Desktop/WiFi network upgrades, what's best for me

darklighthim

I'm currently running a basic Netgear WiFi router (ISP branded) downstairs which then feeds an older powerline adapter to my desktop PC upstairs.

I then have various google home speakers, couple of smartphones, tablet, laptop...etc all using the WiFi through my 2 storey house.

The setup I have works, albeit the powerline is slow these days, and even though there is no WiFi black spots it does get worse in my bedroom at the back of the house on the 2nd floor especially if I was connected to the 5ghz band and didn't switch.

So I'm looking to upgrade after the new year but have no idea what to go for or really what's the best way to set it up?

I need my desktop to have as good a speed as I can possibly get (I pay for 200mb cable internet) but then the WiFi just need to have decent speed while getting better coverage even if I am out in the back garden.

The desktop upstairs and the laptop/satellite box by the TV downstairs next to the router are the only devices using Ethernet, though I may add a files/media server to my setup so maybe that would be best to hard wire?

I've not really got a budget set yet, and I'm not looking for specific parts suggestions but more the options.

Once I know what I'm doing I can think about what I need then work out a budget based on that myself.

Thanks

Desktop
i5-760: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb Asus GTX 760 2gb

Laptop 

i5-4300u: 8GB ram, Intel HD: 128GB: 1080p Touch

21 minutes ago, darklighthim said:

I'm currently running a basic Netgear WiFi router (ISP branded) downstairs which then feeds an older powerline adapter to my desktop PC upstairs.

I then have various google home speakers, couple of smartphones, tablet, laptop...etc all using the WiFi through my 2 storey house.

The setup I have works, albeit the powerline is slow these days, and even though there is no WiFi black spots it does get worse in my bedroom at the back of the house on the 2nd floor especially if I was connected to the 5ghz band and didn't switch.

So I'm looking to upgrade after the new year but have no idea what to go for or really what's the best way to set it up?

I need my desktop to have as good a speed as I can possibly get (I pay for 200mb cable internet) but then the WiFi just need to have decent speed while getting better coverage even if I am out in the back garden.

The desktop upstairs and the laptop/satellite box by the TV downstairs next to the router are the only devices using Ethernet, though I may add a files/media server to my setup so maybe that would be best to hard wire?

I've not really got a budget set yet, and I'm not looking for specific parts suggestions but more the options.

Once I know what I'm doing I can think about what I need then work out a budget based on that myself.

Thanks

I’m not sure this is answerable.  It requires the prediction about how low power high freq radio travels through your house.  Also the WiFi types of the various devices aren’t mentioned.  There might be an argument for some a/x because there are a lot of connections, but they’re all of different types, and besides that the distance and travel problems are insurmountable.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

49 minutes ago, darklighthim said:

Thanks

WiFi wise. There are a few opitons. Id look in to some kinda of Mesh solution. ASUS has any of their routers support the AI mesh feature. Netgear, Ubiquti, and Google all have good options as well. That will probably do you for WiFi coverage. 

As far as powerline adapters are concerned. Proformance is based on the quality of wiring in your home. They do make adapters in varrying speeds, but reiablity wise, they can be iffy. If you have coax near your computer you might look in to Moca. It will work on the same lines used by the cable provider, you would just need to add a filter on to the incoming line from your cable provider to block the moca signal. Moca adapters generally can do 400 to 800 Mbps. The only issue with Moca is it wont work on the same lines as Satilite TV. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I've seen Mesh WiFi stuff when browsing a physical big retail store recently so that might be worth looking into.

Are TP-Link ones any good? I remember seeing them at a reasonable price for x2 set which would be enough (Just a guess) as I'm not in a huge house to need more but could add extra if I did.

As for powerline, I don't need it if the Mesh hardwired into my PC would be enough,otherwise I've seen a few reasonably price gigabit kits that may be useful.

I have a coax in the next room over that was used when my parents had a 2nd cable box for TV, but it refuses to work with my router even though it's the same connection as downstairs (Downstairs was originally split to provide TV and internet) If the coax worked I'd have just ran a 20m or so Ethernet cable to my PC for the fastest speed possible.

Desktop

Laptop 

1 minute ago, darklighthim said:

Are TP-Link ones any good?

TP Link is a budget brand so your milage may vary. 

2 minutes ago, darklighthim said:

2nd cable box for TV, but it refuses to work with my router even though it's the same connection as downstairs

There are a lot of reasons it might not work. Firstly cable modems need the best possible signal, so it could be that the line in your parents room is split one too many times before it gets back to the main line. So it could be a signal issue. But without knowing how your coax is setup, its hard to say if Moca would work. 

3 minutes ago, darklighthim said:

Mesh hardwired into my PC would be enoug

Hard to say. It really depends on the building materials of your home and how much other interfrence you have. As long as the Mesh units are able to work well, then you could be in like Flyn. Id probably just buy some mesh units and see what happens. Just keep in mind, mesh uses wireless backhaul. So my advice is to make sure you place those units in a good location so they get the signal they need. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

TP Link is a budget brand so your milage may vary. 

There are a lot of reasons it might not work. Firstly cable modems need the best possible signal, so it could be that the line in your parents room is split one too many times before it gets back to the main line. So it could be a signal issue. But without knowing how your coax is setup, its hard to say if Moca would work. 

Hard to say. It really depends on the building materials of your home and how much other interfrence you have. As long as the Mesh units are able to work well, then you could be in like Flyn. Id probably just buy some mesh units and see what happens. Just keep in mind, mesh uses wireless backhaul. So my advice is to make sure you place those units in a good location so they get the signal they need. 

I'll try to look up some reviews of the TP-Link stuff see how well they do, otherwise wait and invest in something better if it would be worth it.

I'm not on a budget, but at the same time I'd rather not spend more if I don't need to.,

All I know about our cable setup is there was none in the house when we bought it so as we needed TV/internet the cable company at the time ran a (line?) from our street to our house going to one coax point in the living room with a splitter so they could connect TV box and modem. Then a few years later they installed a 2nd coax point in an upstairs bedroom for TV.

We gave up TV after my dad passed away so the WiFi router provided to us by the ISP is the only coax device connected.

Desktop

Laptop