PC won't post after re-installing Noctua NH-D15 cooler (metal clips touched the GPU?)

Go to solution Solved by jj9987,

It's possible that the clip (which conducts electricity) actually connected two parts on the GPU that shouldn't get connected. As said above, try the GPU in another motherboard.

There is a reason why it is recommended to not physically debug hardware with the PC running. :P

Hello, how are you?

My PC was running fine and then I've noticed one of the two fans of the Noctua NH-D15 was not spinning. I've opened the case and just tried to figure out if the connector was not plugged well, but in the process, I think one of the clips just touched the back panel of my GPU (with no backplate) and the PC instantly lost the video signal.

Now everytime I turn on the PC all the coolers run fine but there's no video signal, no post screen. The GPU fans spin for some seconds and then stops, but the system keeps working.
Is there any chance I've damaged the GPU? image.gif.60c73cd6219bc5839c59f82993bdb3e3.gif

I'll try to reinstall all components when I came from work, but I'm pretty sure it is all plugged well (PSU connectors), cause it was running fine before.

I tried clearing the CMOS with no luck too.

Thank you very much!

Yikes I did something similar a few weeks ago on my older AM3 motherboard. Had no graphics output whatsoever. Well it turned out the gpu was fine but the pcie x 16 seemed to be toast. If you have the option I'd slap it on another Mobo to rule out or in whether it's your gpu or motherboard. Simplest way to troubleshoot I'd think without breaking out my meter. 

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI Rx 5700 Mech OC, Cooler Master V850, MSI B450 Tomahawk, Ballistix Sport LT ddr4 4x16 32gb @ 3200Mhz, XPG Gammix nvme 256gb, XPG nvme 128gb, 

It's possible that the clip (which conducts electricity) actually connected two parts on the GPU that shouldn't get connected. As said above, try the GPU in another motherboard.

There is a reason why it is recommended to not physically debug hardware with the PC running. :P

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

11 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Of course, my fault ?‍♂️

I was just trying to check the cooler cable, and accidentally that metal clip touched the GPU. But if the cooler spins (even for 2 seconds), isn't it a good signal? If it was a short circuit, the GPU wouldn't turn on at all.

I don't have a second motherboard to test it, but I'll try to reinstall it later when I come from work. Thanks!

Put it in the lower pci-e slot.  Worth a shot

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI Rx 5700 Mech OC, Cooler Master V850, MSI B450 Tomahawk, Ballistix Sport LT ddr4 4x16 32gb @ 3200Mhz, XPG Gammix nvme 256gb, XPG nvme 128gb, 

3 minutes ago, PCO77 said:

I'll try it! 

Have a great day guys. Happy Friday! 

5 hours ago, PCO77 said:

Tried it, no luck

9 hours ago, Vinicius Silva said:

I was just trying to check the cooler cable, and accidentally that metal clip touched the GPU. But if the cooler spins (even for 2 seconds), isn't it a good signal? If it was a short circuit, the GPU wouldn't turn on at all.

That depends what exactly short circuited. It might just be a single component out of 1000s that affect the die, but not the cooler.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

9 hours ago, Vinicius Silva said:

But if the cooler spins (even for 2 seconds), isn't it a good signal?

Nope, doesn't tell anything. Likely initially tries to start, detects a fault somewhere and shuts down.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Great news!

I've reinstalled everything and didn't work. Then I tried to change the DVI cable to the another output and WORKED! Seems like it just damaged one of the GPU's output.

Working normally now. Well, lesson learned. ;-)

15 minutes ago, Vinicius Silva said:

Great news!

I've reinstalled everything and didn't work. Then I tried to change the DVI cable to the another output and WORKED! Seems like it just damaged one of the GPU's output.

Working normally now. Well, lesson learned. ?

Just advice for future, if you playing with components in your system always switch it off and unplug it, this way there is no power so less chance to damage anything.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

UPDATE:

Today when I tried to power on the PC after using it normally last night, the problem returned. There was no video signal on boot.

But after trying turning off and on, unplugging and pluggin it from wall a few times the video worked again. May the PSU be damaged too?

I'd start shopping. Even if it isn't the PSU it doesn't hurt to have a spare. I have been into this about 5 months now and I have 2 PSUs, 3 GPUs and a couple motherboards with CPUs and spare RAM. I've gone a bit overboard though. Lol

I think it died completely now, the GPU won't display video signal no matter how many times I try to unplug it and plug it.

Time to buy a new one, I'll try to buy a new PSU first too. :/ 

Thanks!

Hello,

I just bought a new GPU and it's working perfectly now (turned off everything first this time ?image.gif.0883243a2b1c6da4ea34593e63e4ee03.gif). Definitely the old GPU is dead.
One thing I did this time, that I read somewhere else, was inserting a cardboard of the same size of the GPU as a backplate. It worked perfectly!

Is it safe to put a cardboard on it?

15 minutes ago, Vinicius Silva said:

Hello,

I just bought a new GPU and it's working perfectly now (turned off everything first this time ?image.gif.0883243a2b1c6da4ea34593e63e4ee03.gif). Definitely the old GPU is dead.
One thing I did this time, that I read somewhere else, was inserting a cardboard of the same size of the GPU as a backplate. It worked perfectly!

Is it safe to put a cardboard on it?

Tbh I don’t see reason why you would need a cardboard backplate, it may increase temps as well. If you not gonna touch pcb of that card while it’s plug in you will be good.

i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

2 minutes ago, Whiro said:

Tbh I don’t see reason why you would need a cardboard backplate, it may increase temps as well. If you not gonna touch pcb of that card while it’s plug in you will be good.

The new GPU is actually touching the metal clips, it's a big bigger than the older card... The cardboard was necessary. Should I buy a proper backplate instead of cardboard? I found this: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-rtx-2080-ti-backplate-classic-black

1 minute ago, Vinicius Silva said:

The new GPU is actually touching the metal clips, it's a big bigger than the older card... The cardboard was necessary. Should I buy a proper backplate instead of cardboard? I found this: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-rtx-2080-ti-backplate-classic-black

Can you take pic of your system please? I want to see what exactly is touching 

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

Why not just put the card in a lower slot on the mobo? That's what I did with mine when I ran an NH-D15S on my board (EVGA put the top PCIe slot really close to the CPU socket so the cooler couldn't clear the GPU at all), if you're worried about toasting your new GPU, you should do that here as well. On another EVGA board I run an L12S, that also gets very close, but never actually makes contact with the GPU:

f2edfa1b5a3a5f08cb61e27412d5b2efc5fe524c.thumb.jpeg.b5b25590da70dedc49474fa795b9df58.jpeg

Cuts close, but I had no issues running it like this. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Cuts close, but I had no issues running it like this. 

Wow that’s really close ? but if you not gonna shake your pc when running it it’ll be alright. 

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

WHIRO

Hello,

Here it is. I'm using the cardboard as shown, that little metal clip would touch the pcb... And it's touching the cardboard now.

IMG_20200110_180925.jpg