Question regarding cpu temps and ram

I am having a weird overheating problem that I just don't understand. I have a 6800k with a corsair H100i v2 on it and 16GB of ram.

My idle temps have been around 50C for a long time so i decided to see what was going on. I ran a stress test and my CPU was hitting 100C very fast about 4min into the test. I took most of my PC apart and reassembled and the temps were good 38C idle and lox 70s stressed. I then tried doing a small overclock and any adjustment made my temps go right back to what they were easily hitting high 90s. Even resetting everything back to default didn't change anything.

Now I have found out that moving my ram in the board fixes this. I overclock temps are crazy high then I shutdown move both my sticks to new positions and the temps get better. The sticks are good at least with a memtest ran on them no errors and the slots seem fine as it doesn't matter which of the 2 sets of slots I use as long as I move them after the overclock everything seems good.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this it makes no sense to me and can't find anything that mentions anything like this the memory is running at 3000Mhz regardless of which slots are used.

sounds like the ram affecting the small amount of airflow over the vrm

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

I agree with @Jumballi make sure you have some good airflow over those VRMs. Also keep an eye on your voltage when stress testing an overclock. You can accidentally get a high core voltage even though it's a small overclock.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

3 minutes ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

I agree with @Jumballi make sure you have some good airflow over those VRMs. Also keep an eye on your voltage when stress testing an overclock. You can accidentally get a high core voltage even though it's a small overclock.

I cannot agree more, when I used the auto oc utility, it decided my cpu needed 1.48V for a 4.28 oc.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

8 minutes ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

I'm talking just raising the multiplier overclocking to 3.8, but the thing is the overclock seems fine because without changing anything about the overclock just switching which slots my ram is in fixes it every time. I'm pretty sure my airflow is fine maybe to much intake. I have my radiator in the front as an intake and 2 fans as an intake on the top right above my ram and one exhaust. Once I move my ram temps are great doesn't matter where I have the sticks. Just if I go into bios and change anything about the CPU the moment I save and reboot into the bios i am back at 50C in the bios.I have to move the sticks again to lower the temps. It doesn't matter where the ram is just that I move it after changing anything.

What are your cpu core voltages before and after moving the ram? If you just raise the multiplier and don't adjust voltages who knows what the auto voltage settings are doing. As for moving the ram idk if that would change any of the settings to lower the temps. I know some mobo bios will think of ram channel change as a change in hardware and reset the bios settings.

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100