[deleted]

Magus
1 minute ago, Magus said:

Hmm, I see... I kinda feel like what I want is probably more Inverse-U then, would it not?

Bright side of neutral seems to be where I like it. I feel like that's what the SRH940 more-or-less is. As was the original AKG Q701, although I must say I think the K7XX sounds better than the Q701 because it's the same thing but with more bass response without sacrificing the good highs.

Have you ever tried the Koss or Focal? I know Tyll really likes the Focal lineup.

I have not tried the koss but I have tried the Focal. I love the elex. it's neutral clean and detailed. and is on my list of potential upgrades. buddy Im discussing this with has tried both and liked both and are both in agreement that we think both would be up your alley

also a good example of a midrange first headphone is the hd 600 and 650 adn are basically inverse U's

6 minutes ago, Magus said:

Well when we talk about the Koss and the Elex, the Elex is $100 more, but the Koss is electrostatic and comes with an amplifier. Would electrostatic not offer some advantages over dynamic and when you conisder the included amplifier and that it's $100 less... if there's not a quality difference between them, would the Koss not be a wiser choice?

The Elex would need to have a noticeably better quality to justify itself, no? Wonder what you and your buddy think of that.

direct qoute from buddy who is more knowledgeable than me especially at higher price points 

"So personally I think the elex is on a higher tier and would match his preferences more
the 95x is good though and it's a really good value but also the build on the elex is leagues better .it really depends. the elex is way more dynamic and also W shaped so he would enjoy the signature more also has better soundstage"

more from him
it can recreate a room better imo
the koss are more detail forward and a bit more compressed
they don't extend as well but are very quick and layered

It's worth noting that I can find some Sennheiser HD800S for around this pricepoint, surprisingly. Would the Elex still be a victor here?

IMO thewelex is also the victor here 800s to me is too bright. and not that enjoyable and if  you really care about the mids the elex to me sounds better in that respect. but how is the 800's at that price point ? it should be the 700s

also the atom/heresy + topping d10 would be great for the elex as its not very amp picky like the 800s can be

if you go with the 800s then you will have too really look into spending more on an amp like tubes and such

4 minutes ago, Magus said:

And then there's this as well: https://www.amazon.com/Sabaj-Converter-Headphones-Amplifier-Preamplifier/dp/B07PYRM6J6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=9038+DAC&qid=1578107724&sr=8-1

That's a stack solution being sold together apparently.

Basically just me sticking to the 9038Pro and looking around for what's available with that chip. The AE-9 soundcard also has it.

dont get so stuck on a DAC chip just cause the AE 9 has it doesnt mean its that great. how a DAC sounds depends heavely on imprementation and how it  outputs. and honestly the sabaj stack way is more than you need. the D50 paired with an atom is pretty great. 

21 minutes ago, Magus said:

So D50s rather than the D10 I take it. Yeah the D50s specs do interest me more.

The Objective 2 is hardly any pricier -- would it be a better amp, or still the atom?

The 02 is a much older amp and isn't really competitive. the atom is much better

Hmm... you'd think they'd make generational improvements. Alrighty then.

Topping doesn't make a good amp themselves? You'd think with a Topping DAC you'd just go ahead and get an amp to make a good looking stack.

lol sorry I edited it I fucked up wititng it the atom is newe the the o2 and the atom is much better than the o2.topping makes a amp that can stack it just has issues unlike the  d50s 

a nice looking DAC/amp the Element 2 is highly regarded but is just pricey and competes with the sabaj

2 minutes ago, Magus said:

Wearing the K7XX again with volume turned-up really does make me remember how much I already like this setup. K7XX at mid-high listening levels sounds really good.

I'll need to think on whether or not upgrading is worth it I guess. If the Elex really is a world away from what I already have. I just find it hard to imagine.

Sounds especially good with cinematic situations.

well good luck. but like any other hobby law of dimidhing returns hits audio too. 

3 minutes ago, Magus said:

I do like the Topping D50s specs better than the Element 2. I wouldn't mind pairing it with a EL AMP II, but at that price point I may as well go with the Sabaj stack I figure, if it's better. I don't mind having a slightly overkill setup if it makes sense.

Yeah I get you. I'll consider my options and think on it a while.

just take it slow and buy what your gut tell you to upgrade first and see where your at and if your happy with it. feel free to shoot me a DM or reply to me in this thread directy if you need help again. 

Just now, Magus said:

Sure thing, Lalatina.

First I'd need to consider how easy, or not, it'll really be to sell my existing hardware. Upgrading without selling would put me in an uncomfortable place. I should sell first before upgrading, probably.

you do you. just take it easy and dont fuck up your wallet too much. if you really want the elex  first it should run fine with your existing gear. its a rather easy headphone to drive. but if you want the dac first you can alway ru off on board for a while