Trying to recover DATA from a SSD

GabrielFerrazTPU
Go to solution Solved by Lady Fitzgerald,

While SSDs have many advantages over HDDs that can compensate for their higher prices, one disadvantage of sorts is that, when they fail, they almost always fail irrecoverably.

The reason I said that disadvantage was "of sorts" is, while HDDs sometimes can have the data recovered after they fail, there is no guarantee of that. Added to that is any drive, no matter if it's HDD or SSD, can fail irrecoverably at any time without any warning whatsoever. The only protection for that is to have backups.

Before making any kind of a change on a drive, be it reformatting, changing settings, adding or removing programs, adding or deleting data, etc. it should be backed up so, if something goes sideways while or after making the change, you can recover from it. By keeping backups updated as frequently as practical, you are far better protected from sudden, unexpected drive failures.

Hello everyone and Good morning, afternoon and night.

A couple day's ago, my syster asked me to format her computer but forgot to mention she had some file that i needed to backup up. Currently i'm trying to recover it, she's currently using a SAMSUNG EVO 860 500GB(excellent state). What softwares should i use? Besides RECUVA, EASEUS and RECOVERIT, because i couldn't find her files in it? Since it's not a lot of files, paying for a company to try recovering them would be very expensive.

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

"... To see the world in a grain of sand. Heaven in a wild flower

Hold infinite in the palm of your hand.  And eternity in an hour ..."

PC: 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

Just now, GabrielLP14 said:

A couple day's ago, my syster asked me to format her computer but forgot to mention she had some file that i needed to backup up. Currently i'm trying to recover it, she's currently using a SAMSUNG EVO 860 500GB(excellent state). What softwares should i use? Besides RECUVA, EASEUS and RECOVERIT, because i couldn't find her files in it? Since it's not a lot of files, paying for a company to try recovering them would be very expensive.

Did you format the SSD under Windows? If you did, Windows probably TRIMmed it and no files on it are recoverable with any software, whatsoever. The only way to recover anything in such a case would be a professional company that would have to access the Flash-chips directly.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Did you format the SSD under Windows? If you did, Windows probably TRIMmed it and no files on it are recoverable with any software, whatsoever. The only way to recover anything in such a case would be a professional company that would have to access the Flash-chips directly.

Hmm, yes i did that, thank you so  much, well i don't think i have a choice then.

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

While SSDs have many advantages over HDDs that can compensate for their higher prices, one disadvantage of sorts is that, when they fail, they almost always fail irrecoverably.

The reason I said that disadvantage was "of sorts" is, while HDDs sometimes can have the data recovered after they fail, there is no guarantee of that. Added to that is any drive, no matter if it's HDD or SSD, can fail irrecoverably at any time without any warning whatsoever. The only protection for that is to have backups.

Before making any kind of a change on a drive, be it reformatting, changing settings, adding or removing programs, adding or deleting data, etc. it should be backed up so, if something goes sideways while or after making the change, you can recover from it. By keeping backups updated as frequently as practical, you are far better protected from sudden, unexpected drive failures.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Agreed, since my NAS isn't operational yet, i still do manual backup, but she usually ask me when to do it, but usually she does it herself, she has backup for most of her data, but the data she lost was only the "last week" data. Before that i have it all.

NOTEBOOK:

1 hour ago, GabrielLP14 said:

Agreed, since my NAS isn't operational yet, i still do manual backup, but she usually ask me when to do it, but usually she does it herself, she has backup for most of her data, but the data she lost was only the "last week" data. Before that i have it all.

That shows the importance of keeping backups as up to date as possible. I have a policy of making an image of my bootdrive/partition before I update the OS or programs, make any changes to settings, install or uninstall programs, etc. so my ample asset is covered "just in case". I also update my data backups immediately after adding any critical data. It sounds paranoid but it has saved my bacon data and boot drive a few times.

Btw, if the NAS will be connected to the network and powered up all the time, I suggest you continue to also make manual backups.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

15 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

That shows the importance of keeping backups as up to date as possible. I have a policy of making an image of my bootdrive/partition before I update the OS or programs, make any changes to settings, install or uninstall programs, etc. so my ample asset is covered "just in case". I also update my data backups immediately after adding any critical data. It sounds paranoid but it has saved my bacon data and boot drive a few times.

Btw, if the NAS will be connected to the network and powered up all the time, I suggest you continue to also make manual backups.

I'll do that once my NAS is installed, by the way i'm thinking of getting a DS1019+. What do you think?

NOTEBOOK:

2 hours ago, GabrielLP14 said:

I'll do that once my NAS is installed, by the way i'm thinking of getting a DS1019+. What do you think?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with NASes enough to make a recommendation since I don't use one (nor ever needed one). You will have to ask someone else abut that.

Jeannie

I See but thank you anyway, have a great day XD

NOTEBOOK:

1 hour ago, GabrielLP14 said:

I See but thank you anyway, have a great day XD

You too, thank you!

Jeannie