3700X runs hot idle & system high noise

Trumerik

Hi guys, just installed a ryzen 3700X with a Hyper 212 Black edition.

Although what I noticed was very hot idle tempretures, ~50°.

Although when doing cpu stresstest it didnt reach 70°.

The 3700X is advortised as a 65 watt CPU so the 212 should have no problem cooling it. But I can't understand why its running so hot and it is making my system very loud.

Cpu-cooler ramping up and down all the time, really annoying. I though it would be quiet, any idea why its so loud/hot?

Thanks.

45 minutes ago, Trumerik said:

Although what I noticed was very hot idle tempretures, ~50°.

That's not hot. Anything sub 90° C are okay.

The 3700X is advortised as a 65 watt CPU

TDP doesn't mean anything whatsoever. Disregard it.

45 minutes ago, Trumerik said:

Cpu-cooler ramping up and down all the time, really annoying. I though it would be quiet, any idea why its so loud/hot?

Because it's not enough. It's barely better than Wraith Prism this CPU are bundled with. But if it's just for gaming then it's okay, tweak a fan curve so it'll be around 80-90° C under load and it will be quieter.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

That's not hot. Anything sub 90° C are okay.

TDP doesn't mean anything whatsoever. Disregard it.

Because it's not enough. It's barely better than Wraith Prism this CPU are bundled with. But if it's just for gaming then it's okay, tweak a fan curve so it'll be around 80-90° C under load and it will be quieter.

Really... ok, I just didn't expect it to be this loud.

4 minutes ago, Trumerik said:

Really... ok, I just didn't expect it to be this loud.

It's for gaming, right ? Set CPU thermal limit\target in BIOS to 95° C, set maximum CPU fan RPMs at 90° C and some RPMs with bearable noise output at 80° C, that's perfectly reasonable temperature for continuous usage, and set RPMs that are barely noticeable to 70° C. Done, you'll hear your cooler only in MT load as in stress tests \ video editing etc, and in gaming it'll sit basically idle with 60-70° C.

13 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's for gaming, right ? Set CPU thermal limit\target in BIOS to 95° C, set maximum CPU fan RPMs at 90° C and some RPMs with bearable noise output at 80° C, that's perfectly reasonable temperature for continuous usage, and set RPMs that are barely noticeable to 70° C. Done, you'll hear your cooler only in MT load as in stress tests \ video editing etc, and in gaming it'll sit basically idle with 60-70° C.

I really wanted to have a quiet system. I will try these setting, would it be worth to switch to a Dark Rock 4 instead?

1 minute ago, Trumerik said:

I really wanted to have a quiet system. I will try these setting, would it be worth to switch to a Dark Rock 4 instead?

You didn't answer yet what you're using this PC for ? If it's not only for gaming then yeah, you'll need a better cooler, depending on your location Scythe Fuma 2 \ Scythe 5 should suffice and if it's cheaper than Dark Rock 4.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

You didn't answer yet what you're using this PC for ? If it's not only for gaming then yeah, you'll need a better cooler, depending on your location Scythe Fuma 2 \ Scythe 5 should suffice and if it's cheaper than Dark Rock 4.

I am gaming, but I want a quiet PC.

I don't see how my use would change the need for a quieter system.

Thanks for information.

1 minute ago, Trumerik said:

I am gaming, but I want a quiet PC.

I don't see how my use would change the need for a quieter system.

Thanks for information.

It's just that gaming doesn't load CPU to the same extent as other workloads like video editing, i'd say that CM Hyper 212 will be enough for gaming, try to tweak fan curve, if it doesn't help then yep, replace it if you want smth quieter.

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

It's just that gaming doesn't load CPU to the same extent as other workloads like video editing, i'd say that CM Hyper 212 will be enough for gaming, try to tweak fan curve, if it doesn't help then yep, replace it if you want smth quieter.

Ye, exactly It has ok max temps but I am annoyed at sound xD Will try settings, if that doesn't satifsy me, I will go for the Dark Rock 4!

Thanks for all the help

8 hours ago, Trumerik said:

Ye, exactly It has ok max temps but I am annoyed at sound xD Will try settings, if that doesn't satifsy me, I will go for the Dark Rock 4!

Thanks for all the help

Be sure to check cooler compatibility with your case.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Be sure to check cooler compatibility with your case.

Ye, it's the biggest I can fit. Otherwise I would have gone for pro