My pc isnt booting? Is it bcs my GPU is damaged? HELP

DenkataBG

Hello! Recently I bought a new CPU and new Motherboard (i5-4670k, ASUS z87-PRO) I migrated my parts to my new motherboard. Im working with checkpoints. First I installed the CPU(with the cooler), RAM, PSU, 1 SSD, 2HHD. I started it up and it booted to bios with no problems. Later on, I put the GPU(GTX 670 Zotac amp) and when I press the power switch the fans spin for a second and then everything stops. I don't get an error code from the motherboard(Z87-Pro has a little 2 eight digits LED that shows the error code). Then I replaced my GPu with some old one(GT 210) and it worked. I updated bios to its most recent version but nothings changed.

I need help guys. If anyone knows why and what is happening please respond to this thread.

I can take pics of the GPU if it will help.

Thank you in advance!

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

What power supply?

900w  keep out

Make sure you fully seat the GPU. If that doesn't work put the old GPU back in and reset the CMOS. Then boot reinstall the new GPU.

6 minutes ago, DenkataBG said:

Hello! Recently I bought a new CPU and new Motherboard (i5-4670k, ASUS z87-PRO) I migrated my parts to my new motherboard. Im working with checkpoints. First I installed the CPU(with the cooler), RAM, PSU, 1 SSD, 2HHD. I started it up and it booted to bios with no problems. Later on, I put the GPU(GTX 670 Zotac amp) and when I press the power switch the fans spin for a second and then everything stops. I don't get an error code from the motherboard(Z87-Pro has a little 2 eight digits LED that shows the error code). Then I replaced my GPu with some old one(GT 210) and it worked. I updated bios to its most recent version but nothings changed.

I need help guys. If anyone knows why and what is happening please respond to this thread.

Thank you in advance!

That's almost certainly the GPU in an "not enough power" state, check that the PCIe cables are attached to the GPU and the PSU end if they're modular.

5 minutes ago, VinZie said:

Make sure you fully seat the GPU. If that doesn't work put the old GPU back in and reset the CMOS. Then boot reinstall the new GPU.

What is CMOS?

5 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That's almost certainly the GPU in an "not enough power" state, check that the PCIe cables are attached to the GPU and the PSU end if they're modular.

The PSU is 900w I dont think it doesnt have enough. I also used this GPU on my old setup with the same PSU.

1 minute ago, DenkataBG said:

The PSU is 900w I dont think it doesnt have enough. I also used this GPU on my old setup with the same PSU.

The cables, check the cables. 

Just now, Kisai said:

The cables, check the cables. 

I did they are all in. They are 6 x 2 12 volt pins. I tested them with the multimeter and they give electricity.

I did they are all in. They are 6 x 2 12 volt pins. I tested them with the multimeter and they give electricity.

6 x 2 pins that are 12 volts

3 minutes ago, DenkataBG said:

What is CMOS?

The CMOS is a battery on your motherboard that stores the Bio's settings. Turn off your PC, use a screwdriver to get the CMOS out, turn on your pc, turn off, put CMOS back in.

1 minute ago, VinZie said:

The CMOS is a battery on your motherboard that stores the Bio's settings. Turn off your PC, use a screwdriver to get the CMOS out, turn on your pc, turn off, put CMOS back in.

Isnt it too risky. I just got the Motherboard. I dont want it ruined. Any safety mesaures?

6 x 12 pins*

The website for the GPU shows that it came with 4-pin Molex to PCIe connectors, if you're using those make sure those have all the connectors plugged in. It's not a question of voltage but power draw.

Isnt it too risky. I just got the Motherboard. I dont want it ruined. Any safety mesaures?

Discharge your static on a metal surface (case) before touching any components.

21 minutes ago, DenkataBG said:

Thank you in advance!

I also have this issue in the past. This is maybe your graphics card. Try plugging in the Graphics card in another computer. If that computer doesnt post like ur pc, then maybe you have an issue with your GPU

Reminder to always be happy even in tough situations 🙂

5 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The website for the GPU shows that it came with 4-pin Molex to PCIe connectors, if you're using those make sure those have all the connectors plugged in. It's not a question of voltage but power draw.

15766853757217621619410914285391.jpg

15766854107007540514029326793477.jpg

3 minutes ago, Andrew54 said:

I also have this issue in the past. This is maybe your graphics card. Try plugging in the Graphics card in another computer. If that computer doesnt post like ur pc, then maybe you have an issue with your GPU

I will go to the only PC service in town. I try to avoid this guy in there because he is known for scamming people. Example: Your power switch pins are disconnected. He says(knowing the person dont understand PCs): "Your motherboard is damaged, we need to buy a new one:" I will ask him to test it on the spot.

Just now, DenkataBG said:

I will go to the only PC service in town. I try to avoid this guy in there because he is known for scamming people. Example: Your power switch pins are disconnected. He says(knowing the person dont understand PCs): "Your motherboard is damaged, we need to buy a new one:" I will ask him to test it on the spot.

But it can also be your motherboard. Did you buy it new or used or refurbished ? Usually with Refurbished boards there's a chance that theres still an issue in there

Just now, Andrew54 said:

But it can also be your motherboard. Did you buy it new or used or refurbished ? Usually with Refurbished boards there's a chance that theres still an issue in there

Brand new! My brother bought before 1-2 years. And he gave it to me. It comes with papers and stuff

4 minutes ago, DenkataBG said:

Brand new! My brother bought before 1-2 years. And he gave it to me. It comes with papers and stuff

Hey man sometimes if you buy something new u might get issues with it within a couple months. Im just sayin

2 minutes ago, Andrew54 said:

Hey man sometimes if you buy something new u might get issues with it within a couple months. Im just sayin

Ik bro but it works with gt 210. Why wont it work with gtx 670 AMP Zotac. Im so sad oof

Ik bro but it works with gt 210. Why wont it work with gtx 670 AMP Zotac. Im so sad oof

Because the GT 210 is a 31w TDP card, and the 670 is a 170w TDP  card. That's why we've been saying it's probably the power. Plug in both PCIe connectors to the video card. Also if there is an additional 4 or 8 pin motherboard connector, make sure that one is plugged in to the MB as well. 

Just now, Kisai said:

Because the GT 210 is a 31w TDP card, and the 670 is a 170w TDP  card. That's why we've been saying it's probably the power. Plug in both PCIe connectors to the video card. Also if there is an additional 4 or 8 pin motherboard connector, make sure that one is plugged in to the MB as well. 

Both 6 pins are connected. I used the same PSU and GPu on my old setup. Both of them were working perfect

Both 6 pins are connected. I used the same PSU and GPu on my old setup. Both of them were working perfect

Yes, but you said your previous GPU was the GT210 which only requires a 350w PSU and doesn't use the PCIe power connectors, the GTX 670 requires 450w and requires 170 watts from having both of the PCIe connectors connected. 

Like there's two possibilities here:

1) The 670 GPU doesn't work, or it's PCIe power connection is not working

2) the PSU isn't supplying enough power (as in watts not voltage) for that GPU to work

Like trademark "not enough power" is that the fans spin for like 1 second and then turn back off because it's detecting an overload on the motherboard, that overload being the GPU.

Like an alternative possibility is that the 670 just doesn't work with that MB, which would be strange, did it work in any other system?