HELP! I just upgraded my pc and it's not booting, it says that it can find the HDD (and yes I use a HDD as my boot device)

so the day after christmas i decided that this was the day i upgraded my computer, it would be easy i thought, it would be fun i thought. NOPE. i was doing fine with installing everything, well i was installing a cpu and gpu, (ryzen 5 3600x and 2070 super) and my HDD had to S**t it self in the proses. when i turned it on i was so happy, the RGB was glowing, the fans was spinning, and the display was working but what it displayed was going to give me a 7 hour headache, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".  i tried CMOS, i tried installing windows again, i have even checked the sata cable and port and it seems ok. i don't care about the data on it if it gets wiped i just want to get on windows again and start over if that is what it takes to get it working again. if anyone has any thing to say please feel free. ( i live in the uk btw and it's a gigabyte motherboard) tomorrow i will be puting the old cpu and gpu in the pc again and trying to get on that HDD and hope i don't need to buy a new one.

5 minutes ago, the british potato said:

so the day after christmas i decided that this was the day i upgraded my computer, it would be easy i thought, it would be fun i thought. NOPE. i was doing fine with installing everything, well i was installing a cpu and gpu, (ryzen 5 3600x and 2070 super) and my HDD had to S**t it self in the proses. when i turned it on i was so happy, the RGB was glowing, the fans was spinning, and the display was working but what it displayed was going to give me a 7 hour headache, "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".  i tried CMOS, i tried installing windows again, i have even checked the sata cable and port and it seems ok. i don't care about the data on it if it gets wiped i just want to get on windows again and start over if that is what it takes to get it working again. if anyone has any thing to say please feel free. ( i live in the uk btw and it's a gigabyte motherboard) tomorrow i will be puting the old cpu and gpu in the pc again and trying to get on that HDD and hope i don't need to buy a new one.

Were you able to reformat with windows? If so, I don't understand why it wouldn't be able to boot...

Also, no need to totally disassemble and reassembly the old parts. You can just your new mother board box for your old mobo, just need to take your PSU out of your case to power it.

But before you get there, I would try and figure out why it won't boot... If you are able to install windows, the hdd works. But, you can't really install windows if it can't boot, because to finish install, it has to actually boot into windows. Thus, the install must have failed, correct?

What point did it fail at, and what exactly is happening?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Is the HDD detected in bios? If it is and it's just not booting into it, check your bios boot settings on the motherboard and disable secure boot, fast startup and try CSM on both Other OS if you run Legacy or Windows UEFI if you have UEFI with Windows 10. If it's detected and you're just having boot issues like improper boot device and changing those bios options doesn't fix it then your best bet is to do a completely fresh install Windows 10 using a UEFI installer like a USB created using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. It's always best when replacing parts such as the CPU, or motherboard, or any major component to do a fresh install. Please also make sure you have the most recent bios update installed on the board. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Were you able to reformat with windows? If so, I don't understand why it wouldn't be able to boot...

Also, no need to totally disassemble and reassembly the old parts. You can just your new mother board box for your old mobo, just need to take your PSU out of your case to power it.

But before you get there, I would try and figure out why it won't boot... If you are able to install windows, the hdd works. But, you can't really install windows if it can't boot, because to finish install, it has to actually boot into windows. Thus, the install must have failed, correct?

What point did it fail at, and what exactly is happening?

The hard drive I've already had stuff on it including windows but it wasn't being detected in the bios so I try to download Windows on it again possibly or to see if it would recognise there is a hard drive but it couldn't

I'm only taking out the CPU and GPU and putting in the old CPU and GPU to see if the hard drive would recognise those two and work again possibly if not then back to the drawing board

The installation of Windows did not work because it couldn't recognise/detect the hard drive

I have no idea how it's stopped working or why all I know is I put in a new CPU and GPU and it stopped working

do you think it is possible if I can buy a new hard drive and just put it in the machine and install windows and start over again because there wasn't important and personal stuff it was normally games on the Steam and little bits I don't care about and I'm pretty sure the games on steam or whatever will be saved because I purchased them on my account so I will only have to login again and re-download them

Sometimes with my Mobo, a GIGABYTE Z270 ULTRA GAMING, whenever I disconnect or move SATA cables, which perhaps you had to do, I have to reset my boot priorities in the BIOS. Make sure the HDD you have windows on is Boot Priority #1 and I wouldn't even recommend having other drives as #2, 3, etc set as backups if they don't have Windows on them. 

i7-12700K Cooled by Corsair H150i Elite Capellix | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | AORUS Z690 Elite DDR4 | 32GB (8GB x 4, 3200MHz) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM850 PSU | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Boot Drive

Yes,  you could buy a new drive, but if this one isn't working, that likely won't solve your issue. This sounds like some sort of BIOS issue.

As @Tacos4all said, does the BIOS see the drive? If you are using the same motherboard, there is no reason for this to have happened, and is somewhat unlikely the HDD just decided to die as you swap CPU and GPU. 

But, if you do go the route of needing a new drive, I wouldn't get a harddrive, definitely get an SSD. But I would try and figure out this issue before you spend any money on anything, it likely isn't a bad drive.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air