Please help me with my pc

Xarkly

umm, i have this pc>https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r9-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i7-9700-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-1tb-hdd-512gb-ssd-white-lunar-light/6373818.p?skuId=6373818 and ive been told i have a good pc and i have 8 cores and a RTX 2080 but when i play games i only have like 120 frames and my friend has a worse pc yet he gets 240-300 so...? i just don'y inderstand what else i can do to get batter frames and also it won't let me open my nvidia controll pannel so. i would really appreciate if someone would help me. also don't mind my horrid typing. im only 13 and havnt practiced typing. if anyone will hwlp me my discord is Xarkly #2486

4 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

umm, i have this pc>https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienware-aurora-r9-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i7-9700-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-1tb-hdd-512gb-ssd-white-lunar-light/6373818.p?skuId=6373818 and ive been told i have a good pc and i have 8 cores and a RTX 2080 but when i play games i only have like 120 frames and my friend has a worse pc yet he gets 240-300 so...? i just don'y inderstand what else i can do to get batter frames and also it won't let me open my nvidia controll pannel so. i would really appreciate if someone would help me. also don't mind my horrid typing. im only 13 and havnt practiced typing. if anyone will hwlp me my discord is Xarkly #2486

What are your friends specs?

They may be running the game at lower settings, resolution,... and thus getting a higher fps.

You didn't list the game(s) or the settings you play as so it's hard to know if this system is performing as it should or not.

1. What games are you running?
  2. are you using the same graphics settings on the games?
  3. make sure drivers are all up to date.
  4. are you using a 4k display while your friend is using a 1080p display?
  5. What are the temperatures you are running for your CPU/GPU?
  6. Do you have alot of software running in the background?
  7. Is your friend using a more powerful machine?

These questions would need to be answered before anything could be done in helping in your problem. Make sure if you want to do a side by side comparison that games are set to the exact same settings including windows/full screen mode and the resolution is the same. If the computer was sitting in a box for a while you might need to make sure the drivers are all up to date. This can be checked on Alienware's website. Also make sure Nvidia drivers up to date at link here. Are you using the same displays? If your running games at 4k resolution this is much harder then a 1080p monitor. With alienware make sure your temps are ok there are alot of software thats free that will show you your temps on CPU/GPU. Run Task manager and see if there is some weird software using alot of your RAM/CPU when you try to play a game. 

i play Fortnite titan fall 2 and i play on all low settings and i use a 1080p display, also hes not using a more powerful computer. also i don't know how to check my cpu and gpu temps. and to my knowledge i should be using the most up to date drivers 

9 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

i play Fortnite titan fall 2 and i play on all low settings and i use a 1080p display, also hes not using a more powerful computer. also i don't know how to check my cpu and gpu temps. and to my knowledge i should be using the most up to date drivers 

With that machine, you should be playing in High or Max/Ultra at 1080p and getting good FPS.  On low, 120 FPS is not good.

Is your friend getting those frames in the same games, or is he getting high frame rates in other games like CS:GO?

57 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

Do you have V-sync enabled, in either the in-game graphics options or in your Nvidia Control Panel? That option will cap your frame rate. Some games also have separate frame rate cap options aside from V-sync.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

It's probably your power settings. Power settings by default are usually set to conserve power even for a desktop including for your cpu, pci slot and graphics card.  Also go to your graphic card settings and make sure no power saving feature is on. 

15 hours ago, Xarkly said:

I had almost the same issue but with an older machine. I was searching for a solution online and I have found this guide and I have followed it step by step and it had helped me a lot.. So if your problem is not hardware related I am suggesting you to use that guide cuz it is Fortnite specific and it is quite detailed.