How to get the type c port of my motherboard to work

rhonix

i have an asus strix b450 f gaming motherboard. bought it last july. i also bought a type c to type c cable. but i can't get the type c port to work. can anyone tell me how to make it work? thanls!

The ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING should have one type-C port at the back, is this the one you're using? There shouldn't be anything special you have to do, maybe the port or the cable is broken.

~edit: the specs say the Type-C port is actually USB 3.1 Gen 1 (aka USB 3.0). There's also two red Type-A ports at the back that are 3.1 Gen 2, so a Type-A to Type-C cable would actually be better in terms of speed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

i haven't considered that. i assumed maybe i need to update the bios to get it to work.

1 minute ago, rhonix said:

i haven't considered that. i assumed maybe i need to update the bios to get it to work.

I see no mention of USB issues on their BIOS page, but could be. The specs list the type-C port under Ryzen 1st/2nd gen, and Ryzen with Vega graphics. So if you have e.g. a 3rd gen CPU its possible you need to update the BIOS (again?).

Have you installed the Driver?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

i have a Ryzen 5 2600. is the type C port for video only or is it also used for file transfer?

8 minutes ago, rhonix said:

i have a Ryzen 5 2600. is the type C port for video only or is it also used for file transfer?

You should quote or mention people. Otherwise they get no notification, meaning @Master Disaster doesn't see your answer unless he happens to check the topic again. I'm pretty sure the motherboard's USB-C port doesn't do video, only data. To get video, the GPU would need to have such a port.

The only way to get video over a motherboard's USB-C port would be if the CPU has an iGPU and the port supports DisplayPort over USB-C, which I'm pretty sure would be mentioned on the board's specs.

50 minutes ago, rhonix said:

i also bought a type c to type c cable

What exactly are you attempting to connect to?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

16 minutes ago, rhonix said:

When I connect my Pixel 3 to my boards USB C port nothing happens except it charges the phone. On the phone I have to open the notification drawer, click the USB option and choose File Transfer mode for it to show up.

I checked your boards drivers and it has no USB driver available so it should work.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

@Kilrah i was trying to do file transfer to my phone

12 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You should quote or mention people. Otherwise they get no notification, meaning @Master Disaster doesn't see your answer unless he happens to check the topic again. I'm pretty sure the motherboard's USB-C port doesn't do video, only data. To get video, the GPU would need to have such a port.

The only way to get video over a motherboard's USB-C port would be if the CPU has an iGPU and the port supports DisplayPort over USB-C, which I'm pretty sure would be mentioned on the board's specs.

sorry, i didn't know how to do it before.

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

What exactly are you attempting to connect to?

i was trying to do file transfer to my phone

7 minutes ago, rhonix said:

sorry, i didn't how to do it before.

It's fine ;) As @Master Disaster said, you may have to switch your phone to file transfer mode for this to work.

Just now, rhonix said:

i was trying to do file transfer to my phone

Have you tried this...

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

When I connect my Pixel 3 to my boards USB C port nothing happens except it charges the phone. On the phone I have to open the notification drawer, click the USB option and choose File Transfer mode for it to show up.

I checked your boards drivers and it has no USB driver available so it should work.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

It's fine ;) As @Master Disaster said, you may have to switch you phone to file transfer mode for this to work.

maybe you're right. maybe it's the cable itself