RX580 8GB or Equivalent for under 200.00?

Yogi_DaBear221

Hey everyone, so this weekend I finally did my cooler upgrade, which I unfortunately attempted to do it myself and going off of what I saw from Enermax, and my lack of ever having installed a cooler on my own, I followed the enermax video which showed the MOBO being out of the chassis before they installed it, so I did that, and in between taking out my Graphics Card on Friday and my computer guy fixing my PC on Saturday night it stopped working or maybe it was from my attempt to pull it out. So luckily he found me the same card (A Power Color Red Dragon RX580) but in the 4GB model, so I'm of course looking to get back up to snuff. However I'd like something possibly not PowerColor. I'd like to keep it to AMD graphics but if there is a good Nvidia solution I'd also be interested. I need it to support DVI-D (I think that's the one), Display Port, and HDMI so I can keep my 3 monitors. I'm looking to spend under 200.00.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

14 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

'm looking to spend under 200.00.

in CAD you'll be looking at a used 580, but USD gets you a 580 8GB under $200 no problem

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/M7L48d/asrock-radeon-rx-580-8-gb-phantom-gaming-x-video-card-phantom-gxr-rx580-8g-oc

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

Hey everyone, so this weekend I finally did my cooler upgrade, which I unfortunately attempted to do it myself and going off of what I saw from Enermax, and my lack of ever having installed a cooler on my own, I followed the enermax video which showed the MOBO being out of the chassis before they installed it, so I did that, and in between taking out my Graphics Card on Friday and my computer guy fixing my PC on Saturday night it stopped working or maybe it was from my attempt to pull it out. So luckily he found me the same card (A Power Color Red Dragon RX580) but in the 4GB model, so I'm of course looking to get back up to snuff. However I'd like something possibly not PowerColor. I'd like to keep it to AMD graphics but if there is a good Nvidia solution I'd also be interested. I need it to support DVI-D (I think that's the one), Display Port, and HDMI so I can keep my 3 monitors. I'm looking to spend under 200.00.

Finding stuff that will output dual link dviD is hard.  The 580 will do it I have found.  I bought a 580 8gb for $160 recently. There is also the possibility of a used vega56 card.  Not sure what they’re going for atm.   DiviD single link is much much easier though.

What monitor do you have?  If it’s a 1080p@60hz monitor there are all kinds of simple adaptors that will work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Finding stuff that will output dual link dviD is hard.  The 580 will do it I have found.  I bought a 580 8gb for $160 recently.  DiviD single link is much much easier though.

What monitor do you have?

It's more or less an assortment but its an 1920X1080 HP Monitor is all I got is best on it, it came with like a desktop bundle my mom got years ago. It came with a Pavilion I can for sure tell you. Then I've got 2 Acer Monitors one of them is an Acer R221Q, and the other is an even older VGA Monitor that is 1366 X 768. I'm living in the land of adapters. 

Is there much of a difference between the RX590 and the 580?

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

3 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

no the 590 is a overclocked 580.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Well if I stayed with the 580, who would you recommend that isn't PowerColor?

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

1 hour ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

It's more or less an assortment but its an 1920X1080 HP Monitor is all I got is best on it, it came with like a desktop bundle my mom got years ago. It came with a Pavilion I can for sure tell you. Then I've got 2 Acer Monitors one of them is an Acer R221Q, and the other is an even older VGA Monitor that is 1366 X 768. I'm living in the land of adapters. 

Re. Monitors:

if you’re not going above 1080p@60hz basically any dvi-anything will work fine.  You don’t need a dvi capable card.  Exception is  dviA.  It’s rare though.  Anything that is dviD you’re fine.  Stick it in hdmi or DisplayPort.

re. 580 vs 590

Not a huge ton iirc.  A bit. 10-20%?  580 is better bang/buck generally.  I’m right barely under 60fps atm with a 580 on my machine atm and I’m kinda wishing I spent the extra fifty bucks.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, will4623 said:

no the 590 is a overclocked 580.

Like same hardware just higher clocks?  Hmm.. sounds like Im gonna be clocking it then.  

3 hours ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

I'm looking to spend under 200.00.

RX 5500 XT. $170USD. https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-5500-xt-rx5500xt-cld-4go/p/N82E16814930026

For using a DVI only monitor: https://www.newegg.com/black-coboc-6-ft-cable-connectors/p/N82E16882422117?Item=N82E16882422117 Only $3.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 hour ago, BTGbullseye said:

I’m developing a low opinion of the 5500 series.  It apparently has 8 lanes of pcie 4 instead of 16 lanes of pcie3 and it causes problems in some situations.  Like what you put a 4 gig one in a pcie 3 slot.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m developing a low opinion of the 5500 series.  It apparently has 8 lanes of pcie 4 instead of 16 lanes of pcie3 and it causes problems in some situations.  Like what you put a 4 gig one in a pcie 3 slot.

The only situation is when it has less of a bottleneck than typical GPUs when the VRAM is full, and you're on PCIe 4.0. Considering that that protocol is the most likely for you to be going to in the near future anyways, there really isn't any reason to dislike it.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

5 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

The only situation is when it has less of a bottleneck than typical GPUs when the VRAM is full, and you're on PCIe 4.0. Considering that that protocol is the most likely for you to be going to in the near future anyways, there really isn't any reason to dislike it.

I dislike the whole concept of “we’ll make our product worse because while it hurts the consumer it benefit us and we control them” thing.  Not something that would happen without limited competition.  If it was cheaper to make and they made it less expensive that would be one thing.  But they didn’t.  They made it more expensive because market pressure is broken in computers

Just now, Bombastinator said:

I dislike the whole concept of “we’ll make our product worse because while it hurts the consumer it benefit us and we control them” thing.  Not something that would happen without limited competition.

Except that it isn't worse, it's just better on 4.0.

It is.  Compare a 580 and a 5500.  

Just now, Bombastinator said:

It is.  Compare a 580 and a 5500.  

Sure, just give me $170 for a 5500 XT to test, and I'll give you some test results.

3 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Sure, just give me $170 for a 5500 XT to test, and I'll give you some test results.

Don’t need to.  They’ve been done.  More money, less zoom.  A few features nobody gets a choice about.  Oh.  And they’re more cheaply built.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Don’t need to.  They’ve been done.  More money, less zoom.  A few features nobody gets a choice about.  Oh.  And they’re more cheaply built.

So as per UserBenchMark, the RX580 shows to be superior in almost every way to the 5500

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

6 minutes ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

So as per UserBenchMark, the RX580 shows to be superior in almost every way to the 5500

IserBenchMark  is famous for not being very reliable.  That It’s data is sometimes useful is in some ways the best thing you can say about it. Its conclusion numbers are famously iffy.  It’s going to be even less reliable than normal until more systems are built using 5500s. The 5500 biases for pcie 4.0 and not a lot of people are building x570 systems and when they do they will likely use bigger cards.  5500 is a low end card but at one time the 580 was not so it’s going to be in systems that may be better built.  I would say though that if your system is pcie 3.0 the 5500 may be a poorer bang/buck solution at this time.  Part of it is I’m seeing the 580s as costing a good bit less than the 5500s.  If the 5500s are costing less than the 580 it would be a different thing.