does memory % used include vram

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
13 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

To my knowledge only APUs usually ever use DRAM, otherwise when looking in task manager VRAM usage should be defined separately.  

image.png.271e9b665ae222e45847461ec9992c34.png

iGPUs do it too.  The old ones did it by never showing the vram used to the system, so if you have 16gb of total memory and the iGPU is set to use 2gb the OS shows a total of 14gb of memory.

in task manger is the is the amount of memory used including the amount of vram also being used? or is it just the showing the % of the ram used by the system/games/apps ect

Depends.  Some GPUs use system memory, some don’t.  If the gpu uses system memory there may be a separate way it is described.  Once upon a time it was done by a variance in the total amount of memory available.  I don’t know if it’s done differently in your system or not.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The dedicated "Memory" section in the Task Manager is reserved for ONLY ram and if you want to see how much vram your using you would go to the "GPU" section in the Task Manager

13 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

To my knowledge only APUs usually ever use DRAM, otherwise when looking in task manager VRAM usage should be defined separately.  

image.png.271e9b665ae222e45847461ec9992c34.png

iGPUs do it too.  The old ones did it by never showing the vram used to the system, so if you have 16gb of total memory and the iGPU is set to use 2gb the OS shows a total of 14gb of memory.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

ye, part of why its important to go through BIOS when going from full APU to APU + discrete graphics card, sometimes even when iGPU is disabled it will still be munching up 2gb of DRAM doing nothing if you dont configure it in the bios to stop trying to allocate it.  (or atleast so i've heard, can be issue i believe on certain ASRocks)