High Temps even with Dark Rock 4? (3700x)

FoxOfWar
Go to solution Solved by FoxOfWar,

Little update, I fastend the screws of the cooler and now it dosen't even hit 50 °C after 16 minutes of Aida64 Stresstests!

Hello everyone,

after finally getting my 3700x + x570-e gaming combo and installing them (which took 2 hours)

I noticed that the thermal performance of the Dark Rock 4 isn't quite on the level I expected.

under extended load it gets up to 75 °C at stock and 80°C at 3.8 Ghz! the CPU only has a 65 watt TDP so I think it should perform better.

is this just the cooler being weird or did I install it wrong?

(Additional info: I used the included thermal paste, I think I mounted it correctly, this is my first time installing a 'big' CPU cooler (not the box one))

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (Stock)                              RAM: 16 GB Samsung ram

GPU: 2080 Super                                                SSD: 256GB Samsung 980 Evo

What are the ambient temperatures like? Your load temps will differ based on that.

The max temp for that CPU is 95 degrees C by the way, so the temps are still within reason.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 hours ago, minibois said:

What are the ambient temperatures like? Your load temps will differ based on that.

The max temp for that CPU is 95 degrees C by the way, so the temps are still within reason.

Not too sure but the ambient should be between 21 and 25 °C

GPU: 2080 Super                                                SSD: 256GB Samsung 980 Evo

1 minute ago, Yuno said:

Not too sure but the ambient should be between 21 and 25 °C

Oh, I should also ask what program you are using? From what I have heard, some programs may sometimes report the wrong temps.

What does Ryzen Master show for temperatures?

P.S. seeing the issue you're having in your other thread, a Windows reinstall might help with that. (of course backing up your files beforehand).

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Oh, I should also ask what program you are using? From what I have heard, some programs may sometimes report the wrong temps.

What does Ryzen Master show for temperatures?

P.S. seeing the issue you're having in your other thread, a Windows reinstall might help with that. (of course backing up your files beforehand).

Oof really? I hate reinstalling windows since It takes forever to reinstall programs.

I'm using HWinfo64 to measure temps btw.

Weird, I've got the same setup with the dark rock pro 4 and with a single center fan I can max out 4.3GHz all core at about 75C

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 hours ago, Lurick said:

Weird, I've got the same setup with the dark rock pro 4 and with a single center fan I can max out 4.3GHz all core at about 75C

it may be a bad mount now that I've come to think about it

1 minute ago, Yuno said:

Yah, it's a bit of a pain to install. Make sure the screws are fully tightened as well. When you go to apply a bit of pressure to turn the screws shouldn't really budge and you'll know it's on good.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Yuno said:

Oof really? I hate reinstalling windows since It takes forever to reinstall programs.

Yea it sucks but it's kind of best practice while upgrading.. Although this might work too:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/task-manager-not-showing-right-amount-of-cores.2666193/

1 minute ago, Yuno said:

The Dark Rock cooler unfortunately are not known to be easy to install :(

Be sure to use about a pea sized bit of thermal paste (or the line technique) and try - when mounting - to tighten the screws in an equal pattern (cross pattern if it uses four sides). That way the paste will spread evenly.

Yea it sucks but it's kind of best practice while upgrading.. Although this might work too:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/task-manager-not-showing-right-amount-of-cores.2666193/

The Dark Rock cooler unfortunately are not known to be easy to install :(

Be sure to use about a pea sized bit of thermal paste (or the line technique) and try - when mounting - to tighten the screws in an equal pattern (cross pattern if it uses four sides). That way the paste will spread evenly.

That Fix worked! it now shows 8 cores 16 threads ?

and for the mount, yes it was very hard to install (lol) and I'll try to remount it tomorrow.

Just now, Yuno said:

That Fix worked! it now shows 8 cores 16 threads ?

and for the mount, yes it was very hard to install (lol) and I'll try to remount it tomorrow.

How is the airflow in the rest of your case, by the way? That could very well influence the CPU temps too.

It's really hard to find a baseline good temperature for a CPU+cooler combo, so can't really comment on 80 degrees C being fine.. 

P.S. I posted the Tom's Hardware forum post on your other thread, so people know the right solution in the future.

How is the airflow in the rest of your case, by the way? That could very well influence the CPU temps too.

It's really hard to find a baseline good temperature for a CPU+cooler combo, so can't really comment on 80 degrees C being fine.. 

P.S. I posted the Tom's Hardware forum post on your other thread, so people know the right solution in the future.

The Airflow should be good since I have the side panel removed but who knows, I'll just try to remount it tomorrow (its midnight here)

Little update, I fastend the screws of the cooler and now it dosen't even hit 50 °C after 16 minutes of Aida64 Stresstests!