Games randomly crashing after new GPU

ImagiTrax

I recently upgraded to an RX 570 and a Ryzen 5 1400. The only other upgrade I made along with that was doubling my memory to 16GB DDR4. After I installed the latest AMD drivers (19.12.3), and tried out some games, my games would crash between 3 minutes- 1 hour in. I'm not sure if it's a faulty graphics card, driver issues, or if my system is being starved of power. I only have a 500W 80+ EVGA PSU. 

My specs are as of now are:

Ryzen 5 1400

Gigabyte B450M DS3H

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200mhz

XFX RX 570 4GB

EVGA 500W 80+ certified PSU

AMD GPU drives are shit but i pretty sure that your problem are PSU. There's a possibility that it's the RAM too, check it with MemTest86. Borrow some other (good) PSU to test it with your PC or test your GPU in other PC.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Are you monitoring temperatures/clocks?  Are the games crashing with an error or just straight to desktop? Have you tried reverting drivers to 19.12.2?  The 19.12.3 drivers you installed are "optional" (basically beta drivers) and might be more unstable.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

45 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

Are you monitoring temperatures/clocks?  Are the games crashing with an error or just straight to desktop? Have you tried reverting drivers to 19.12.2?  The 19.12.3 drivers you installed are "optional" (basically beta drivers) and might be more unstable.

Just downgraded to 19.12.2, same issue. I stress tested my PC with OCCT, and GPU goes up to 81°C at the most. Whenever it crashes, it crashes to desktop and Windows is still running normally, I can use chrome normally and do basic tasks. Restarting the game still yields a crash soon enough. 

1 hour ago, Polyvalent said:

Turns out, I didn't downgrade to 19.12.2, so I did that. After doing so, my games would lock up, but sound would still play normally. Pressing the windows key unlocks them for three seconds or so, then it locks back up again. I recorded an example of what's going on. How can I fix this?

I'd isolate the video card in a different system if possible to see if the problem persists on that machine.  Run a memtest for good measure but I don't think it's a RAM issue.  If you have an old GPU you can try using it just to see if a different card fixes it.

It seems like your drivers are crashing or there's just an issue with the card.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

1 hour ago, Polyvalent said:

I'd isolate the video card in a different system if possible to see if the problem persists on that machine.  Run a memtest for good measure but I don't think it's a RAM issue.  If you have an old GPU you can try using it just to see if a different card fixes it.

It seems like your drivers are crashing or there's just an issue with the card.

I can't isolate the card because I don't have another system. Could it possibly be an issue with overheating? I only have two fans (one in the front, one in the back), and they're decently low power. The front is only .25A, and the back is either equivalent of less. I fixed the problem with the screen freezing by disabling Radeon image sharpening, but I still have a problem with my games crashing. I think it's a heating issue mainly because games that don't require much processing power or with a capped framerate under how much it can put out (i.e. it would put out 100 fps, but it's capped at 60). Could this be an issue?

If you think it could be a heating issue try underclocking/undervolting a bit and see what happens.  Is the card factory overclocked? could just be a silicon lottery dud.  At higher clocks you need lower temps, generally speaking

On 1/1/2020 at 10:39 PM, Polyvalent said:

If you think it could be a heating issue try underclocking/undervolting a bit and see what happens.  Is the card factory overclocked? could just be a silicon lottery dud.  At higher clocks you need lower temps, generally speaking

Just an update, I tested the system with the case open and my games crashed even while being at much lower temperatures. I contacted AMD and they told me to use their cleanup utility. The card doesn't come overclocked out of the box, so I don't think voltage would be a problem. I stress tested the system before with OCCT and the wattage seemed plenty for my system. I've used DDU to fully clean out everything that may be interfering with the drivers, and to my surprise, it didn't work. My guess would be that it's a faulty card, XFX is a cheap brand after all. What would you recommend? Thanks.