What is the best case for thermal performance?

BarackOBatman

Hello

What would you consider to be the best stock computer case from a thermal performance standpoint And ignoring factors such as aesthetics/RGB LEDs and noise?

I'm looking at the Silverstone RL06 as it nearly tops Gamers Nexus' thermal performance charts. I'm putting an emphasis on GPU thermal performance since this is the single most important component in a gaming PC and every degree counts for Nvidia GPU boost.

Note that this PC will be used exclusively for gaming.

I see that (according to Gamers Nexus standardized testing) the cooler master HAF X and SL600M beat this case in GPU thermals, but the HAF is nearly impossible to find and the SL600M has poor CPU thermal results by comparison. The RL06 has it all.

Thoughts?

My System will be:

Nvidia RTX 2080 ti (Gigabyte Gaming OC)

Intel i7 8700k (5.1 GHZ binned and de-lidded by silicon lottery)

Dark Rock Pro 4

Z390 Aorus Master

2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200 MHz CL16

2 x 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO SLI

EVGA SUPERNOVA 650W G3

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

1 minute ago, Lorant said:

GN does good work, so you already have your answer(s).

I agree with their results.

Agreed

The only other considerations I really had are cases which have not been tested by GN.

Thanks

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

Thermaltake P3 since it's just a test bench with an extra piece of glass. Tbh most mesh front cases can match the RL06 if you fill them up with fans, they just don't come from the factory as so.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Thermaltake P3 since it's just a test bench with an extra piece of glass. Tbh most mesh front cases can match the RL06 if you fill them up with fans, they just don't come from the factory as so.

Interestingly, the thermaltake P3, performs worse from a thermal standpoint versus the RL06 according to GamersNexus Testing.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2921-thermaltake-core-p3-review-quality-test-bench-alternative

Are we only including fans that come with the case?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Are we only including fans that come with the case?

Yes, per the OP, the question is pertaining to the stock configuration.

Edit: if you can think of a noteworthy aftermarket combo, i'd definitely entertain the idea!

I already figure that any case would be improved if i replaced the stock fans with Noctua a12x25 fans or Corsair ML120s.

Stock with use of an AIO makes the R6 quiet AND good cooling.  Addition of the AIO adds 3 fans and you can always grab 1 or 2 more.

32 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

Edit: if you can think of a noteworthy aftermarket combo, i'd definitely entertain the idea!

I already figure that any case would be improved if i replaced the stock fans with Noctua a12x25 fans or Corsair ML120s.

in that case any horizontal test bench.  They’re only arguably cases though.  My personal favorite is a piece of half inch scrap plywood for $0

IMHO cases are mostly about looks and conveniences such as movabilitu, dust protection, and hardware mounting.  I simply do not understand why people pay more than $40 including fans unless they’re looking for something like sound dampening.  
That should probably go in the “unpopular tech opinions thread”.  I may yet put it there.

Why I think this:

As long as the fans are vertically mounted very cheap sleeve bearing fans work ok.  So adding like $10 worth of cheap sleeve case fans will make any badly performing case better than the best performing case with no fans.  A case designed not to use fans or that has, say, only one pre mounted, may work better with that number of fans but may not work as well as a case designed to use more once more are added.  Fan mounting holes do not denote design.  There are some cases out there with 2x140 in front that were never designed to use 140s but rather 120s, and consequently don’t work well with them even if they have the holes.

The noctuas are modified rifle bearing.  Specifically FDB so they work in both horizontal positions (top,bottom) as well as side to side.  A cheapo sleeve fan won’t last quite as long of course even vertical.  Surprisingly close though.  It’s the horizontal configurations where they croak really fast.  AIO coolers would be sort of a cheat in this case because they’re effectively also case fans.  Something “designed for watercooling” often mean simply that it’s airflow  requires fans in its “watercooling” slot 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, BarackOBatman said:

Phanteks P400A have great airflow as well. I have currently P400S , still waiting for stock of mesh pannels in one store in here (UK) , as soon as they have it back I’m ordering it.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS