Windows 10 Audio Stutter Troubleshooting

ShearMe

Discovered this handy tool today for troubleshooting audio stutters. Measures kernel timer latencies which can point you towards the .exe or driver causing an issue.

Program info and the Windows Audio issue: 

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Program download: 

https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe

Spoiler

2019-12-27 23_15_43-LatencyMon.jpg

You may find ndis.sys to have a high latency. This is your network driver, and may be due to your WLAN card. Try switching to ethernet to see if that is indeed the culprit.

POTENTIAL FIXES:

• 1 month later...

hello guys. i need your help, for long time i have this issue, when i wake PC from sleep my sound starts crackling and popping. If i do fresh start its ok or restart pc everything is fine. I download this latency mon and it sayis the same. If i start it with fresh pc it says alli s fine. But when i wake up PC it says something is wrong. And i really dont know what i should do to find the problem. my PC isn't overclock all stock no MCE. my audio driver is realtek 6.0.8895.1 i tried reinstal audio driver older versions and still same problem

1 hour ago, KotOr said:

hello guys. i need your help, for long time i have this issue, when i wake PC from sleep my sound starts crackling and popping. If i do fresh start its ok or restart pc everything is fine. I download this latency mon and it sayis the same. If i start it with fresh pc it says alli s fine. But when i wake up PC it says something is wrong. And i really dont know what i should do to find the problem. my PC isn't overclock all stock no MCE. my audio driver is realtek 6.0.8895.1 i tried reinstal audio driver older versions and still same problem

Did this begin to happen after an update?

Check for updates: Windows, Sound Adapter, Network Card, BIOS from your manufacturer, etc.

i have this problem for long time now. i have Asus Maximus Xi apex and on ROG forum lots of people complain about similar thing but looks like no one knows what the problem is. My drivers,bios,windows is up to date. iam using drivers from driver-station website. i have similar problem on my older z170 and z270 (all ASUS btw) boards. but with my Z390 i know that its only when i wake PC from sleep. and with this Latencymon i don't know what i should be looking for

Just now, KotOr said:

i have this problem for long time now. i have Asus Maximus Xi apex and on ROG forum lots of people complain about similar thing but looks like no one knows what the problem is. My drivers,bios,windows is up to date. iam using drivers from driver-station website. i have similar problem on my older z170 and z270 (all ASUS btw) boards. but with my Z390 i know that its only when i wake PC from sleep. and with this Latencymon i don't know what i should be looking for

Sometimes LatencyMon can point to a particular process/driver causing problems. Can you provide screenshots of the "Processes" and "Drivers" tab?

17 minutes ago, KotOr said:

So pic after wake up

Double check drivers for your ACPI system.

Device Manager > System Devices > *manufacturer* ACPI-Compliant System

1646282746_2020-02-1613_20_30-Window.jpg.d9f0c7fe026d0f16049aa183a35f36d6.jpg

241782114_2020-02-1613_22_11-Window.jpg.bf8e9441151cb29620de678e11be529d.jpg

752184396_2020-02-1613_22_27-Window.jpg.d04fae1de85c37ac0b0aa9d4049a06c2.jpg

5 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

Double check drivers for your ACPI system.

Device Manager > System Devices > *manufacturer* ACPI-Compliant System

thank you i will try and so after little googling i found that acpi.sys could be lots of thing and on reddit someone mentioned to shutdown hwinfo. i did it and now latency mon show that everything is alright. i am 100% sure that i tried it before. after wake up i shut down all programs and try to restart them. and it didnt help but now for some reason it looks like it help not 100% but is definitelly better. i try play some movie and we will see

Just now, KotOr said:

so after little googling i found that acpi.sys could be lots of thing and on reddit someone mentioned to shutdown hwinfo. i did it and now latency mon show that everything is alright. i am 100% sure that i tried it before. after wake up i shut down all programs and try to restart them. and it didnt help but now for some reason it looks like it help not 100% but is definitelly better. i try play some movie and we will see

I'm doing more digging as well.... Could also try disabling ACPI in BIOS if there is a setting for it, or similar power saving settings.

38 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

I'm doing more digging as well.... Could also try disabling ACPI in BIOS if there is a setting for it, or similar power saving settings.

ok so after few minutes audio problem is back (hw info is off) so it must be something else. All ACPI looks up-to date. maybe it's just windows problem, i heard after some update in past people have problems with audio. so maybe windows doing something weird after wake up, or audio driver having bad initialization after wake up.

ED/ now latencymon show everything is fine but sound isnt fine... damn

ED2/ now looks like dxgkrnl.sys and ntoskrnl.exe causing latency (hwinfo is still off) but now sound is normal, 5min problem back to normal. looks like now its random. before (hwinfo was still ON after wake up) it was constant

16 minutes ago, KotOr said:

ok so after few minutes audio problem is back (hw info is off) so it must be something else. All ACPI looks up-to date. maybe it's just windows problem, i heard after some update in past people have problems with audio. so maybe windows doing something weird after wake up, or audio driver having bad initialization after wake up.

If all else fails... do a fresh windows install. Windows updates sometimes don't apply correctly on top of previous versions

13 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

If all else fails... do a fresh windows install. Windows updates sometimes don't apply correctly on top of previous versions

I don't think reinstall helps, maybe i should try. But now my OS is 2 months old, and i think i have this problem from 1809 version. i think i will wait for BIG april update to reinstall. Tomorrow i will send my monitor to RMA so who knows how long will my PC be off. but thank you for help. i will post fi find something new