Create a monthly quota for network usage in PFSenese

Shammikit

Hello and Merry Christmas. I want to setup a solution using PFSense for splitting my internet quota between me and my dad. We got a 90gb connection and I want to split this among 4 devices (My phone, my laptop. dads phone, dads laptop). Thats about 22.5gb for each device per month and when a device had used up all the data assigned to it I want to stop it from being able to get online. I want this restriction to be applied during peak hours only (8AM till Midnight). For offpeak hours I would like to allow the devices to use only 10gb of data and when a devices uses that up, I want it to stop getting online. I have already setup PFsense and got it running, would like to know what options I can try to achieve what I need. I have already done a bit of research and so far all I have seen is people recommending to setup a Captive portal. I did see it having an option to set a data limit, but i think that applies to the entire interface selected and not per device like the way I want and I did not see any way of specifying times as I wanted. Looking forward to hear ur suggestions. Thanks.

Quality of Service or QoS but I'm not sure if it supports exactly what you want.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I don't think you can do that in pfSense. 

It does have a bandwidth shaper, so you could set static IP's and then limit the devices in speed. If you limit it to say 2Mbit then it will force streaming services like Netflix, YouTube, etc...to drop in quality which will save you bandwidth. pfSense also has a Squid package, so you could setup caching which should help with the bandwidth usage as well. 

Capitve Portal is generally a good way to limit usage by user. 

But with only 2 of you using it, it seems like more of a behavioral change you need more than setting up hard limits. Goodluck with the setup you're after

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

12 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Quality of Service or QoS but I'm not sure if it supports exactly what you want.

QoS in PFsense is Traffic shaper right? If so in traffic shaper I did not see any option to setup a data limit. There were options to set bandwidth which I believe is the network speeds, that is not my requirement.  

4 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

QoS in PFsense is Traffic shaper right? If so in traffic shaper I did not see any option to setup a data limit. There were options to set bandwidth which I believe is the network speeds, that is not my requirement.  

Windows 10 has exactly what you need built right into it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-monitor-and-control-data-usage-windows-10-april-2018-update

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Windows 10 has exactly what you need built right into it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-monitor-and-control-data-usage-windows-10-april-2018-update

would like to set it up at a router level for some centralized control and would like to make it a learning experience. Plus I want to have these controls for mobile device too. 

1 hour ago, Shammikit said:

would like to set it up at a router level for some centralized control and would like to make it a learning experience. Plus I want to have these controls for mobile device too. 

I'd guess the only way you'd ever get anything like this built into a router would be if you bought enterprise level equipment which would be insanely expensive. The kind of gear they would use in a retail setting designed for hundreds of simultaneous users.