CPU cooler issues on 7700k need help

I got a 7700k to replace my 6600k and used my old Corsair h100 that's now a few years old. Initially I had issues with my 7700k hitting high 90s under load but now I transported it for the winter break and now it hits 100C at idle. My 6600k would overclock at like 70C. I assume it's my cooler but I don't know if my cooler went bad or I've had a mounting pressure issue the whole time. Does this look like proper mounting pressure? Thanks for the help. 

20191222_162825.jpg

20191222_162814.jpg

That looks like a whole lot of paste to me.  I got confused at the 6xxxk to 7xxxk upgrade though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That looks like a whole lot of paste to me.  I got confused at the 6xxxk to 7xxxk upgrade though.

I mentioned that because my cooler was working fine on my 6600k. I can't test it again because I already sold the 6600k. When I put on the paste it didn't seem like a lot so maybe it is enough pressure. How can I tell if a water cooler is bad?

Being a corsair cooler can you download iCue and see the pump speed? 

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

2 hours ago, Phantom329 said:

I got a 7700k to replace my 6600k and used my old Corsair h100 that's now a few years old. Initially I had issues with my 7700k hitting high 90s under load but now I transported it for the winter break and now it hits 100C at idle. My 6600k would overclock at like 70C. I assume it's my cooler but I don't know if my cooler went bad or I've had a mounting pressure issue the whole time. Does this look like proper mounting pressure? Thanks for the help. 

20191222_162825.jpg

20191222_162814.jpg

That's way too much paste.

WAY too much.

Remove all of the paste from both IHS and block.

Apply a rice sized grain to the very center of the IHS.

Mount the cooler fully with it fully secured down.

Then dismount it.  Take pictures of both surfaces for us. 

Then we will know if there is a problem with the mount itself or not.

30 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

That's way too much paste.

WAY too much.

Remove all of the paste from both IHS and block.

Apply a rice sized grain to the very center of the IHS.

Mount the cooler fully with it fully secured down.

Then dismount it.  Take pictures of both surfaces for us. 

Then we will know if there is a problem with the mount itself or not.

Ok I'll do that.

1 hour ago, ProfBrown said:

Being a corsair cooler can you download iCue and see the pump speed? 

Pump speed is set to max but can't confirm the actual speed because I shut it down as soon as I noticed the temps. 

1 hour ago, Phantom329 said:

Ok I'll do that.

Pump speed is set to max but can't confirm the actual speed because I shut it down as soon as I noticed the temps. 

Been an hour.  No pics? :(

52 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Been an hour.  No pics? :(

Just got home. Reapplied thermal paste and its not looking great. About to take off the block and see what the paste looks like. image.thumb.png.48a0679a005fdcd734d503ae47705e5e.png

1 minute ago, Phantom329 said:

Just got home. Reapplied thermal paste and its not looking great. About to take off the block and see what the paste looks like. image.thumb.png.48a0679a005fdcd734d503ae47705e5e.png

What I am remembering about this subject:

A bad pasting job won’t make quite the kind of heat problems you describe.  Not good but usually not quite that bad. a no pasting job or bad pressure might.  Too much paste makes smaller problems than too little paste. Still problems but less so.  Unpowered or broken pump makes more generally. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

What I am remembering about this subject:

A bad pasting job won’t make quite the kind of heat problems you describe.  Not good but usually not quite that bad. a no pasting job or bad pressure might.  Too much paste makes smaller problems than too little paste. Still problems but less so.  Unpowered or broken pump makes more generally. 

I'm concluding that the pump is broken... The top tube seemed to get pretty hot but the radiator and bottom tube is cool. Also wouldn't 47C be hot for the aio temp?

20191222_220121_HDR.jpg

7 minutes ago, Phantom329 said:

I'm concluding that the pump is broken... The top tube seemed to get pretty hot but the radiator and bottom tube is cool. Also wouldn't 47C be hot for the aio temp?

20191222_220121_HDR.jpg

The thin in the center thick at the sides thing I’m seeing makes me wonder about a flatness issue.  Might not be anything though.  The uneven hose temp thing makes me wonder if it’s plugged in.  I am not very experienced with AIO though.  I never used em that much.  There are those here with more.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The thin in the center thick at the sides thing I’m seeing makes me wonder about a flatness issue.  Might not be anything though.  The uneven hose temp thing makes me wonder if it’s plugged in.  I am not very experienced with AIO though.  I never used em that much.  There are those here with more.

I did notice the line in the middle too but the paste was spread to the edge so I don't know.

@Falkentyne what do you think of my last two posts?

22 minutes ago, Phantom329 said:

I did notice the line in the middle too but the paste was spread to the edge so I don't know.

@Falkentyne what do you think of my last two posts?

I need to see the CPU side of the surface also.

You only showed the pump side.  Also I believe you didn't do what I asked you to do.

I asked you to do the following.

1) remove all the paste from CPU and block.  Wipe it clean with alcohol, etc.

2) apply a rice sized grain to the center of the CPU.

3) mount, apply, screw down and secure the block.

4) unscrew and remove the block.

5) take pictures of BOTH the CPU and the block after doing this.

1 hour ago, Falkentyne said:

I need to see the CPU side of the surface also.

You only showed the pump side.  Also I believe you didn't do what I asked you to do.

I asked you to do the following.

1) remove all the paste from CPU and block.  Wipe it clean with alcohol, etc.

2) apply a rice sized grain to the center of the CPU.

3) mount, apply, screw down and secure the block.

4) unscrew and remove the block.

5) take pictures of BOTH the CPU and the block after doing this.

I cleaned both sides, used a rice sized dot of paste, reassembled, ran it for about 2 min to see any change and to verify my pump speed, here is the pic of the CPU. 

20191223_002144.jpg

I opened a RMA with Corsair so I think in the mean time I'll pick up a decent air cooler since I don't have any backups. I got the H100i 4.5 years ago so its just in the warranty period of 5 years.

1 minute ago, Phantom329 said:

I opened a RMA with Corsair so I think in the mean time I'll pick up a decent air cooler since I don't have any backups. I got the H100i 4.5 years ago so its just in the warranty period of 5 years.

Wow.  That’s a win right there lol.

2 hours ago, Phantom329 said:

I cleaned both sides, used a rice sized dot of paste, reassembled, ran it for about 2 min to see any change and to verify my pump speed, here is the pic of the CPU. 

20191223_002144.jpg

Yeah. That spread is just fine.  Contact is fine.  The pump may be the issue.

One thing however.  Is the CPU delidded and resealed or still stock?  Some people have had the Dow Corning paste degrade over time and become horrible

This was mentioned in a reddit thread on the i forgot, overclocking or intel group, where they changed coolers and temps did not improve at all.  

It would suck if you got a new cooler and the temps didn't get any better because the chip itself needed a delid to remove the original intel paste from under the IHS :(

9 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Yeah. That spread is just fine.  Contact is fine.  The pump may be the issue.

One thing however.  Is the CPU delidded and resealed or still stock?  Some people have had the Dow Corning paste degrade over time and become horrible

This was mentioned in a reddit thread on the i forgot, overclocking or intel group, where they changed coolers and temps did not improve at all.  

It would suck if you got a new cooler and the temps didn't get any better because the chip itself needed a delid to remove the original intel paste from under the IHS :(

It's a stock chip that hasn't been used when I got it last month. I don't want to delid but if the 212 doesn't seem to cool it, I will probably do it. 

4 hours ago, Phantom329 said:

It's a stock chip that hasn't been used when I got it last month. I don't want to delid but if the 212 doesn't seem to cool it, I will probably do it. 

Yeah i only mentioned this because another user on reddit had 'climbing temps' after over a year of using his chip, and neither a repaste nor a new cooler fixed the problem.  And contact was fine on the outside.  Several people suggested the problem was the Dow Corning IHS paste, so that's why I mentioned that as a possibility.

Rockit has both an 8th gen and 9th gen delid/relid kit (I think $39.95), and they also guarantee their work will not break the CPU.

LM in any semi decent amount is just highway robbery--that's how they get rich (5 grams of Conductonaut is $40), so I decided to just git gud and make my own (100 grams worth) for less than double the price of an overpriced 5g tube.  (having the original Conductonaut nozzle on any custom syringes is VERY important as even custom blunt metal tips aren't very suitable for conductonaut as it can still squirt out).

57 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Yeah i only mentioned this because another user on reddit had 'climbing temps' after over a year of using his chip, and neither a repaste nor a new cooler fixed the problem.  And contact was fine on the outside.  Several people suggested the problem was the Dow Corning IHS paste, so that's why I mentioned that as a possibility.

Rockit has both an 8th gen and 9th gen delid/relid kit (I think $39.95), and they also guarantee their work will not break the CPU.

LM in any semi decent amount is just highway robbery--that's how they get rich (5 grams of Conductonaut is $40), so I decided to just git gud and make my own (100 grams worth) for less than double the price of an overpriced 5g tube.  (having the original Conductonaut nozzle on any custom syringes is VERY important as even custom blunt metal tips aren't very suitable for conductonaut as it can still squirt out).

When last I looked at paste liquid metal was really high quality but had all sorts of problems.  I went with a paste filled with industrial diamond powder which wasn’t as good but lasted much much better.  It was also a lot cheaper.  Is that stuff still around?

33 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

When last I looked at paste liquid metal was really high quality but had all sorts of problems.  I went with a paste filled with industrial diamond powder which wasn’t as good but lasted much much better.  It was also a lot cheaper.  Is that stuff still around?

I assume you're referring to IC Diamond or something?  IDK I don't use that.

I use Kryonaut and homemade Galinstan LM.

Just now, Falkentyne said:

I assume you're referring to IC Diamond or something?  IDK I don't use that.

I use Kryonaut and homemade Galinstan LM.

I don’t remember what it was called. It was sold by weight and diameter of the dust used.  Carbon transfers heat really really well and diamonds are carbon.