Pentium G2020 upgrade to I5 3570?

So my hp compaq 6300 mt is quite weak so I've decided to upgrade my crappy Geforce gt 520 and my Pentium G2020. I want to get a 750 ti gpu and a i5 3570 cpu. I know that the 750 ti will work I'm but not so sure about the i5 3570. 

Thanks.

Can you find out the motherboard model and PSU? The CPUs are socket compatible, but those components might limit it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

@Eigenvektor

My motherboard is a Hewlett-Packard  339A and my psu is the original 320w.

These some hp's like mine came prebuilt with the cpu that i want to put in, but i'm not sure my motherboard will work with it because my current processor is a pentium and the one i want to upgrade is a core I5. The thing I'm basiclly trying to ask is can you upgrade a pentium to a intel core processor. 

9 minutes ago, AlfaRuma97 said:

@Eigenvektor

My motherboard is a Hewlett-Packard  339A and my psu is the original 320w. 

Ouch.  Not sure your going to have much room to do a processor upgrade with that.  The problem with systems like HP and other proprietary systems like that is that those machines aren't made with upgradability in mind.   Instead they are usually custom designed to work with their original, stock, parts.  For example, the MB will be designed with just enough performance to run the original processor and the PSU will have just enough power to run what came with the system.  This drives down costs for the manufacture.  Also this tends  to ensure that when you outgrow the machine, you have to go back out to the market to buy a new computer, hopefully another HP or so they are thinking.  

Anyway, maybe someone who knows more than I do about proprietary machines like this can give you some advice/hope but my guess is that there isn't going to be much you can do with it, at least not much that is worthwhile. 

@Midnitewolf

I've seen hp's like mine being upgraded with more poweful cpu's. But I suppose you can't upgrade to a intel core i series.

I tried looking up your motherboard online and couldn't find it for a specs list. Anyway you can post a link or picture? I feel like you should be fine going with the i5 if the socket is compatible. Worst case scenario you have to put a better power supply in your system too (I'd do this anyway if it'd fit in your case). 

@TravisTea

Here's a motherboard on ebay you can see what it looks like: https://www.ebay.com/p/1307551890

Here's the pc specifications where it says what stuff came with those hp's prebuilt: https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c03382665 

The psu isn't upgradable unless you get a 24 pin to 6 pin adapter. But the original 320w one is just fine, as some of these hp's came prebuilt with the i5 3570 and the 750 ti doesn't need much power to work. I don't need the cpu just yet but i want to be sure for the future. I'll only be getting the gpu for now.

55 minutes ago, AlfaRuma97 said:

@Midnitewolf

I've seen hp's like mine being upgraded with more poweful cpu's. But I suppose you can't upgrade to a intel core i series. Can I atleast upgrade to a more powerful pentium cpu instead? Like the pentium g4560?

True enough.  I guess it is all about perspective. With how cheap it is to buy/build a new system nowadays, it wouldn't be worth my while to spend $110 (Current Amazon new price for a Pentium g4560) for a 3 year old CPU.  I mean you can put together a budget AMD system for like $500 these days.  I guess that is what I meant when I said "a least not much worthwhile".   Still I tend to forget that a lot of people don't use their PC for anything really demanding and $110 is still cheaper than $500 if you don't need the performance that $500 would buy you.

Heck, it looks like you could theoretically put an i7 3770 in there if you really wanted to. The i5 should work without issue. How much ram do you have in it currently? Also, I hate how proprietary that PSU is. HP and Dell suck when it comes to that crap. 

@TravisTea

I currently have 8gb ram ddr3. I hate those psu 6 pin aswell. I think I'll end up upgrading my ram too, but not very soon probably

@Midnitewolf 

You could get some very nice parts from aliexpress for dirt cheap. You could probably build a very good gaming pc for under $350. Probably.

What's your budget for everything? I guess at the end of the day, should you put the money into this system or would it be better just upgrading to something new? People are selling Ryzen parts pretty cheap second hand. Does the case look like something you could reuse? I guess ultimately, what all are you doing with the system?

@TravisTea

Well for now my budget for everything is around $60. If it had a regular 20 or 24 pin power connector on the motherboard I would spend more because I could put a better psu and other stuff in. The pc case is quite small. It's called a "microtower" desktop but it's not that small. The biggest gpu you can fit with the current motherboard is probably a one with 2 fans. Once I decide to build a proper gaming pc I'll start to spend a lot more.  

2 minutes ago, AlfaRuma97 said:

@TravisTea

Well for now my budget for everything is around $60. If it had a regular 20 or 24 pin power connector on the motherboard I would spend more because I could put a better psu and other stuff in. The pc case is quite small. It's called a "microtower" desktop but it's not that small. The biggest gpu you can fit with the current motherboard is probably a one with 2 fans. Once I decide to build a proper gaming pc I'll start to spend a lot more.  

That's fair. Yeah if you can snag the cpu and gpu for that cost, I say go for it. If it fits your needs for now, that's what matters.

@TravisTea

The gpu will definitly work and if the cpu works it will be a great budget pc. As long as it runs all games I like at a minimum of 30fps. That's all I need. 

18 minutes ago, AlfaRuma97 said:

@TravisTea

The gpu will definitly work and if the cpu works it will be a great budget pc. As long as it runs all games I like at a minimum of 30fps. That's all I need. 

I say do it! I think you'll be in good shape. ?

3 hours ago, AlfaRuma97 said:

@Midnitewolf 

You could get some very nice parts from aliexpress for dirt cheap. You could probably build a very good gaming pc for under $350. Probably.

I don't know if I trust Aliexpress but yeah you can build a decent PC for peanuts though at the end of the day it is all relative.  I just spent $1400 to build a new PC at Christmas and have up to $1000 budgeted for one of the new next gen "Big NAVI" or "Amphere" GPUs that should be available in about 6 months (hopefully) so $400-$500 seems very cheap and easy on the pocketbook.  Still, if I think back to the 18-months I was unemployed when I found myself laid off from my bank job during the banking crisis and $400-$500 for anything except food and electricity was out of the question.  Sometime I forget that when I tell someone $400-$500 is cheap.