Help me choose an IPS 1440p monitor game+art/photo

evakaname

Hi! Ive been struggling with this for a while now, read rating lists, reviews etc, and the more i learn the more confused i get about which monitor to pick.

I only know that i need a GOOD IPS panel and the sweet spot is 1440p 27 inch (or more?), not curved, since I want to use it for gaming and digital painting + photo editing. I know  i know, i wish for too much versatility. But...

I cant buy right now 2 monitors, one for each purpose, especially since  if i buy i want top tier, so im trying to compromise with the use until my new job next year, which will need ads and such. So I decided to go first for a good gaming monitor that can give me the best possible color experience/picture too for my art for now. Already doing commissions, color proofing is a nightmare on my TN paneled Asus VG278HR (which lost its appeal as nvidia shut down stereoscopic 3D AND my new gpu has no DVI to run it at 144Hz anymore). But im still unsure about things like do i actually need HDR and so on. So many specs to compare, so little experience...

Can you recommend me some tip-top picture, good gaming monitors? Ive considered ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q  but im not sure its the best choice for that picture quality, uniformity, backlight etc. But what do i know.

I also have a soft spot for G-sync and goodies but i would compromise there for picking truest picture. So, best gaming monitor with highest quality picture on the market would be sweet lol. Well, within sanity range for the price but im willing to cough up quite a sum to use it for years to come still serving well for games. (by then i imagine id get a professional one too just for picture work).  

Btw im rockin an RTX 2080 and a Skylake 6700.

8 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

How big is you budget? @evakaname

around 1200 USD or 1000 EUR but if u know some real sweet thing above that im listening.
Edit: though above that seems crazy.

i forgot: NO CURVED please. i Need to see my straight lines straight.

i forgot: NO CURVED please. i Need to see my straight lines straight.

3 minutes ago, evakaname said:

around 1200 USD or 1000 EUR but if u know some real sweet thing above that im listening.

Well, I'm not the one to recommend a monitor at that high end, just asked as the question gives a reference point to those who might know better ...

But yeah, for photo/video editing curved is not acceptable.

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, evakaname said:

Lets say a round 1000 USD for a relative limit then.

If you have a budget of $1000, and if you're doing creative work, might I suggest a 4k or 5k monitor?
Or are you looking for something that can output 144 frames per second?

1 minute ago, DobertRownySr said:

If you have a budget of $1000, and if you're doing creative work, might I suggest a 4k or 5k monitor?
Or are you looking for something that can output 144 frames per second?

I considered that, but even the top tier GPUS like mine cant run the latest games full graphics in 4k that well. And games only ever get bigger. So no, i think its still better to go 1440p still. I imagine it would do for my photo needs for now.... Read and watched too many 4K issues around for gaming and comparing them to 1440p. Frames arent much of an issue to me though, but i want at least a consistent 60, and full graphics, which would be a struggle for a 4K especially with new games.

1 hour ago, evakaname said:

I considered that, but even the top tier GPUS like mine cant run the latest games full graphics in 4k that well. And games only ever get bigger. So no, i think its still better to go 1440p still. I imagine it would do for my photo needs for now.... Read and watched too many 4K issues around for gaming and comparing them to 1440p. Frames arent much of an issue to me though, but i want at least a consistent 60, and full graphics, which would be a struggle for a 4K especially with new games.

You can always gun your games in 1920x1080p or 2560x1440p on a 4k monitor.

31 minutes ago, DobertRownySr said:

I see you are not very well informed. It would not help FPS but im not going into explaining why, you can read it up or youtube it up :) But i appreciate your trying to add to the table.

1 hour ago, DobertRownySr said:

2560x1440 is not recommended, 1920x1080 is fine since the advent of integer scaling. 

1 hour ago, evakaname said:

I see you are not very well informed. It would not help FPS but im not going into explaining why, you can read it up or youtube it up :) But i appreciate your trying to add to the table.

Where exactly am I "not well informed?"
Are you trying to say that running games in 1080p is the same in terms of performance as running games in 2160p?

14 hours ago, DobertRownySr said:

Where exactly am I "not well informed?"
Are you trying to say that running games in 1080p is the same in terms of performance as running games in 2160p?

Im saying running games downscaled to 1080 ON a 4k monitor does little to nothing in terms of higher refresh rates. The physical pixel count of the monitor will not change if you downscale resolution, they need to be fed information. It also SUPPOSEDLY looks very bad, much worse than a native resolution. At least according to my 2 weeks research at this point lol but ive read so many debates by the time i reached the question of downscaling on 4k for performance that i dont know what to trust anymore, so i decided to try asking some tech site for more opinions but seems like it wont work either. I dont know who to believe. You might be right, but the 4-5 guys with tutorials debating it also might be the ones being right.... I have no experience with 4k monitors to figure it out for myself.

3 hours ago, evakaname said:

Im saying running games downscaled to 1080 ON a 4k monitor does little to nothing in terms of higher refresh rates. The physical pixel count of the monitor will not change if you downscale resolution, they need to be fed information. It also SUPPOSEDLY looks very bad, much worse than a native resolution. At least according to my 2 weeks research at this point lol but ive read so many debates by the time i reached the question of downscaling on 4k for performance that i dont know what to trust anymore, so i decided to try asking some tech site for more opinions but seems like it wont work either. I dont know who to believe. You might be right, but the 4-5 guys with tutorials debating it also might be the ones being right.... I have no experience with 4k monitors to figure it out for myself.

Running games on a 4k monitor down scaled to 1080p is the exact same as running them on a native 1080p monitor... Because they are only being rendered at 1080p...
Where are you getting your information?

4 hours ago, DobertRownySr said:

Running games on a 4k monitor down scaled to 1080p is the exact same as running them on a native 1080p monitor... Because they are only being rendered at 1080p...
Where are you getting your information?

Youtube, tech help sites, google, all around. There seems to be a LOT of cons to running downscale=most saying its worse than lowering settings of the game on native 4k)  and one of them is not getting more hz cuz something in the monitor limiting and the pixel count still fed, and the rendered lower res is then upscaled to the physical number of pixels. But i gave up deciding whos right. 1440 seems less controversial so lets end this branch here, its getting away from the topic...