how to limit PSU wattage?

OLU
Go to solution Solved by NotSoEpicMods,
46 minutes ago, OLU said:

i already found the problem, the case is too compact, node 202's psu is right beside the CPU cooler, and the CPU cooler is blowing heat right onto the PSU, and the PSU's fan seems too weak, there were only a tiny bit of air coming out of the PSU, since the case is not designed for a 8th gen i7, the case could not handle the heat from both CPU and PSU. I'm planmning to get an external case fan too cool that PSU down, but the USB Case fans are not cheap, so i'm asking about if there is a way to cool the PSU without changing hardware such as limiting the wattage, and changing bios, but i can't get the cpu wattage even lower,so this post is just asking is there any way to get the system even cooler without changing hardware. Because i said about the weak fan, can i manually control the fan since some time the PSu is just not working, and seems like i can't change the PSU fan in the bios

Double check in the bios you might be able to disable some cores on the cpu. Unfortunately that is the only way I see you being able to reduce running wattage without changing hardware. Maybe try running the PC with the PSU outside of the case and see if the problem continues. If it continues then there is something wrong with the PSU or something else is wrong with the system.

i recently built an ITX with very high specs, and it over heats, the computer shuts down while playing games at high graphics settings, i checked the cpu didn't overheat, definaly not the graphics card eith since i put 2 industrial level super noisy 3000RPM 120mm fan right on top of graphics card, so what's left is the PSU, i heard on the internet ppl's PSU overheats and cause the same problem, and i ran then pc without the case and touched ll the parts, and the one heat up the most is the PSU and CPU, aurend i know when cpu overheat it downclocks instead of shutting system down unless it's 100 Celcius, not it's for sure it's the PSU. I think the PSU wattage is too much for the system, so if i can, how do i limit the PSU wattage to prevent the overheat?

System:

Case: Fractal Design Node 202

CPU:i7 8086K@4.6ghz 1.2v

CPU Cooler: Custom build Cryorig C7 Graphene coating 125W TDP

GPU:Open air Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 with two fans

Motherboard:Aorus Z390 I PRO WIFI

Hard drive:2x intel optane memory 16gb + 2x1tb Seagate HDD

Case fan:2x 3000RPM 120mm 

PSU: EVGA 650 Supernova Gold SFX-L formfactor

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX DDR4 4000Mhz 8GBx2 @4266Mhz
  • GPU
    GIGABYTE GTX 1660 OC Dual Fan @1800Mhz + RTX 2080(solving thermal issue)
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
    10TB Seagate External+4TB Seagate Barracuda+2TB SAMSUNG QVO SSD+256GB Intel 760P+16GB Intel Optane
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cryorig C7 custom Full Copper Graphene Coating + 2x3000RPM 120mm + 2x1500RPM 120mm

You can't. The PSU will also only use as much wattage as is needed, so you would actually have to limit how much the GPU and CPU use to limit PSU usage.

Plus, have you ruled out the other components such as motherboard VRM too?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

You can't really have "too much" wattage the parts will only use as much power as they need. Actually you usually want some good headroom on the psu wattage so that it's sitting in the most efficient part of it's efficiency curve under load. 650w is a little lower than I would be comfortable with but it should be fine for those parts. I would look somewhere else maybe overall case air flow could be improved or something to help.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

11 minutes ago, minibois said:

You can't. The PSU will also only use as much wattage as is needed, so you would actually have to limit how much the GPU and CPU use to limit PSU usage.

Plus, have you ruled out the other components such as motherboard VRM too?

donno The VRM of z390 ITX, the system wont boot if cpu wattage is under 1.15v, RAM prob use alot of power since it's 16GB @4000mhz

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
    10TB Seagate External+4TB Seagate Barracuda+2TB SAMSUNG QVO SSD+256GB Intel 760P+16GB Intel Optane
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cryorig C7 custom Full Copper Graphene Coating + 2x3000RPM 120mm + 2x1500RPM 120mm

3 hours ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

You can't really have "too much" wattage the parts will only use as much power as they need. Actually you usually want some good headroom on the psu wattage so that it's sitting in the most efficient part of it's efficiency curve under load. 650w is a little lower than I would be comfortable with but it should be fine for those parts. I would look somewhere else maybe overall case air flow could be improved or something to help.

can i get the PSU temperature  lower, i already got the cpu voltage as low as possible, and i dont know how to downclock a gpu

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

There's not really a way to get the temperature lower. Just make sure the PSU it getting plenty of fresh air and that its fan is spinning. If it has that and you're still experiencing problems you either have a faulty PSU or have a problem somewhere else.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

Cosmos Sv2:

• Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

5 hours ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

There's not really a way to get the temperature lower. Just make sure the PSU it getting plenty of fresh air and that its fan is spinning. If it has that and you're still experiencing problems you either have a faulty PSU or have a problem somewhere else.

i already found the problem, the case is too compact, node 202's psu is right beside the CPU cooler, and the CPU cooler is blowing heat right onto the PSU, and the PSU's fan seems too weak, there were only a tiny bit of air coming out of the PSU, since the case is not designed for a 8th gen i7, the case could not handle the heat from both CPU and PSU. I'm planmning to get an external case fan too cool that PSU down, but the USB Case fans are not cheap, so i'm asking about if there is a way to cool the PSU without changing hardware such as limiting the wattage, and changing bios, but i can't get the cpu wattage even lower,so this post is just asking is there any way to get the system even cooler without changing hardware. Because i said about the weak fan, can i manually control the fan since some time the PSu is just not working, and seems like i can't change the PSU fan in the bios

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling

46 minutes ago, OLU said:

Double check in the bios you might be able to disable some cores on the cpu. Unfortunately that is the only way I see you being able to reduce running wattage without changing hardware. Maybe try running the PC with the PSU outside of the case and see if the problem continues. If it continues then there is something wrong with the PSU or something else is wrong with the system.

Cosmos Sv2:

Old School AMD:

1 minute ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

thx so much for answering those questions for mw, have a good day!

• CPU
    i7 8086K @5.3Ghz
  • Motherboard
    AORUS Z390I PRO WIFI
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650GM
  • Display(s)
    AOC C24G1 144hz
  • Cooling