CPU issue

Hello

i have an laptop running an intel i5-5200u and lately ive been facing an strange problem, which im not sure wheter its an early sign of the cpu death or some other bs error... basically what happens is that out of nowhere the cpu clock gets stuck to some superlow freq such as 0.38, or 0.78 ghz and just wont move up from there, can happen during gaming, or just watching netflix, so id eliminate overheating issue, can go days without issues but then out of the blue cpu stuck again in low freq, after restart usually is okay again.

spec:

i5-5200u

nvidia 920m 2gb/ intel hd 5000? maybe? (yea its running dual gpu-s)

12 gb ram

248 gb ssd

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

Tune the power plan settings

• Max CPU state = 100
  • Min CPU state = 10
  • Mode = High performance

Is this on battery or wall power?

I had an issue basically like this when working on battery, the clock would go from 3Ghz to 0.8Ghz to 3Ghz.. etc. 

In the end I installed Intel XTU and just set some parameters so it could always maintain the higher clocks.

But be sure to set the Windows profiles to high power too.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, ff0000 said:

Tune the power plan settings

• Max CPU state = 100
  • Min CPU state = 10
  • Mode = High performance

In addition to this you can set the Min CPU state to 100 and the cpu frequency should operate at 100% 24/7. Also ensure you're running the latest Windows update.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

30 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

In addition to this you can set the Min CPU state to 100 and the cpu frequency should operate at 100% 24/7. Also ensure you're running the latest Windows update.

tried all of that what you said before and it is wall powered, i have an decent IT backgroung easy solutions what you just suggest aint gonna cut it im afraid :( but thanks for the input.

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

On 1/2/2020 at 10:28 AM, nextg3n said:

tried all of that what you said before and it is wall powered, i have an decent IT backgroung easy solutions what you just suggest aint gonna cut it im afraid :( but thanks for the input.

Unfortunately you're quite limited with a laptop as you cannot adjust voltages or frequencies in the bios. There are some software programs available that can help you adjust these such as "Torque", but I do not personally recommend these types of options. Have you installed HWmonitor? I know you don't believe it's a heat issue but maybe there's poorly applied thermal compound to the cpu. The system must be limiting the cpu frequency for some reason. A cpu just dying is extremely rare.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

With a laptop it's always the best way to just contact the manufacturer and ask them or send it in. Laptops are quite tricky sometimes 

To me youre problems sounds like either temperature or power related tbh. But I'm not too sure. 

It may be battery related. I have seen this on a thinkpad laptops where the battery was going bad. Replacing the battery solved the issue. It did not matter if AC power was connected 

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

Try running ThrottleStop.  It is the only free program available that will let you disable the BD PROCHOT function.  When a sensor goes bad, it can send throttling signals directly to your CPU.  Your CPU will think it is overheating.  Even when the CPU temperature is fine, it will start the thermal throttling process and it will be stuck at 400 MHz or 800 MHz depending on the CPU model.  Turning off these signals will allow your CPU to run at its normal speed.

Before making any changes, open up the Limit Reasons window.  It will show you if BD PROCHOT is the cause of throttling.

miCf7kN.png

Do a Google search for this topic.  This is a common problem on many different Intel laptops.

On 1/2/2020 at 7:28 AM, nextg3n said:

i have an decent IT background

If you had a decent background, you would already know about this problem!  ?

You can always learn something new.  You can also use ThrottleStop to under volt your CPU which will maximize its performance.