Would RX 5500 XT bottleneck R5 3600

SnarklyDuck

Hello. I've been planning to build a pc for quite some time and my thoughts have changed a lot during the past months. I'll finally have the cash saved up next month and I've settled for a 1080p system.

So I wanted to know if R5 3600 would be overkill if I went with RX 5500 XT Pulse (4GB) by Sapphire or if I should get R5 2600 and save a bit on the CPU.

I decided that I want a mini-ITX system so I threw together these parts. I checked and there's enough clearance for the GPU and the case supports ATX PSUs, so should be fine there.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Walmart) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($124.79 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($77.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5500 XT 4 GB PULSE Video Card  ($183.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H210 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $834.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-20 08:28 EST-0500

Spoiler

Well the RX 5500XT 4GB is actually slower than the RX 580 and RX 590 which costs the same... furthermore the R5 2600 would indeed be just as adequate.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

If you're that tight on budget an itx system probably isn't worth the extra money

Here's an matx system with a significantly stronger gpu:

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

If you're that tight on budget an itx system probably isn't worth the extra money

Here's an matx system with a significantly stronger gpu:

I have to get a monitor as well. If I went with this, I could consider getting a 1440p one, right?

3 minutes ago, SnarklyDuck said:

I have to get a monitor as well. If I went with this, I could consider getting a 1440p one, right?

You could, sure.

I would probably do 1080 144hz though- unless you do graphic or video editing

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

5 minutes ago, SnarklyDuck said:

i have a 1080p 144Hz monitor and I get over 100FPS with all the games I have, including RDR2 on low settings. I don't think I would get over 100FPS at 1440p, but I have not tried it. I bet there will be videos on youtube from people that have. Have a look at MSI motherboards, I think they have better VRM. Also I think that case got really bad reviews for thermals - or i might be thinking of a different case. I have to go back to work now.

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You could, sure.

I would probably do 1080 144hz though- unless you do graphic or video editing

I'll use it purely for gaming. I've never actually experienced a 1440p monitor or 144mhz refreshrate, so I wouldn't know. I have a lot of AAA games to catch up on and I'd also be playing esports games. 

AAA titles on 144mhz/fps would be more enjoyable than 60fps on 1440p?

9 minutes ago, Geoff35674567 said:

i have a 1080p 144Hz monitor and I get over 100FPS with all the games I have, including RDR2 on low settings. I don't think I would get over 100FPS at 1440p, but I have not tried it. I bet there will be videos on youtube from people that have. Have a look at MSI motherboards, I think they have better VRM. Also I think that case got really bad reviews for thermals - or i might be thinking of a different case. I have to go back to work now.

I guess it wouldn't be worth it going 1440p then. Ty!

4 minutes ago, SnarklyDuck said:

I'll use it purely for gaming. I've never actually experienced a 1440p monitor or 144mhz refreshrate, so I wouldn't know. I have a lot of AAA games to catch up on and I'd also be playing esports games. 

AAA titles on 144mhz/fps would be more enjoyable than 60fps on 1440p?

1080 144hz then. 

You won't gain much from 1440p aside from lower frames 

Sigh, I am so tired of the word bottleneck being tossed around so often.

There is ALWAYS going to be a bottleneck created by one component or another. This is unavoidable. 

When it comes to a bottleneck the best place for it to be is on the GPU. That means your system is working correctly and is able to feed the GPU the data it needs as fast as it can take it. This also means that when you upgrade your GPU in the future you will see a performance increase.

Now lets say your bottleneck is on the CPU. Then it would actually make it so your GPU wasn't able to perform at 100% and if you replaced it for a faster one you would not see an FPS increase at all. This is where a bottleneck actually matters and I would also argue that unless it is reducing your GPU utilization by more than say 10-15% it isn't something to be concerned about in any case.

So stop concerning yourself on whether or not there is a bottleneck, but instead focus on WHERE the bottleneck is occuring. You pretty much always want the GPU to be your limiting factor when you have a properly setup machine. 

10 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Sigh, I am so tired of the word bottleneck being tossed around so often.

There is ALWAYS going to be a bottleneck created by one component or another. This is unavoidable. 

When it comes to a bottleneck the best place for it to be is on the GPU. That means your system is working correctly and is able to feed the GPU the data it needs as fast as it can take it. This also means that when you upgrade your GPU in the future you will see a performance increase.

Now lets say your bottleneck is on the CPU. Then it would actually make it so your GPU wasn't able to perform at 100% and if you replaced it for a faster one you would not see an FPS increase at all. This is where a bottleneck actually matters and I would also argue that unless it is reducing your GPU utilization by more than say 10-15% it isn't something to be concerned about in any case.

So stop concerning yourself on whether or not there is a bottleneck, but instead focus on WHERE the bottleneck is occuring. You pretty much always want the GPU to be your limiting factor when you have a properly setup machine. 

Ok, thank you :) Learn something every day. I'm not that experienced in PCs since I've only had low-end laptops, so I didn't know that in these cases cpu "bottlenecks" aren't a thing. Will keep it in mind ?