Downloading my friends Twitch VOD (???)

Hello Everyone,

A friend of my has a brand new Twitch streamer looking to branch over to Youtube as well. I am simply looking to help out and try my hand at video editing for the first time. 

So here is my questions. Is there a way to download his Twitch VOD's without actually logging into his account? I mean... and ethical way. I also don't want to sacrifice video quality in the process. A quick google search brings up links for the 4k Download and Twitch Leecher. I don't feel the need to use one of these "gray" market software applications. As a moderator of his channel is there any way for him to grant me direct access to his content?

Thank you in advance!

First build, nothing to see here...

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro Wifi  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory STORAGE: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + Crucial MX500 500GB 

GRAPHICS: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Edition OC+ CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P400S POWER: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W Bronze Fully Modular

Is there a reason your friend wouldn't let you onto his account to download the VODs seeing as you're helping him? Or him download them and then send over to you?

We may end up sharing account info. But i'll leave that up to him.

Most of his streams are between 2-3 hours at 1080p. I'm not sure how much of a hassle it would be to share over the web. He lives on the other side of the state.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro Wifi  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory STORAGE: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + Crucial MX500 500GB 

GRAPHICS: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Edition OC+ CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P400S POWER: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W Bronze Fully Modular

1 hour ago, EternalSunKing said:

Is there a way to download his Twitch VOD's without actually logging into his account?

One thing they can do is record at the same time as they stream, so then they don't have to download anything, and just give you the file. But also, they can download the video if they have it set up to keep the video after broadcasting. It usually stays up for 2 weeks, I believe, for non-partners.

Also, you don't have to share any account information, just be given 'Editor' status. You will then be able to change stream titles, category/games, and all that jazz.

35 minutes ago, EternalSunKing said:

I'm not sure how much of a hassle it would be to share over the web. He lives on the other side of the state.

MS OneDrive has 1TB of cloud space you can use to share files. I think Google Drive also has some decent space. As does Dropbox, but I don't recall the capacity on that one off the top of my head. It was 1TB for a minute, but I think that has some sort of limit...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

11 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

One thing they can do is record at the same time as they stream, so then they don't have to download anything, and just give you the file. But also, they can download the video if they have it set up to keep the video after broadcasting. It usually stays up for 2 weeks, I believe, for non-partners.

Also, you don't have to share any account information, just be given 'Editor' status. You will then be able to change stream titles, category/games, and all that jazz.

He has already given me Editor status and for the life of me I can't download anything directly from Twitch on my account. I also didn't yield any information in my Google search. Though I did not brave the depths of Reddit.

13 minutes ago, EternalSunKing said:

He has already given me Editor status and for the life of me I can't download anything directly from Twitch on my account. I also didn't yield any information in my Google search. Though I did not brave the depths of Reddit.

I know I've done it before, but it was a while ago, so I don't remember how to off the top of my head. I do remember it wasn't 'intuitive', it took a bit of searching... I don't have a Twitch any more, else I'd dive in and figure it out again.

But if it's a hassle, then having them save locally/download and then sharing the file would be the next best step.

Spoiler

On 12/13/2019 at 8:50 AM, The1Dickens said:

I know I've done it before, but it was a while ago, so I don't remember how to off the top of my head. I do remember it wasn't 'intuitive', it took a bit of searching... I don't have a Twitch any more, else I'd dive in and figure it out again.

But if it's a hassle, then having them save locally/download and then sharing the file would be the next best step.

Okay I found it. Again, I am for sure a moderator and I may have an editors status as well. I'm sharing this for anyone else who might run into the same issue.

@The1Dickens congrats, you're on the last episode of TechLinked with an Xbox Series X post.

While viewing an active live stream

> Go to the Chat Settings "Gear" icon below the chat window

> Select "Manage Moderation Settings

.... continued below

image.png.a8f2cbd4da9be12539f1792e65803fec.png

This will take you to an Automod Controls page

> Select the Menu button in the upper left (three horizontal bars)

image.thumb.png.37a140d3283048cc9c248b6de5cc7516.png

> Select the drop down arrow under "Content"

> Select "Video Producer"

image.png.6edf069afcd43152609415709e579cb7.png

Select the video to you want to download. This 3 hour stream took a good 1-3 minutes to prepare before the download started but everything works.

image.thumb.png.1ef21f628a1edf38b86a49cd2a37e355.png

11 minutes ago, EternalSunKing said:

@The1Dickens congrats, you're on the last episode of TechLinked with an Xbox Series X post.

Ohsnaps! I'm famous, ma!

Also, super awesome of you to provide the steps like that.

Spoiler

18 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

Ohsnaps! I'm famous, ma!

Also, super awesome of you to provide the steps like that.

This is a community and I try to treat it as such. I'm sure this isn't the first time someone has had trouble with this.