Can i connect direcly to switch with LAN Cable???

MGI
Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
7 minutes ago, MGI said:

pretty much empty ?

That is to be expected, the dialog just tells you that it is using auto-configuration not the current IP it received. Open the command line and enter "ipconfig", see what values you get there. Connect your AP again and have a look at its settings or status page. Take note of the IP, netmask, primary router/default gateway and DNS it receives. Compare that to your PC, it should get the same settings (with the possible exception being the IP, which should be in the same range).

It also possible the managed switch is blocking you due to some security settings.

~edit: What Windows version is that? On Windows 10 you can right click on network, then click on "Open Network & Internet settings", then click on "View your network properties", that should give you all the information you need.

So im a situation where im not getting full potential of the internet connection

YES, its not my connection, but its my school internet network connection. Anyway, my school has 2 ISP, 1st isp is 5**t and slow not just because it serve the whole school, but it also like.. idk im not yet learn networking that much. let just say the dns is so slow, it literally only want to connect to google server (youtube, google, etc)

BUT! the 2nd isp of my school called BIZNET, it used to be main ISP before my scholl move to ubiquity network that installing an acces point at every a class instead of 1 every 3 classes. This upgrade meant for facing transition from manual test to digital base test. This upgrade also include installing that 1st ISP that i talk about earlier. Now my whole school suffered for slow internet connection, but nobody cares... they all fine with that, but i dont!
So, BIZNET connection now separated from the Ubiquity network. witch mean, their user just few teachers that use old network. and that waste of money because they all combined maybe just consuming 2GB of data everyday.

So.... well, i got permission for using the old network. so what am i doing is not illegal ok.
there is 2 old system running on my school
WEST Corridor limited only for 2Mbps
EAST Corridor is UNLIMITED (the switch only 100Mbps, so idk if the internet is limited by the switch or that is expected subscribtion speed)

OK, so i connect my own tplink acces point (capable of 300Mbps)

NO SETTING, just SMART IP

and i connect my 1ST laptop to my AP, and im connected

speedtest show 96-ish Mbps (as expected due to limitation of the switch)

ok, so fine? i can free up some space in my pc to cloud?. or ready to download Microsoft Plane Simulator?

ahhhh.... the thing is, i cannot use my 1st laptop anymore, the prosesor is slow, battery drain quickly, heat output like hell, and its run on HDD, yep this is my experience
Im literally downloading faster than compiling the download file into i file (download via idm)

so im bringing the 2nd laptop, faster and run on SSD

but i got something strange. idk why the wifi adapter in this laptop only run at 72Mbps, witch in speedtest only 25-30Mbps :(

ok i found some settings to upgrade it to 150 Mbps, but it still capping at arround 40-50 Mbps

now even compiling file way way faster, the whole thing now just slower than my 1st laptop.

ok... so can i get rid of the acces point entirely from that network, and plug the LAN direcly to the switch?

yep, i do that, and i get 

"connected, no internet connection"

so, how can i connect to switch without acces point?

"Cable is way way better, than wifi right beside the receiver"

You probably have some old manual settings on your wired connection.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, ff0000 said:

Yes, you can.

how?

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You probably have some old manual settings on your wired connection.

umm.... what is that for? i mean, my AP just set to smartip and im gtg

sorry, never read the end of the post. check the settings on the switch. Which port are you plugging it into

if your laptop's ethernet card is set to use a manually set ip it won't try to get one from the network and won't be able to connect. Need to make sure it's set to auto/DHCP.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

if your laptop's ethernet card is set to use a manually set ip it won't try to get one from the network and won't be able to connect. Need to make sure it's set to auto/DHCP.

its on auto sir

9 minutes ago, ff0000 said:

sorry, never read the end of the post. check the settings on the switch. Which port are you plugging it into

i think witch port doesnt matter because its dumb switch

31 minutes ago, MGI said:

so, how can i connect to switch without acces point?

Not sure how old the equipment is. There are (or used to be) different RJ45 cables to connect PC to PC or a PC to a switch. Those are pretty much obsolete, because modern NICs will simply switch their PIN orientation as needed. Could be the issue here?

~edit: It's also possible the network simply doesn't have a DHCP server. In that case you'd have to manually set a valid IP, netmask, router and DNS on your computer.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Not sure how old the equipment is. There are (or used to be) different RJ45 cables to connect PC to PC or a PC to a switch. Those are pretty much obsolete, because modern NICs will simply switch their PIN orientation as needed. Could be the issue here?

it use same rj45 cable as the modern one (8 connection?) btw idk what NICs is, im sorry.
the switch is dumb switch, like cheap tplink switch with 5 port on it

EDIT: no, its not NCI xD thats too much for tiny test server in my school

Edited by MGI
edit

Just now, MGI said:

it use same rj45 cable as the modern one (8 connection?) btw idk what NICs is, im sorry.
the switch is dumb switch, like cheap tplink switch with 5 port on it

NIC = Network interface card, i.e. your network card ;)

I meant the age of the switch and network card. Modern cards and switches have a feature called "auto-sensing" which means they will work with both a straight-through and a crossover cable. The cables are the same in appearance, but their internal wiring is different. Like I said, this is pretty much obsolete knowledge these days, so depends on how old that stuff is.

When you connect your notebook to the switch, can you check network settings in Windows, maybe post a screenshot? You said it says "connected, no Internet", so it could be you get an IP but are simply missing something like a DNS server.

(maybe) the network route
*i dont have acces to server room

ISP > MODEM > ROUTER > Maybe manageable switch > Dumb switch > my AP (Auto) > Laptop (Internet)

here is what i want
ISP > MODEM > ROUTER > Maybe manageable switch > Dumb switch > Laptop (auto ipv4/ipv6, conected, no internet connection)

idk, it seems like the ap should be there and cannot removed from the network
*english is not my main 

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

NIC = Network interface card, i.e. your network card ;)

I meant the age of the switch and network card. Modern cards and switches have a feature called "auto-sensing" which means they will work with both a straight-through and a crossover cable. The cables are the same in appearance, but their internal wiring is different. Like I said, this is pretty much obsolete knowledge these days, so depends on how old that stuff is.

When you connect your notebook to the switch, can you check network settings in Windows, maybe post a screenshot? You said it says "connected, no Internet", so it could be you get an IP but are simply missing something like a DNS server.

pretty much empty :/ 

lt.png

7 minutes ago, MGI said:

pretty much empty ?

That is to be expected, the dialog just tells you that it is using auto-configuration not the current IP it received. Open the command line and enter "ipconfig", see what values you get there. Connect your AP again and have a look at its settings or status page. Take note of the IP, netmask, primary router/default gateway and DNS it receives. Compare that to your PC, it should get the same settings (with the possible exception being the IP, which should be in the same range).

It also possible the managed switch is blocking you due to some security settings.

~edit: What Windows version is that? On Windows 10 you can right click on network, then click on "Open Network & Internet settings", then click on "View your network properties", that should give you all the information you need.

7 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

GOD! why im not thingking of that, ok i will try that tomorrow. thx for give me that ideas! haha...