WiFi connected but no internet

perplex

So this is so weird...

i use a Unifi AP AC PRO, and for some reason my mobile said im connected but no internet. the internet works fine through ethernet and even through the unifi pass through ethernet so i knew the cable was connected to the modem fine. i reset the power to the unifi device and did a whole lot of trouble shooting with Unifi support, ended up they dont know and will get back to me.

i decided to turn on my modem wifi since my unifi wasnt working. i set that up and funny enough the same issue occured. so right away i knew the unifi was fine and something else is up. as soon as i reset the modem the unifi started working and the modem wifi worked. this is so confusing

can someone answer how a modem can stop my unifi AC PRO from giving out internet over wifi but the ethernet pass through works fine.... also why it didnt work on my modem when i enabled it.

im so confused....

extra info - i live in Australia, we have NBN over hybrid fibre coaxial, so we have a black box that connects to the internet and that connects to the modem with a ethernet cable to the WAN port i believe

The AP is just setup via your phone? Its not connected to a Unifi Controller? 

Is your AP configured to use your routers IP address as the DNS server? (Typically in a basic setup it should be relaying from your router for DHCP connected devices)

It sounds like you had some sort of DNS issue

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

7 hours ago, Jarsky said:

The AP is just setup via your phone? Its not connected to a Unifi Controller? 

Is your AP configured to use your routers IP address as the DNS server? (Typically in a basic setup it should be relaying from your router for DHCP connected devices)

It sounds like you had some sort of DNS issue

i originally set the AP up with my pc using the Controller, i uninstall it after because i dont like Java.

i just dont understand or why my modem is stopping wifi from sending packets, but still allowing users to connect, just no internet.

So it's not a "Modem" that the AP is connected to but a "Router". The Black Box that the Fiber is connected to is an ONT, Optical Network Terminal, that turns Optical to Ethernet that will connect to your Router that you will use to Login to your account and it will distribute Internet and internal interconnects, LAN connections to your other hardwired gear. It sounds like it's not the "Router" blocking. It sounds more like the install of the AP is incomplete. If it's a "Stand-Alone" unit and it's physically connected to your "Router" and there is a light lit for the port it's connected to, you'll need to set up the AP as a "Stand-Alone" unit. It's obviously not completely set up for the Router to connect it to the Internet. Reset the AP to Factory Settings using the pin-hole and reinstall using the Mobile App only as a "Stand-Alone" unit and that should allow you to do what you need to get it to the Internet without using the Controller which you may have set it up to require the Controller to be continuously operational for APs to work. (Which I Love!!)

Hope this helps. That's the way I have done many "Stand-Alone" units.

3 hours ago, FarmerBob said:

So it's not a "Modem" that the AP is connected to but a "Router". The Black Box that the Fiber is connected to is an ONT, Optical Network Terminal, that turns Optical to Ethernet that will connect to your Router that you will use to Login to your account and it will distribute Internet and internal interconnects, LAN connections to your other hardwired gear. It sounds like it's not the "Router" blocking. It sounds more like the install of the AP is incomplete. If it's a "Stand-Alone" unit and it's physically connected to your "Router" and there is a light lit for the port it's connected to, you'll need to set up the AP as a "Stand-Alone" unit. It's obviously not completely set up for the Router to connect it to the Internet. Reset the AP to Factory Settings using the pin-hole and reinstall using the Mobile App only as a "Stand-Alone" unit and that should allow you to do what you need to get it to the Internet without using the Controller which you may have set it up to require the Controller to be continuously operational for APs to work. (Which I Love!!)

Hope this helps. That's the way I have done many "Stand-Alone" units.

the AP was working fine for years. but you are also missing the the what i called modem you called router, when i turned that wifi on it had the same problem as the AP so that means its not a issue with the AP, but as soon as i restarted the router it worked fine...