Leaked GPU Specs Suggest Xbox Series X Substantially More Powerful Than PS5

Cell processor 2.0.   

cell 1.0 was a fun scenario that lasted for YEARS and even today is still a pretty damn powerful chip.  is PS was to really outclass microsoft, the new hardware will be RISC based and require concise, highly optimzed code.   add in some futureproof cores and voila, PS3 all over again.

2 hours ago, JCBiggs said:

Cell processor 2.0.   

cell 1.0 was a fun scenario that lasted for YEARS and even today is still a pretty damn powerful chip.  is PS was to really outclass microsoft, the new hardware will be RISC based and require concise, highly optimzed code.   add in some futureproof cores and voila, PS3 all over again.

Nobody in game development that used Cell actually wants that, the opposing console at the time was also RISC and basically everything before it. It's not really RISC that was the pain in the ass it was the SPE's and getting those to play ball.

Now with consoles being x86 architecture multiple platform releases are so much easier and cheaper so going back is highly unlikely.

Honestly though modern CPUs today really are not that CISC like in execution, all the instruction sets and accelerators are RISC in nature. If you look at any performance comparisons between Power9, ARM, Xeon and EPYC you'll see it's quite rare for Power9 to be what would be considered all that competitive with Xeon or EPYC. Consoles just aren't the use case where something like Power9 holds it's own.

Cell BE is my favorite CPU ever but it's not coming to consoles ever again.

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

Nobody in game development that used Cell actually wants that, the opposing console at the time was also RISC and basically everything before it. It's not really RISC that was the pain in the ass it was the SPE's and getting those to play ball.

Now with consoles being x86 architecture multiple platform releases are so much easier and cheaper so going back is highly unlikely.

Honestly though modern CPUs today really are not that CISC like in execution, all the instruction sets and accelerators are RISC in nature. If you look at any performance comparisons between Power9, ARM, Xeon and EPYC you'll see it's quite rare for Power9 to be what would be considered all that competitive with Xeon or EPYC. Consoles just aren't the use case where something like Power9 holds it's own.

Cell BE is my favorite CPU ever but it's not coming to consoles ever again.

My point was more so based around the idea that the hardware manufacturers need to force higher quality code.   its amazing how fast a piece of highly optimized C runs on bare metal.   I know GPU's are basically as power efficient as you can get, so I dont know how much optimizing could be found there.