Router Suggestion

Joos

Hello everyone!

Happy new year!

I come from a traumatic purchase of a Tp-Link C7 router. To tell the truth I was very frustrated with the brand for the lousy support they give. In short ... I returned the product and no longer intend to buy TP-LINK.

So I'm looking again for a router that suits me.

Above I'll give you details with the requirements.

I live in a townhouse where we are my wife and I, hardly we receive any visitors. I use the internet intensely. That is, I work with remote connections, international meetings (Brazil vs. Europe vs Costa Rica vs US vs Japan, etc) by Teams, Skype, Skype for Business, online game (PUBG, and others) and I have several devices connected to the current router (DVR, Alarm Center, 3 mobile devices and in the future I will have a new Smart TV (4K).).

My internet has a 240mb link.  I'm looking for another router because my current one does not supports 240 ...

My internet cable comes into my house and is distributed by a modem. My Linksys is currently used in Bridge mode. I left it like that because it's a 15 year old router. It can not stand all the devices connected to it ...

With the next router I have no problem using it on a decentralized basis (two different IPs).

On the other hand it should be stable and have good manufacturer support (which TP-LINK is not and does not have).

My technical requirements are:

• USB;
  • MU-MIMO
  • Can be used with DD-WRT

Which router recommend me?

Thank you very much!

I use an Archer AC1200 from TP Link, it has a USB port, can use DDWRT, and I assume MU MIMO though Ive not had to really get into the config for that

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

32 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

I use an Archer AC1200 from TP Link, it has a USB port, can use DDWRT, and I assume MU MIMO though Ive not had to really get into the config for that

Lol. reread the post and saw you no longer like TP Link, sorry should really stop skimming through posts. I hope you find a router that works for you

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

33 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

Unfortunately it doesn't have MU-MIMO. And I'm avoiding to buy TP-LINK.

Thanks!

Just now, Joos said:

Unfortunately doesn't have MU-MIMO. And I'm avoiding to buy TP-LINK.

Thanks!

Out of interest since im still kind of a networking noob, what is Mu MIMO?

1 hour ago, Joos said:

Hello everyone!

Happy new year!

I come from a traumatic purchase of a Tp-Link C7 router. To tell the truth I was very frustrated with the brand for the lousy support they give. In short ... I returned the product and no longer intend to buy TP-LINK.

So I'm looking again for a router that suits me.

Above I'll give you details with the requirements.

I live in a townhouse where we are my wife and I, hardly we receive any visitors. I use the internet intensely. That is, I work with remote connections, international meetings (Brazil vs. Europe vs Costa Rica vs US vs Japan, etc) by Teams, Skype, Skype for Business, online game (PUBG, and others) and I have several devices connected to the current router (DVR, Alarm Center, 3 mobile devices and in the future I will have a new Smart TV (4K).).

My internet has a 240mb link.  I'm looking for another router because my current one does not supports 240 ...

My internet cable comes into my house and is distributed by a modem. My Linksys is currently used in Bridge mode. I left it like that because it's a 15 year old router. It can not stand all the devices connected to it ...

With the next router I have no problem using it on a decentralized basis (two different IPs).

On the other hand it should be stable and have good manufacturer support (which TP-LINK is not and does not have).

My technical requirements are:

• USB;
  • MU-MIMO
  • Can be used with DD-WRT

Which router recommend me?

Thank you very much!

I have the Synology RT2600 AC. We have 2 Roku's, 2 Firesticks, 3 phones, a Desktop, a Chromebook, a Nintendo Swtich and a Nintendo Wii all connected via WiFi. Wired wise I have my desktop, NAS, Plex server and HD Homerun connected. All seems to work great. 

The Negatives, its not DDWRT capable. Cool features. This router has dual WAN capablity with the support for 4G LTE via USB. It has 1 USB 3.0 port, USB2.0 port and an SDcard reader. 

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac#specs

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

11 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I have the Synology RT2600 AC. We have 2 Roku's, 2 Firesticks, 3 phones, a Desktop, a Chromebook, a Nintendo Swtich and a Nintendo Wii all connected via WiFi. Wired wise I have my desktop, NAS, Plex server and HD Homerun connected. All seems to work great. 

The Negatives, its not DDWRT capable. Cool features. This router has dual WAN capablity with the support for 4G LTE via USB. It has 1 USB 3.0 port, USB2.0 port and an SDcard reader. 

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac#specs

It doesn't have MU-MIMo. :(

Thank anyway.

2 minutes ago, Joos said:

It doesn't have MU-MIMo. :(

Thank anyway.

• MU-MIMO
  • 2x2 160 MHz (contiguous 80 + 80 MHz)
  • 2x2 80 + 80 MHz (discontiguous)

Its under the IEEE 802.11 AC Wave 2 discription further down. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:
  • MU-MIMO
  • 2x2 160 MHz (contiguous 80 + 80 MHz)
  • 2x2 80 + 80 MHz (discontiguous)

Its under the IEEE 802.11 AC Wave 2 discription further down. 

Yo expensive to me... :( 

$199

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Joos said:

Yo expensive to me... :( 

$199

Thank you!

For the sake of the thread, what price points are you looking at? 

Price arround $150 as the RT-AC68U.

Maby I will give a new chance to TP Link;

What do you thing about: TP-Link ARCHER A9 AC1900 

3 hours ago, Joos said:

and is distributed by a modem

Looked at your orginal post again. Is this a standard modem or a modem/Router. Just so we are on the same page. 

27 minutes ago, Joos said:

Maby I will give a new chance to TP Link;

What do you thing about: TP-Link ARCHER A9 AC1900 

My only expirence with TP Link was with the ARCHER C7. Unlike you I did not have a bad expirence setting it up for my sister. It worked well, but you could tell from the firmware that it was a "BUDGET" product. Most people just look at the wireless standard but pay little attention to the software. I can tell you from personal expirence the software can make or break a router. My old Dlink DIR835 N900 router has attrocious firmware. Then I flashed it with DDWRT and all was good again, other than DDWRT caused it to run hot as fuck. So I had to actively cool it. It lasted a little over a year with DDWRT before I picked up my current router. ASUS is another option as I have heard their MERLIN firmware is solid, but its not preinstalled. So.... you will have to do some leg work. 

To add: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ this site should have reviews and more info on the hardware and software. A the very least you can use the router chooser to find routers with the feature set your looking for. Then look at pricing. 

I just spent like $150 importing a apu board from pcengines and use a cheap tmobile ac86u router as an access point. Got that at goodwill for $4. 

Ok...

Lets make it diferent:

What would be your option:

1. Archer A9
  2. D-LINK 878
  3. RT-AC68U
  4. DIR-882
  5. MR8300 (no DD-WRT)

DD-WRT is a deal breaker?

What is a deal braker for you?

Thanks you!

If you want to buy a router backed up by DD-WRT you should check whatever router would fall into your price range from the dd-wrt supported routers list.But keep in mind to ask for or check what version that router is some newer models might not be supported yet.

Even if you had a gigabit connection you could have a decent wifi router arround 100 dollars price range or less that would have really good performance.For example Asus RT-AC1200G+ is supported by dd-wrt but even with the stock firmware it performs really well on a gigabit connection with speeds of approx 850+mbps down and 600+mbps up(Cable) and that translates into a download of above 60 MB/S(cable) with that router. Keep in mind 1 Megabyte = 8 Megabits that means when you use speedtest you divide the results by 8 and you get the real MB/S bandwith.

Also Asus has a lot of features,you can use your HDD as a media server(movies and so on). Compared to TP-link,d-link , Asus software is more versatile than the ones stated before.

For example i have a D-link that can go with a maximum speed of 850+ download an 500+upload on speedtest but after an hour after let's say after a reboot or no use at all the CPU overheats,the speeds lower to 300-350 mbps down/up or lower and i had to open it and add a heatsink on the CPU so it won't cook itself to death.This also has a realtek cpu(pure junk) not a broadcom or qualcomm cpu.Let's not talk about the software inside D-link... TP-link has more versatility software but not as much as Asus routers do.

Maybe you should focus your attention on Netgear, Linksys this have a background into networking compared to the ones above.

So if your main focus is WIFI  and also have a ton of features go with Asus.Any model above 1200g+ is a good option if it has usb 2.0 or even usb 3.0 .

I'm still searching for a router... LOL

I'm thinking to remove the USB as a requirement. If I have USB, DD-WRT and MU-MIMO. I'll pay to much for a router.

My new requirements are:

• MU-MIMO
  • DD-WRT.

If you have other suggestions, it will be very useful.

Thank you!

40 minutes ago, Joos said:

I'm still searching for a router... LOL

I'm thinking to remove the USB as a requirement. If I have USB, DD-WRT and MU-MIMO. I'll pay to much for a router.

My new requirements are:

• MU-MIMO
  • DD-WRT.

If you have other suggestions, it will be very useful.

Thank you!

USB is not what adds to the price. Even a shit router has USB. It’s the MU-MIMO that’s probably driving up the cost. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

USB is not what adds to the price. Even a shit router has USB. It’s the MU-MIMO that’s probably driving up the cost. 

Yes. You are right.

Well.. Finally I bought the Dir-882.

It will delivered tomorrow. I'll test it and let you know my review.

The general review is good and have all my original requirements.

I hope that I made a good choice.

What do you thing?

Thank you!!!!

4 hours ago, Joos said:

Yes. You are right.

Well.. Finally I bought the Dir-882.

It will delivered tomorrow. I'll test it and let you know my review.

The general review is good and have all my original requirements.

I hope that I made a good choice.

What do you thing?

Thank you!!!!

My experience with their software was meh. But if it supports DDWRT then I would think it would be fine. 

On 1/7/2020 at 5:04 PM, Donut417 said:

My experience with their software was meh. But if it supports DDWRT then I would think it would be fine. 

Well.. After 4 day of struggling with DIR 882. I will return it to the Vendor.

USB sharing and printer sharing do not work correctly. 

After sending several emails to Dlink support. They answered only one after 2 days. With a solution that didn't work. 

Firmware bugs, that stuck the router and make you login several times to make the same thing...

Now I understand why this brand is not so popular... Tomorow I will return it to the vendor.

Horrible!!!

Starting to search for a new router. Can somebody help me please?

Thank you!

Id say dial down your expectations at this price range. For instance the cheapest unify ap is 2x2 mimo and it costs about what you want to spend on a router+switch+ap+nas combo.......

14 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Id say dial down your expectations at this price range. For instance the cheapest unify ap is 2x2 mimo and it costs about what you want to spend on a router+switch+ap+nas combo.......

Thats why I'm thinking to buy a more expensive router.