what card to get for kodi only with possiblt some retro emulation

intertan

Watching LTT latest video with central PC and monitors around the house I have been wanting to something like this for years. I did look at hdbaset that was fine but had latency issues when it would come to gaming.

No I am wondering if taking the same/similar rout would be a good option.

I will only use it for kodi, with some retro gaming. psx/n64 is about as high as I will go. I am thinking a single slot GPU would probably work. What would work for hdr10?

9 hours ago, intertan said:

I will only use it for kodi, with some retro gaming. psx/n64 is about as high as I will go. I am thinking a single slot GPU would probably work. What would work for hdr10?

RX 5500 XT would probably be your best bet, though you could go for a more expensive card if you really wanted. (it wouldn't really improve anything) Also, a single-slot card, unless it's a watercooled variant, will not satisfy your needs if you are doing HDR at 1080p or higher.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

1 hour ago, BTGbullseye said:

RX 5500 XT would probably be your best bet, though you could go for a more expensive card if you really wanted. (it wouldn't really improve anything) Also, a single-slot card, unless it's a watercooled variant, will not satisfy your needs if you are doing HDR at 1080p or higher.

any idea when amd/nvidia added hdr10 to there cards? I only have a gt430 at the moment. Not a pc gamer as you can tell.

Also ig you know how many pcie lanes would I need?

11 hours ago, intertan said:

any idea when amd/nvidia added hdr10 to there cards? I only have a gt430 at the moment. Not a pc gamer as you can tell.

Also ig you know how many pcie lanes would I need?

Nvidia introduced it in the 900 series, and AMD started it with the R9 300 series.

Well, with that particular GPU, to get full capabilities, 8 lanes of PCIe 4.0. That is of course only applicable if the GPU VRAM is filled, and it should do just fine on 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 as long as you don't do something to fill the VRAM all the way.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms