RX570 Temps.

MystikPahndah

Hi everyone.

While playing Borderlands 3 and other demanding games like The Outer Worlds, my GPU fans rev up quite a bit. Thats not my main concern, but the fact that MSI Afterburner reports that the average temp is 81c (177f). Its an RX570. Are these temps something to worry about necessarily? And this is the highest I've seen it go. It can vary between 75 to 80 depending on load. 

I would also like to say that where i live at the moment (Australia) it has been in the low to mid 40c most the week so the ambient temp is quite warm to begin with. Not sure if that affects temps but. 

the ambient temps definitely affect the boards temps. 81 is ok under load, but depending on what temp limit is set in msi afterburner, your gpu might throttle if it hits the limit.

2 minutes ago, MystikPahndah said:

I would also like to say that where i live at the moment (Australia) it has been in the low to mid 40c most the week so the ambient temp is quite warm to begin with. Not sure if that affects temps but. 

That surely affects temps too, as the temperatures of your components are delta over ambient, meaning the GPU is running 40 degrees C over ambient.

That is a fine temperature, although I believe the RX-series prefers a max temp closer to 70-75 degrees C. Increasing the fan speed can get you these temps.

If I were you I would keep an eye on core clock speeds. If those are decreasing, you might need to change the fan curve.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

That surely affects temps too, as the temperatures of your components are delta over ambient, meaning the GPU is running 40 degrees C over ambient.

That is a fine temperature, although I believe the RX-series prefers a max temp closer to 70-75 degrees C. Increasing the fan speed can get you these temps.

If I were you I would keep an eye on core clock speeds. If those are decreasing, you might need to change the fan curve.

MSI has the Core Clock at 1244mhz at the moment. I actually just spun my PC around to face more towards my fan I have running and it seems to have dropped to 75 consistently. 

Have any good tips for changing the fan curve? I assume you recommend making it so the fans spin up at lower temps to prevent higher ones?

12 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the ambient temps definitely affect the boards temps. 81 is ok under load, but depending on what temp limit is set in msi afterburner, your gpu might throttle if it hits the limit.

The limit is set to 90 which is the highest it will go. I didn't set this to begin with. 

1 minute ago, MystikPahndah said:

The limit is set to 90 which is the highest it will go. I didn't set this to begin with. 

it's ok then. if you're noticing reduced fps from time to time it means it hits 90 and throttles to keep the temps down. you can try to set a more aggressive fan curve in afterburner.

Just now, MystikPahndah said:

MSI has the Core Clock at 1244mhz at the moment. I actually just spun my PC around to face more towards my fan I have running and it seems to have dropped to 75 consistently. 

Have any good tips for changing the fan curve? I assume you recommend making it so the fans spin up at lower temps to prevent higher ones?

in terms of program, I would recommend MSI Afterburner.

The way you should setup your fan curve though will depend on the GPU fans and the temperatures. You will have to try out some different curves.

You can also setup a curve or a more simple 'stair' fan setup, depending on how the GPU sounds when it goes from one speed to another.

Generally I would say 90 degrees+ = 100% fan speed

Under 50 degrees = keep speed as low as possible

What you should do inbetween depends on your case fan setup too, but try out some different settings from there.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/