Does Antec power supplies have good quality?

BeastBoy797
Go to solution Solved by Juular,

It's based on Seasonic Focus FX PSU, good quality per se but this particular platform has problems with very power hungry GPUs and is not advisable to buy. Do you have any online stores where i can see what else are available in there ?

Hai . I was planning on buying a new power supply and i wanted a 650 watt unit. I came accross this "Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro Series EA650G Pro 650W PLUS GOLD Certified Modular PSU" and it seems to be a good deal. I couldn't find much info about quality of these units.

Does anyone know about them. Are they good?

Thanks 

The thing is, it's really hard to buy a really bad brand name PSU today. Sure some are worse than others, but days when brand name released really shitty PSU are long gone.

The PSU tier list may have something.  Brandname is a notoriously unreliable marker for quality with PSUs

Edited by Bombastinator
Link added

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's based on Seasonic Focus FX PSU, good quality per se but this particular platform has problems with very power hungry GPUs and is not advisable to buy. Do you have any online stores where i can see what else are available in there ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I had an Antec psu before, their customer service and RMA process really blows. I gave up on them, never buying any of their products again.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The PSU tier list may have something.  Brandname is a notoriously unreliable marker for quality with PSUs

not per say, in the late 2000's and early 2010's they've made some groundbreaking PSUs together with delta

but these days they're mostly seasonic rebrands, and a lot of those PSUs have been tiered down due to the now well known Focus FX/FM issues

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yes i can give you links of some store which i usually do pc part purchases. 

https://www.vedantcomputers.com

https://mdcomputers.in

https://www.primeabgb.com/

It would be really helpful if you could fine me something good.

And im planning to buy a rx 5700 gpu

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Thanks for the link. The list says Antec earthwatts pro gold are of poor quality and try to avoid it so i probably should. Or did i interpret it wrongly?

Screenshot_20191214-223715.jpg

8 minutes ago, BeastBoy797 said:

Yes i can give you links of some store which i usually do pc part purchases. 

https://www.vedantcomputers.com

https://mdcomputers.in

https://www.primeabgb.com/

It would be really helpful if you could fine me something good.

And im planning to buy a rx 5700 gpu

Corsair TXm 550W, 7k rupee : https://www.vedantcomputers.com/products/power-supply?product_id=1004

or Corsair RM650x 650W for 9k rupee : https://www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/corsair-rm650x-650w-fully-modular-power-supply-cp-9020091-uk/

Both are good enough but i'd get RMx for this GPU.

Just now, BeastBoy797 said:

Thanks for the link. The list says Antec earthwatts pro gold are of poor quality and try to avoid it so i probably should. Or did i interpret it wrongly?

Yes, see my comment above, it's basically the same unit as Seasonic Focus FX.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Well thanks for the time. But the price is the issue here. I am trying to stay below 120usd(about 8000rupee) because i don't want too spend to much on PSUs. The Corsair tx 550 will be fine, but i presently have ah 550 watt one (but faulty) and I'm not sure if 550 is enough for an rx5700 , ryzen 5 2600 on a b450 board

And i dont know if gold and bronze makes much of a difference. Does it? If bronze standard is fine i have many options

Thanks

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

not per say, in the late 2000's and early 2010's they've made some groundbreaking PSUs together with delta

but these days they're mostly seasonic rebrands, and a lot of those PSUs have been tiered down due to the now well known Focus FX/FM issues

Ok.  I was speaking generally.  I’m sure it’s quite variable.

8 minutes ago, BeastBoy797 said:

Screenshot_20191214-223715.jpg

Heh.  I just read the list.  The people who write it seem to be on this thread.  Listen to them before me.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The people who write it seem to be on this thread

waves

i see some good units mentioned by @Juular here, so I'll stay around for the technical questions

16 minutes ago, BeastBoy797 said:

I am trying to stay below 120usd(about 8000rupee)

Get Corsair TXm then, 550W are enough.

16 minutes ago, BeastBoy797 said:

And i dont know if gold and bronze makes much of a difference.

It's not efficiency certification that makes a difference.

4 minutes ago, BeastBoy797 said:

Are any of these good

No, Corsair CX (non-M) would be good too probably but i'd definitely recommend to get TXm instead, especially if it's still in budget.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

Get Corsair TXm then, 550W are enough.

It's not efficiency certification that makes a difference.

No, Corsair CX (non-M) would be good too probably but i'd definitely recommend to get TXm instead, especially if it's still in budget.

Well then I'll buy the TX. Thankyou so much.

34 minutes ago, BeastBoy797 said:

Well then I'll buy the TX. Thankyou so much.

its the TX-M not the TX

The TX-M gold is a great modern PSU , beware its completelty different than the Corsair TX bronze which is more than a decade old PSU and remarkably I found some retailer a year back still selling those 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

20 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

its the TX-M not the TX

The TX-M gold is a great modern PSU , beware its completelty different than the Corsair TX bronze which is more than a decade old PSU and remarkably I found some retailer a year back still selling those 

Sorry. I ment the TX-M with the 80+ gold standard.