looking for advice first time pc buyer

Jdenny86

I am trying to move from console gaming to pc and I am in need of some guidance from people that know what things are. I know very little about pcs and have been trying to learn but feel overwhelmed. I have for sure made the call than I am not ready to try to build my own pc yet as I still have very much to learn before I take that on. I know there are a lot of different points of view but I ask that you not try to get me on yours but to tell me if what I have planed is a bad idea or if there are some things you would change. I plan on running 3 32inch MSI monitors (optix MAG321CQR) and will mostly use this to game and stream youtube/netflix. this is what I have come down to:

Origin Genesis

Intel Core i9 9900ks

MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC

32GB Corsair vengence 3200MHz

360 sealed liquid cooler

Nvidia 8GB Geforce RTX 2080 Super

1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2

1TB Samsung 860 QVO series

Corsair 850x RMX series Plus Gold PSU

Thanks for your input 

Looks like a good build. Samsung drives are overpriced, but other than that it looks good. I wouldn't go for 3 monitors that are the same. I'd have 1 main 1440p 144hz to game on and the others maybe 1080p 60hz or 4k 60hz, depending on their use.

If I might make a suggestion, you could replace the 9900k with a Ryzen 3700x and spend the extra $150 -$200 on a 2080Ti

dobert, it was my understanding that the amd route was more for a workstation and intel was more for gaming. with this being primarily a gaming pc can you help me understand why I would go with the ryzen over the i9

2 minutes ago, Jdenny86 said:

dobert, it was my understanding that the amd route was more for a workstation and intel was more for gaming. with this being primarily a gaming pc can you help me understand why I would go with the ryzen over the i9

AMD's first and second gen was not that good at gaming (in comparison with intel), But now AMD's Zen 2 (3rd gen Ryzen) are very capable in gaming, trading blows with intel.
Intel is still better (marginally), but I think 2-10 fps isn't really worth it unless you plan on using a 240hz monitor.
If you're playing at 1440p or 4k, intel will be the same fast.

AMD for productivity yeah sure, for gaming the difference is negligible. The extra money isn't worth it in most cases due to the small difference.

I could do the ryzen 9 3900x but I don't think the wallet will let me get to the 2080 ti. So would it still be better to go with the Ryzen 9 3900x with the 2080 super?

thank you all for your help defiantly feel behind the ball with this stuff.

It's a shame that you don't want to build it yourself, you'd save yourself some money and it can even be quite fun. Though I don't blame you, it's quite nerve racking build a computer for the first time when its so expensive.

As boggy77 said, 3 monitors that are the same might not be the best idea. If your planning on gaming on all three at the same time then having them be the same will probably be beneficial, but if you want different things on different screens, having different monitors would likely be better. Some games might not support or might not be very good on three monitors, so you should check if the games you want to play will benefit from three monitors if that's what you plan to do.

For the CPU the 9900ks is certainly the fastest, which is what you generally want for gaming, but pretty much all processors are great when you get to that price point. The AMD option at the same general price point is the 3900x, which has more cores and threads, though it isn't quite as fast. The extra cores and threads, especially when you have this many, only really benefit certain use cases, which from what you've said, you don't have. However the 3900x also allows for PCIE 4.0 (the 9900k only allows for PCIE 3.0) which, while pretty new and so not a massive benefit right now, is great for future proofing. The difference between FPS of the 9900k and the 3900x, which will both be getting a very large number of frames anyway, will barely be noticable, if at all. So personally i'd recommend the 3900x over the 9900k. Though even then, these the currently the best of the best, and more than most really need. I'd consider the 3700x or maybe 3800x the best processor to get if your considering a large budget, and only going to the level of the 9900k or 3900x if money is no object. In terms of future proofing, the better you get now, the longer it will last.

I don't really think I know enough about different motherboards to recommend to specifically recommend any, and depending on if you stay with Intel for the cpu or decide to go with AMD, your choices will be different anyway. I would say that since your planning to spend so much on the build anyway, you want a high quality motherboard, so I'd say at least £150-£170 or even more (or the equivalent in your local currency), and to make sure to get a motherboard with PCIE 4.0 if you choose an AMD CPU.

Your choice of RAM looks fine either way, but again with what seems to be such a large budget if you go AMD their CPU's like faster RAM so maybe go for 3600Mhz if you go AMD. In terms of size 16GB would probably be enough, but 32GB is certainly better, though there's no need to go further than that.

I am a fan of liquid cooling so I approve of choosing a liquid cooler, 240mm or 280mm should probably be enough, but with such high end parts 360mm is definitely a better choice. If you want a recommendation, id say any from a very recognisable brand should be fine, but personally I just really like the looks of the NZXT Kraken liquid coolers. And of course the different colours and RGB lights that come on different coolers could also influence your decision.

The choice of graphics card is absolutely fine. The 2080 super is the best you can get without having to add another £200ish to jump to the 2080 ti. I saw you mentioned not being able to afford a 2080 ti, so if moneys an issue the 2080 or 2070 super will be cheaper than the super, and not too much worse. Though from the parts you originally listed it seems you want the very best you can afford, and that certainly is the 2080 super. You should also look for any deals of games with whatever graphics card you end up choosing, as ive seems some around and they add some value if your likely to play those games.

The samsung QVO ssd is an older model, though it's still great and will be cheaper because its older. I recently bought one myself for the PC im building, and depending on where you buy it you should be able to get a free ubisoft game, which adds some value. The 970 evo plus is certainly a good sdd, but newer samsung ssds tend to be more expensive than their competitors, so you might be able to find something comparable for cheaper. If you end up going for an AMD cpu, you could take advantage of that and get a PCIE 4.0 SSD, I believe there's a corsair PCIE 4.0 SSD for about the same price as the 970 evo plus. Ignoring the brand and amount etc, having both a sata and m.2 nvme ssd is a good decision. The M.2 NVME SSD is great for booting from and storing your most used games to get the fastest speeds you can, and having a cheaper, slightly slower SSD for other things is good too. It might be worth also getting a hard drive to store unimportant things on, you could get a large amount of extra storage for a good price. And with how big modern games are getting you might end up needing it.

Good choice of power supply as well. I use that power supply myself, the modularity makes it easy to use (not so important since your not building it yourself), and makes cable management and therefore aesthetics better too. You'll need a large power supply to power such high end parts but that should do so just fine, though check using pc part picker or something similar just to be sure. The 80+ gold rating is always good for efficiency and therefore thermals (and therefore sound for the psu fan). That PSU also has zero rpm mode, meaning it won't even spin the fan until it gets to a certain temperature, which is good if the fans sound will annoy you.

After having gone back to check if I missed anything in your post I noticed your looking to getting it built by origin, meaning you'll be limited to the parts they offer. I don't think anything i've mentioned will be unavailable there, though they might not offer RAM faster than 3200Mhz. So I thought I should just add that 3200Mhz is still great, they'll only be marginal difference from 3600Mhz. Everything else as far as I know should still apply, though you should definitely look around at other websites, both for custom building and different prebuilds, because when you use companies such as origin your paying for both the parts, the warranty and the building of the machine itself, so you might find other sites offering the same for cheaper. 

And i'm in the UK so for me it's now the 25th. Merry Christmas!