APU ? or budget CPU and GPU ??

carlos9759

So im building a new pc. Im deciding to get the AMD ryzen 5 3400g APU that goes for $150USD. ive seen videos of the apu being a solid chip, but i also heard from them that you can easily get better performance ( gaming wise) if you can get a budget amd chip thats like $50USD and a entry level graphics card around $110+ USD.

heres my pc partpicker link if you guys want to take a look !! . i know later on in the future im bound to upgrade to the big boy CPUs and a better GPU!! (AMD ryzen 5 3900x paird with a nvidia 2070 super) but for now, i got to start off small !!

the help would truly be appreciated !!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/klikkzz/saved/CVJdXL

I'd recommend looking at a last gen ryzen 3 and a used gpu, should run you a bit more, but it's a ton more power.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

cheaper and better

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $119.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $123.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card $99.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $58.54 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $422.51
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $402.51
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-19 04:22 EST-0500  

i'd say pick up a B450i gaming plus AC and a 2600, use the money for an RX 570 instead.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Or go with a solid 2nd hand setup, then replace the graphics card, maybe PSU as well, with a good new one that fits the budget. Best bang for the buck with tight budget if gaming is its main purpose.

to me, it doesn't make sense to get a $200 x570 board for an apu. 

if you want to play games, i suggest a 2nd gen ryzen and a used gpu

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

to me, it doesn't make sense to get a $200 x570 board for an apu. 

if you want to play games, i suggest a 2nd gen ryzen and a used gpu

my plan was to get the $200 motherboard because i know months down the line, im bound to either get the 3900x or 3700x (im really indecisive) sell the apu, and then save more cash to get the 2070 super then sell the budget GPU. i didnt want to get a B450 motherboard and pair it with listed CPUs above because depending on the merchant that sells the motherboard, i wouldn't know if the motherboard would come in with the new bios update that supports said CPUs , and if it didnt come in updated, i would have to buy another cpu just to update the motherboard, which i dont want to do. but at that point, i know i wouldn't just play games with that power. im a beatmaker. i know im going to render out 1080p videos and beats from my daw and do some editing here and there.....sooooo yea ?‍♂️ haha

22 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

cheaper and better

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $119.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard $123.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card $99.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $58.54 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $422.51
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $402.51
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-19 04:22 EST-0500  

Thanks bro !!

Just now, carlos9759 said:

my plan was to get the $200 motherboard because i know months down the line, im bound to either get the 3900x or 3700x (im really indecisive) sell the apu, and then save more cash to get the 2070 super then sell the budget GPU. i didnt want to get a B450 motherboard and pair it with listed CPUs above because depending on the merchant that sells the motherboard, i wouldn't know if the motherboard would come in with the new bios update that supports said CPUs , and if it didnt come in updated, i would have to buy another cpu just to update the motherboard, which i dont want to do. but at that point, i know i wouldn't just play games with that power. im a beatmaker. i know im going to render out 1080p videos and beats from my daw and do some editing here and there.....sooooo yea ?‍♂️ haha

the 3700x will work fine with the b450 board. you are already getting the r5 2600, so you can update the bios if needed.

if you are going to get a 3900x, i'd recomend the asus tuf x570 instead.

26 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

I'd recommend looking at a last gen ryzen 3 and a used gpu, should run you a bit more, but it's a ton more power.

im looking into that bro, thats why i havnt bought the main things. i got to do more research before i even make purchases

2 minutes ago, carlos9759 said:

i didnt want to get a B450 motherboard and pair it with listed CPUs above because depending on the merchant that sells the motherboard, i wouldn't know if the motherboard would come in with the new bios update that supports said CPUs ,

i know the b450 tomahawk MAX comes with an updated bios ready for 3rd gen ryzen. I'm sure a few others do by now as well, but that's the only one i'm 100% certain of

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the 3700x will work fine with the b450 board. you are already getting the r5 2600, so you can update the bios if needed.

if you are going to get a 3900x, i'd recomend the asus tuf x570 instead.

wow... i did not think of that bro....what a fail hahaha !! thanks man. i appreciate the help

4 minutes ago, Derrk said:

i know the b450 tomahawk MAX comes with an updated bios ready for 3rd gen ryzen. I'm sure a few others do by now as well, but that's the only one i'm 100% certain of

i guess where just gonna have to see then bro. haha ?‍♂️ thank you for the suggestion ?