just reinstall windows and update your motherboard bios.

also really didn't need 64GBs of RAM for a gaming PC...not that it would matter for performance.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Probably just reinstall windows and update your motherboard bios.

also really didn't need 64GBs of RAM for a gaming PC...not that it would matter for performance.

Reinstalled windows 2 weeks ago so dont know if that would be needed, also this might be a very very stupid question, but how do i update my motherboard bios?  

Just now, MarcooTBH said:

Reinstalled windows 2 weeks ago so dont know if that would be needed, also this might be a very very stupid question, but how do i update my motherboard bios?  

The motherboard maker should have a video for it on youtube, or instructions on their website, usually you just need to put the bios file onto a FAT32 formatted flash drive.

may need to rename it to something specific.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, MarcooTBH said:

All depends on your motherboard, some motherboards have their own website where you can download their latest bios and use their software to install it. In some cases, you may need a USB stick with the update and go through your BIOS for updating. I would suggest looking up how to update your motherboard BIOS on YouTube or find the website and see if it has step-by-step instructions on updating.

Some have CD's which sometimes contain the latest BIOS and I believe there are actually some you can just update it through BIOS and check for updates.

CoreTemp or CPUID may be able to help you check for updates, and if you do have software that goes with your motherboard, they may have a guide to update it there or have it embedded for updating.

Dumb question, but want to be sure: did you install your chipset drivers, graphics drivers, etc. after installing Windows?

Also, what are your temperatures like? And CPU/GPU usage %?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 minute ago, Nocte said:

Dumb question, but want to be sure: did you install your chipset drivers, graphics drivers, etc. after installing Windows?

Also, what are your temperatures like? And CPU/GPU usage %?

I'm unsure if I did install my chipset drivers, but I have the latest graphics drivers and Windows went through a device setup on first boot from my new system.

Btw, I never re-installed Windows. I always had it on my HDD (1TB, entirely filled) didn't want to flash it and remove any of my data. But I have latest Windows, and all I did was hook up the new hardware. It came with a CD, which I don't have a CD drive on my new case. I never went through that.

I installed the RGBFusion 2.0 (motherboard software) and it seems to work fine, all the RGB lights are controllable through the software.

Usage for both my GPU and CPU stick around 40 and NEVER go past 48% I believe. I know for a fact it doesn't get past 50%, ever.

In some cases, CPU is about 2-10% less than GPU.

Temps are great, and in F, GPU around 125-140 and CPU is the same. CPU a bit more, floating around 130.

Yeah that sounds like an awful pc...tell you what:  You ship me your pc and I'll ship you my pc...problem solved ;) 

Seriously I'd try this:

Step 1:  Remove 2 sticks of ram

Step 2:  Add an m.2 NVMe drive...small, but fast 970 EVO Plus 256gb is fine...$69.99 from the amazonian site. 

Step 3:  Install all games currently being played on the NVMe...do NOT exceed 75% of the drive's capacity.  Keep the games you currently play on a separate drive from where you store your OS and applications so they aren't competing for IOPS on the drive.

Step 4:  Run "windows debloater" script in powershell....you can download from sourceforge or where ever...just leans out your Windows 10 installation.

Step 5:  Disable all non-essential startup applications in task manager before doing a reboot.

Step 6:  If you have overclocked your CPU...don't :)  Instead just enable MCE in BIOS using stock clock speeds.  

Step 7:  Crank up FLCK to 102.9.

Step 8:  Play your games and report back.

okay so motherboard has been updated! will try some games in a second and see how they run now.

13 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Yeah that sounds like an awful pc...tell you what:  You ship me your pc and I'll ship you my pc...problem solved ;) 

Seriously I'd try this:

Step 2:  Add an m.2 NVMe drive...small, but fast 970 EVO Plus 256gb is fine...$69.99 from the amazonian site. 

Step 3:  Install all games currently being played on the NVMe...do NOT exceed 75% of the drive's capacity.  Keep the games you currently play on a separate drive from where you store your OS and applications so they aren't competing for IOPS on the drive.

Step 4:  Run "windows debloater" script in powershell....you can download from sourceforge or where ever...just leans out your Windows 10 installation.

Step 5:  Disable all non-essential startup applications in task manager before doing a reboot.

Step 6:  If you have overclocked your CPU...don't :)  Instead just enable MCE in BIOS using stock clock speeds.  

I really dont feel comfortable even touching the inside of my pc, as i have basically no idea what i am doing when it comes to that. My pc was prebuild.

also i already have a 2TB Evo  NVMe m.2 drive so i dont see why this would be neccasery?   

19 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Seriously I'd try this:

Overcomplicated. 

Just make sure your W10 install was clean and free of bloatware, and install chipset and GPU drivers. Then confirm in the BIOS that your RAM is running at the XMP settings, and keep an eye on temps in games. 

Also sure your monitor is running the full refresh rate? Sometimes the drivers default to pushing 60Hz, and you have to set it to 144 in Nvidia Settings. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, MarcooTBH said:

also i already have a 2TB Evo  NVMe m.2 drive so i dont see why this would be neccasery?   

I agree with you...it shouldn't be a problem if it's an NVMe...didn't notice it was an NVMe till you just now mentioned it.  

8 minutes ago, MarcooTBH said:

Then I'd skip steps 1 thru 3...steps 4 thru 8 I think are reasonable.  If it's a prebuild I don't know if they'd have overclocked it anyways....you'd have to run cpu-id or install "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" to see what's going on.

I make sure my games are running at 144hz yes, and i have now installed my chipset drivers, everything else was already installed.  Gonna see how my games run now :)

to be honest i dont know how to check that..         Does this show anything regarding that? 

aaaaas.PNG

okay so my games seem to run a little bit better!  Black ops 4 runs better, atleast on the map that i tried and there is way less input lag, Modern warfare seems better too on the map i tested it on, with  little to know input lag, watch dogs, also seems to run a bit better.   Rust however still seems to have a hard time running smoothly, tho i am getting around 80 - 120 fps it still feels choppy and laggy. 

also yes i have a water cooling system, and my power supply should not be the problem.

3 minutes ago, MarcooTBH said:

Rust however still seems to have a hard time running smoothly, tho i am getting around 80 - 120 fps it still feels choppy and laggy. 

That's just Rust lol. Poorly optimized games are choppy even on overkill hardware. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Okay so i installed CPU-Z and this is what it tells me

A3666666666666666666.PNG

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

That's just Rust lol. Poorly optimized games are choppy even on overkill hardware. 

yeah okay, i figured. Tho my old pc seems to run to be able to run the game fine, and i have alot of friends who play it just fine with lower end

2 minutes ago, Rac3rZer0 said:

does your motherboard have a USB port only for bios flashing? If so, download a bios flash from the OFFICIAL SITE, or it'll just make it worse. Then flash the bios with the flashing tool, this only works is your bios has a dedicated bios flashing USB or any USB that supports it What Motherboard is it? otherwise your going to maybe get it to tech support, as Ive never really had a gaming PC before, but can understand this stuff a little.

Why do they need to do a BIOS flash? This isn't Zen, Intel's newer chips haven't had issues that needed to be fixed by a BIOS update, and the OP certainly isn't having any of the symptoms of an issue like that. 

6 minutes ago, MarcooTBH said:

yeah okay, i figured. Tho my old pc seems to run to be able to run the game fine, and i have alot of friends who play it just fine with lower end

Weirdly running games can be really inconsistent, though often there's tweaks to get them to run properly with reasonably consistency. I don't play Rust so IDK if there's something like that or not. 

Main PC 

does this mean my ram runs at 1069mhz? or am i stupid?

A3666666666666666666.PNG

27 minutes ago, MarcooTBH said:

okay so my games seem to run a little bit better!  Black ops 4 runs better, atleast on the map that i tried and there is way less input lag, Modern warfare seems better too on the map i tested it on, with  little to know input lag, watch dogs, also seems to run a bit better.   Rust however still seems to have a hard time running smoothly, tho i am getting around 80 - 120 fps it still feels choppy and laggy. 

isnt rust an unfinished early access game?

and you are on the latest drivers? maybe try a different version

even at 2133mhz your RAM shouldnt affect performance

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

isnt rust an unfinished early access game?

and you are on the latest drivers? maybe try a different version

i am on the latest driver version yes, and no the game went out of early access back in 2018