Seeing what is installed on an Windows install without it being booted

LewisSpring

Hello,

I have brought a new PC, since my old one died, and have no way of booting my system up to see what was installed. How can I do so?

I have access to my files via SATA > USB adapter, but i know some programs get installed to places other than Program Files.

Thanks

UTC/GMT (Except during BST)

No easy way to access "installed programs" without running Windows. I'm sure that info is in some OS file, or maybe the registry but that won't be easy to access.

You could potentially try to run it as a virtual machine. There are ways to use a physical disk as a VM's disk, so you could try to boot up your old Windows installation in a virtual environment.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

10 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

No easy way to access "installed programs" without running Windows. I'm sure that info is in some OS file, or maybe the registry but that won't be easy to access.

You could potentially try to run it as a virtual machine. There are ways to use a physical disk as a VM's disk, so you could try to boot up your old Windows installation in a virtual environment.

If i have issues running my install on the new PC, I'll give that a go. Thanks!

33 minutes ago, TheLewisS1 said:

Hello,

I have brought a new PC, since my old one died, and have no way of booting my system up to see what was installed. How can I do so?

I have access to my files via SATA > USB adapter, but i know some programs get installed to places other than Program Files.

Thanks

Programs *only* get installed under C:\Program Files and C:\Program FIles(x86)......*unless* you choose a different directory (C:\Steam comes to mind)

So assuming you took the defaults, it'd be quite easy to see what's on your old drive. You probably couldn't run them, but you could see what you had...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

That's incorrect, a lot of "newfangled" programs install themselves in the user's profile directory to avoid requiring admin rights to install.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's incorrect, a lot of "newfangled" programs install themselves in the user's profile directory to avoid requiring admin rights to install.

I think Discord does that, since i can't find it in Program Files but it is in AppData

Yup that's one of them.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2