New build boots but no display and usb ports do not work!

nokhod

As mentioned in the title, i just recently finished my build, i boot it up. Everything is fine, my radiator fans turn on, pump is on, all the rgb on the motherboard, fans and pump work. GPU fan is spinning. I am getting no display and my mouse and keyboard that i plug into the case and motherboard do not light up, or work. The only issue is that my ram does not light up (it is rgb ram) and my motherboard has a built in code protocol and it says code 53. I've looked it up and it says it is a memory issue, as i have a flashing dram light on my motherboard.

I am running the rig with no internal drives, because i planned to transfer my old drive from my current rig to my new one, but i wanted to test it first before i wiped it, and for this same reason is why i didn't wipe it yet.

My specs are:

Motherboard: Asus maximus viii formula
Ram: G skill trident 3200mhz (2x8G)
CPU: I7 6700k
Cooler: Deepcool castle v2 240 rgb
GPU: pny gtx 1080
Case: nzxt h500
PSU: EVGA G5 650

Keep in mind, i have put in my gpu in my old system, and it works just fine. So it is not a gpu problem. Power supply works fine as well, because it is in the build that i am currently typing in.

Maybe some helpful things to know: My motherboard and cpu were my friends that he sold to me. The motherboard had bent pins, and i sent it to asus to get it fixed, paying $100 for the repair fee, and they sent me a refurbished board.

I also had an issue screwing in the screws in the motherboard, as 2 screws would not tighten all the way, and would just spin forever. I don't know if these problems could be causing it, but it is something that i thought could maybe lead to the issue.

Also, the first time i booted the system, i noticed that i somehow had placed the ram in the wrong way. I don't know how, but the ram slot still clicked and i was able to put in the ram, but i looked up online and saw that i had it backwards.

My motherboard rgb is still on even when i turn off my pc, unless i flip the power switch on my power supply. Can this short and fry my motherboard? It already made a popping sound once when i turned it off. I will probably be turning my pc on and off multiple times, and i'm scared to try and unplug stuff without the psu switch being turned off, because there is still technically electricity in my board for the LED lights that are still on when its turned off.

Please help me. This issue is extremely frustrating, i have spent a lot of money fixing this stupid board, and i'm afraid that with me not being able to access the bios to turn off the leds, i will fry my board switching the power on and off through the power supply fixing this stupid problem.

Sounds like maybe you need someone to help you out. Putting ram in backwards is pretty hard and could damage the ram. The screw thing turning forever is when you use the wrong screws for the motherboard standoffs. RGB lights in motherboard when off is normal. Pupping sound could be ok or maybe the board is tourching the case. Try with one ram stick in the first slot and see if it boots.

You could try flashing bios. Rename bios file M8F and put on usb stick - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-VIII-FORMULA/HelpDesk_BIOS/

***PC needs to be off when flashing) Hold BIOS button until it starts blinking - wait for it to stop blinking (can take up to 5 min)

image.thumb.png.f404c7c58c8ec49cb91657c24b1aaa20.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

9 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Sounds like maybe you need someone to help you out. Putting ram in backwards is pretty hard and could damage the ram. The screw thing turning forever is when you use the wrong screws for the motherboard standoffs. RGB lights in motherboard when off is normal. Pupping sound could be ok or maybe the board is tourching the case. Try with one ram stick in the first slot and see if it boots.

You could try flashing bios. Rename bios file M8F and put on usb stick - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-VIII-FORMULA/HelpDesk_BIOS/

***PC needs to be off when flashing) Hold BIOS button until it starts blinking - wait for it to stop blinking (can take up to 5 min)

image.thumb.png.f404c7c58c8ec49cb91657c24b1aaa20.png

The popping sound came from my power supply. I figured it had something to do with the rgb lights still being on, hence still giving power through the power supply. I don't think the case is touching the case, because i made sure to remove all the screws and check to see if my motherboard had the standoffs in the screw holes with a magnifying glass, and they all did. I will try all the steps above and reply back later today, i have to go to work soon.

Also another thing i recently just figured out. Somehow one of my motherboard screws is missing.... i don't know if it dropped in the case or what. I tried giving the case a shake and moving it around, but could not find it. I doubt it could've gone behind the motherboard because it barely has any room behind it, other than for it to slightly support the motherboard off the back of the case.I put in a new screw into that missing hole though.

It might be as simple as improperly inserted ram modules. I had a memory issue for a day after installing a new NVMe and I think that was my problem.  

14 hours ago, mlitttler89 said:

It might be as simple as improperly inserted ram modules. I had a memory issue for a day after installing a new NVMe and I think that was my problem.  

I got it to work. Problem was that my ram wasn't pushed in fully at the bottom. I was able to install it backwards before, but only the top part where the notch clicks was in. The bottom was not fully inserted in, because the notch in the middle of the ram and ram slot don't line up, so it will only clip in either from only the top, or the bottom.