Halp! NOOB HERE!

GreenCactus

So im looking for a server to make my nas on! I think maybe r720 or r720xd . . Also which os should I be running? And could you attach a link to a server as I probably would look at a scam :P Thanks!

Do you plan for this to do anything more than hold your data on the network? Do you need Virtual Machines? Do you want to host servers? Etc.

If you're on a budget or if this is for home use any desktop computer can be a NAS. You don't necessarily have to go out a buy a full-on proper server. Honestly if you want proper server gear look into buying a used bare-bones supermicro server off eBay for $100~200. It'd save you a lot and give you better expandability.

If you just want a file server and to access your files remotely. Maybe run a PLEX server or other small things I'd use FreeNAS. If you want to play with virtualization at all I'd use PROXMOX instead. It supports the same File System as FreeNAS but comes with a much better hypervisor.

I want to run some virtual machines, maybe for minecraft server, and maybe for video rendering . .

11 hours ago, NoMansLand said:

If you want to run V/Ms you can use unRaid.

Or not shell out the cash for proprietary software and a hard coded drive limit and get something free :P

Proxmox is great for both storage and VMs and has a completely free version available.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro