Troublesome HDD. Displaying as two drives?

Hello all.

Ive spent the past couple hours cleaning and formatting this 2TB Seagate barracuda HDD due to games and programs crashing and encountering errors on only this drive (Programs on boot drive run fine).

This is an internal drive, my second drive, used only for large games and programs, so it has never seen a windows install.

I have used windows cmd diskpart to clean the drive, structure the partition table as GPT, format to NTFS, and create the primary partition. I have very little knowledge of these things so there's a high probability I just screwed something up.

The problem im having is that the device manager now recognizes two separate disk drives, one labeled "ST2000DM009-2G4100" and the other "Microsoft storage space device". When viewing the properties of these devices and populating them under "Volumes", the "Microsoft storage space device" returns with the full 1853.xxGB of space. However, the "ST2000DM009-2G4100" device returns with the error "Volume information for this disk cannot be found".

When examining the disk using diskpart, I do see two separate partitions. The first partition is around 50MB and the second is the other 1853.xxGB. The 50MB partition appears to be locked, and my guess is that its just the drives protective MBR and actually doesn't have anything to do with the issue, but I just wanted to relay every bit of info I have.

Again, id like to say that I literally just learned everything I know about this subject in the four hours ive been on this journey, but I guess this issue is just too uncommon for there to be any easily accessible info on the web.

If anyone could help me get this drive working properly I would be forever in your debt, lol. I am unsure if this will even cause any issues, but id really rather be safe than sorry when im spending days working on 3D modeling and painting. 

Screenshot (2).png

WHen you use storage spaces, It make a virtual drive on it. You seem to have used storage spaces some time. So just delete the storage spaces data and repartition it and it will work normally.

50 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

WHen you use storage spaces, It make a virtual drive on it. You seem to have used storage spaces some time. So just delete the storage spaces data and repartition it and it will work normally.

the Microsoft storage space drive doesn't appear anywhere in Disk Management, should I just delete the primary partition in disk management and create a new one there?

I think the disk you see in disk management is the storages spaces disk, as disks in a storage spaces pool don't show up in disk management.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think the disk you see in disk management is the storages spaces disk, as disks in a storage spaces pool don't show up in disk management.

Well, I removed the disk from the storage pool group and that did delete the “Microsoft storage space device” from the device manager. The problem now is that disk manager and diskpart do not show the disk anywhere. The only place that the drive is still visible is in storage pool settings and device manager. When viewing properties, trying to populate the drive returns the same error “Volume information for the disk cannot be found”, and windows will not let me add the drive back to the storage pool. I’ve cleared CMOS, updated chipset drivers and even reinstalled windows, nothing has worked so far. Just to be clear, disk manager does not show the drive at all or any unallocated space, and using diskpart then list disk does not show the drive either.

might have to try some third party partition software like i got to rely on when drives are stubborn.. like partition magic or aomei partition assistant or something related if those are not your thing even. not sure if it will work but eh worth a try i fixed many stubborn usb thumbs with them though.

5 hours ago, Giffany said:

might have to try some third party partition software like i got to rely on when drives are stubborn.. like partition magic or aomei partition assistant or something related if those are not your thing even. not sure if it will work but eh worth a try i fixed many stubborn usb thumbs with them though.

This worked! Absolutely no idea what was going on with the drive, and there was absolutely no information on the web about it. After running a couple different programs looking for something that didn’t want to charge me $100+, the EaseUS freeware ended up allowing me to simply delete all partition data on the unrecognized drive and create a new partition, which solved every issue! I feel like an idiot for not trying this sooner. I’m very grateful for your advice, haha, almost wanted to just give up and toss the drive in garbage.

2 hours ago, Outfoxed said:

This worked! Absolutely no idea what was going on with the drive, and there was absolutely no information on the web about it. After running a couple different programs looking for something that didn’t want to charge me $100+, the EaseUS freeware ended up allowing me to simply delete all partition data on the unrecognized drive and create a new partition, which solved every issue! I feel like an idiot for not trying this sooner. I’m very grateful for your advice, haha, almost wanted to just give up and toss the drive in garbage.

ahaha glad it worked. yeah i been through this alot it just shows windows tools are... not really up there yet at all and got to rely on other tools for such things.

I like EaseUS for this reason, its interface and that the times it has let me down were 2 times only, very reliable piece of software!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

56 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

I like EaseUS for this reason, its interface and that the times it has let me down were 2 times only, very reliable piece of software!

i never really heard of this tool to behonest but ill surely look at it my self. and seagate? never knew there was someone from there here if im not mistaken that is

1 hour ago, Giffany said:

i never really heard of this tool to behonest but ill surely look at it my self. and seagate? never knew there was someone from there here if im not mistaken that is

Hi, nice to meet you! ? Yes I am here, this community is huge and some don't know me, some other don't like me and sometimes I just dont have time to share anything here but then I come back, you can tag me if you want for anything... 

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

15 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hi, nice to meet you! ? Yes I am here, this community is huge and some don't know me, some other don't like me and sometimes I just dont have time to share anything here but then I come back, you can tag me if you want for anything... 

ah intresting aha. maybe can quickly answer this one for me then. why is every seagate i own loves to click and squeak there headers but when i force APM off they are silent. i find turning apm off prevents them from failing like older ones i had before i knew about that issue. i think its something should be checked personally but thats just me ahaha

Thanks for sharing! The number of people who have touched on this subject is very small, I would like to give you a page first where there is a collection of HDD sounds recorded with failures, these sounds are indicators of an imminent failure, so if you hear a sound equal to these in your computer, swap that HDD as soon as possible: https://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Not everyone will play with the power settings of a HDD, how do you do it? WIth CrystalDiskMark? I once posted something to help people reduce the noise with our own tools but I forgot where it is. ? I will look for the thread and will post again, you may like it but it will take you time too. Just bear with me, I will post as soon as I find it...

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Thanks for sharing! The number of people who have touched on this subject is very small, I would like to give you a page first where there is a collection of HDD sounds recorded with failures, these sounds are indicators of an imminent failure, so if you hear a sound equal to these in your computer, swap that HDD as soon as possible: https://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Not everyone will play with the power settings of a HDD, how do you do it? WIth CrystalDiskMark? I once posted something to help people reduce the noise with our own tools but I forgot where it is. ? I will look for the thread and will post again, you may like it but it will take you time too. Just bear with me, I will post as soon as I find it...

yeah crystal disk info. honestly drives are fine they are like almost 30,000 hours now and still showing healthy. just thought id touch up on that at least. aha and its fine no rush really.

I'm glad to know that the units work! I found it and it was honestly easier to find it than to retype it all. ?

On 9/5/2019 at 7:43 AM, seagate_surfer said:

I Once posted about this and how the noise could be reduced, here is that post in case you want to see it:

On 8/13/2019 at 1:13 PM, seagate_surfer said:

There is a "feature" to put it in a way that can be de-enabled to help reduce noise (PowerControl) but first a little background on why Seagate uses proprietary technology that can be disabled and why it is not disabled by default. In HDDs standards, there is one that's used as an automatic power-saving feature that is activated during very brief periods of command inactivity without impacting performance, it is called PowerTrim technology, but PowerChoice now called Power Control technology (a proprietary implementation of T10 Approved Standard No T10/09-054 and T13 Standard No T13/452-2008) complements PowerTrim technology by enabling even greater power reductions that cover idle periods greater than one second. The result? PowerChoice technology decreases drive power consumption by up to 54 percent in enterprise environments. For example, a 1U rack filled with twenty-four 500 GB Constellation drives that have entered PowerChoice technology C mode delivers 12 TB of storage, yet consumes only 43W or slightly more power than a single 40W light bulb! Delivering a combination of energy efficiency and user flexibility.

Now I introduce you SeaChest, to use this tool you have to be familiar with executing command lines or it will complicate everything a bit, the download link is here: https://www.seagate.com/support/software/seachest/ To learn more about PowerChoice (PowerControl) you can open the User Manual from the link above and go to the section:

• 
    ================================
    How PowerChoice Technology Works
    ================================

I will now paste some screenshots of the command lines that will help you disable PowerControl and thus getting a lower noise from the HDD that support this: 

How to disable EPC (Extended Power Conditions)
Note: PowerChoice has now been replaced with PowerControl

1. Download the latest SeaChest and install it in Windows.
  2. Next, confirm if EPC is supported and Enabled for the drive in question. First. get the drive's Handle which could be PD0, PD1, or PD2, etc. Copy and Paste or type in this command then Enter:
    • SeaChest_PowerControl --scan

• image.png.669cba58a6dfcd825a711c1999147545.png

3. Now copy and paste or type in this command then Enter.
    • SeaChest_PowerControl -d PD(N)

• Replace (N) with the handle of the target disk

• Scroll to Features Supported and look for EPC [Enabled]

• image.png.1e4d682d5917dc009c2d983644c0803b.png

4. To disable EPC on the drive Copy and paste or type this command then Enter:
    • SeaChest_PowerControl -d PD(N) --EPCfeature disable

• Wait for a message stating EPC was disabled successfully

• image.png.94c5c11dbd5462bde6c807a153138714.png

5. Now we need to confirm that EPC is disabled. Repeat step 3, Copy and paste or type in this command then Enter
    • SeaChest_PowerControl -d PD(N)

• Scroll to Features Supported and look for EPC

• [Enabled] should no longer be seen

• image.png.8e3c87878f227e4c354f37acfc2ba010.png

6.  Shut down the computer then reinstall the drive into the NAS if it was the case.

If you type in Google disable epc site:seagate.com you will notice that many models show up because many models support the EPC and thus giving one more option to help you reduce noise from your machine.

I've found, when a drive starts to act wonky, is much easier to just reformat it, then restore it from a backup. I don't worry about drive failures because I keep my data backed up to the teeth.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

I'm glad to know that the units work! I found it and it was honestly easier to find it than to retype it all. ?

geez never knew this now im glad cause all of the drives i have do this now hopefully this will work on them i hate starting up a pc to reapply this lmao. thanks for the help none the less and some knowledge even.

sadly i cant seem to get this to work any i guess ill stick to the old way. shows epc as [enable | disabled] and when i put in the commands it just says: \\.\PhysicalDrive1 - ST2000DM006-2DM164 - Z8E0D5NR - ATA
Failed to send EPC command to \\.\PhysicalDrive1.
EPC Feature set might not be supported.
Or EPC Feature might already be in the desired state.