Cannot access specific website over network

N64CUBE
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
2 minutes ago, N64CUBE said:

I’m using my regular home network, it’s their website I can’t access. Works fine over LTE, just not over my wifi/lan connections. It’s a community college, no one lives on campus hahaha

Hmm.  Try the vpn then.  Can’t hurt.  Maybe one with some international acces locations.  

Hi! I'm attempting to access my college's website in order to work on assignments. Over my home network, I can access websites as normal (for example: linustechtips.com), but cannot access any website associated with my school. I know it isn't an issue on the school's end, as I can access their websites on my phone over data, but not over WIFI.

Two of the websites in question are: " ccm.edu " and " courses.ccm.edu ", and when attempting to reach them Chrome gives me the error: " ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED "

I've already tried flushing the dns cache through CMD.

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Or a vpn maybe.  This sounds like an intentional lockout.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Did you try a different dns server? Can you ping the domain name? Try using nslookup and a different dns server

As per suggestion in a video tutorial I believe I tried Google’s server. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 I think? I cannot ping the website, can’t find host.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Or a vpn maybe.  This sounds like an intentional lockout.

Do there exist any decent free VPN services I could use to test this? I know, I should have one already lol.

I would think my school would contact me if I was being locked out, I hope that isn’t the case.

Do there exist any decent free VPN services I could use to test this? I know, I should have one already lol.

I would think my school would contact me if I was being locked out, I hope that isn’t the case.

I doubt they’re doing it to you specifically.  Likely the whole dorm.  Basically all VPNs  are free. At lest to try.  Just pick one.  It may possibly make it worse not better.  It might be that they lock out everyone outside specific connection points.  It could be your dorm actually has improved access.  Just not improved enough.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I doubt they’re doing it to you specifically.  Likely the whole dorm.  Basically all VPNs  are free. At lest to try.  Just pick one.  It may possibly make it worse not better.  It might be that they lock out everyone outside specific connection points.  It could be your dorm actually has improved access.  Just not improved enough.

I’ll give a VPN a try in that case. The thing is I’m commuting rather than dorming, so I doubt they are locking me out, I hope.

1 minute ago, N64CUBE said:

I’ll give a VPN a try in that case. The thing is I’m commuting rather than dorming, so I doubt they are locking me out, I hope.

Wait, so you’re doing this from completely off campus?  Yeah.  The chances of the CPN not working just went up.  You might be able to go to the “tech center” or wherever it is the network folks hang out and get your dns given improved access because you can prove you’re a student.  Might work, might not.  They’re trying to keep townies off their network.  You’re off campus so you’re getting townie level access.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wait, so you’re doing this from completely off campus?  Yeah.  The chances of the CPN not working just went up.  You might be able to go to the “tech center” or wherever it is the network folks hang out and get your dns given improved access because you can prove you’re a student.  Might work, might not.  They’re trying to keep townies off their network.  You’re off campus so you’re getting townie level access.

I’m using my regular home network, it’s their website I can’t access. Works fine over LTE, just not over my wifi/lan connections. It’s a community college, no one lives on campus hahaha

Hmm.  Try the vpn then.  Can’t hurt.  Maybe one with some international acces locations.  

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So, using a VPN worked. Thanks! But now my question is, what does this mean? Could it be an ISP issue? Still can’t connect to the websites without one.

8 minutes ago, N64CUBE said:

So, using a VPN worked. Thanks! But now my question is, what does this mean? Could it be an ISP issue? Still can’t connect to the websites without one.

My theory is the college is locking out the local ISP in your area.  Possibly because it’s full of non paying students or something.  

20 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My theory is the college is locking out the local ISP in your area.  Possibly because it’s full of non paying students or something.  

That very well could be it, luckily I think I’m all caught up on those payments. Seems a bit like overkill to block all FIOS users in my area but you never know with colleges these days. Guess I’ll talk to the IT guys there tomorrow.

14 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Well as of today it's working normally again without the use of a VPN, I'll chalk it up to either the ISP or the College having some sort of internal issue. Your VPN suggestion saved me yesterday though, so thank you.