Slow internet speed

LilPotato

Hi guys.

My main router (FRITZ!Box 7560) from ISP is in the living room and my PC is on the other side of the flat I m living in. My PC doesnt have WiFi, so I thought I would take my Asus router (RT-N11P), configure it as a repeater and connect it to my PC. Everything is working fine, but when somebody is watching TV (like Netflix, or watching online films) my internet speed on my PC gets incredibly slow. First of all I though that my internet speed is too slow, but when I m using my mobile I can watch Full HD YT videos without any problems, but on my PC I can barely watch videos in 480p quality. What should I do, expect upgrading my internet speed which I m planning to, but it takes time. 

How is the ASUS router connected to the main router?

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

4 minutes ago, LilPotato said:

Hi guys.

My main router (FRITZ!Box 7560) from ISP is in the living room and my PC is on the other side of the flat I m living in. My PC doesnt have WiFi, so I thought I would take my Asus router (RT-N11P), configure it as a repeater and connect it to my PC. Everything is working fine, but when somebody is watching TV (like Netflix, or watching online films) my internet speed on my PC gets incredibly slow. First of all I though that my internet speed is too slow, but when I m using my mobile I can watch Full HD YT videos without any problems, but on my PC I can barely watch videos in 480p quality. What should I do, expect upgrading my internet speed which I m planning to, but it takes time. 

When you say repeater, I assume they have a wireless bridge? 

If the TV is connected by WiFi, it sounds like you're losing throughput for the wireless bridge between your Fritz!Box and Asus router. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Via WiFi, as I said it´s working as a repeater 

1 minute ago, Jarsky said:

When you say repeater, I assume they have a wireless bridge? 

If the TV is connected by WiFi, it sounds like you're losing throughput for the wireless bridge between your Fritz!Box and Asus router. 

So maybe if I´ll conect my TV via ethernet cable it would help ? 

Try running a wire to your PC, even temporary, and repeat this:

9 minutes ago, LilPotato said:

when somebody is watching TV (like Netflix, or watching online films) my internet speed on my PC gets incredibly slow. 

That way you know if it's the WiFi repeating that is causing this, or your internet connection to the outside world.

If it's the former, we can talk a bit more about the best solution (which is probably hard wiring or powerline, usually).

If it's the latter, you indeed have to upgrade your internet plan.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, LilPotato said:

So maybe if I´ll conect my TV via ethernet cable it would help ? 

I would give that a try yeah. 

Also in your wireless settings on the routers, if you can adjust the frequency make sure its on the widest frequency width. Typically on older gear its 20Mhz/40Mhz...make sure its on 40Mhz, and if theres any power settings bump that up

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

It could be that the fact that the TV and the ASUS router are both saturating the wireless capabilities of the main router. It doesn't look like it's a great router, I would definitely upgrade. Perhaps buy a DSL modem and a nice router. I switched from a DSL ASUS router to a modem and a Linksys router and couldn't be happier. Just a tip: make sure you quote people who reply to your post, so that they can see your reply.

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

2 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Also in your wireless settings on the routers, if you can adjust the frequency make sure its on the widest frequency width. Typically on older gear its 20Mhz/40Mhz...make sure its on 40Mhz, and if theres any power settings bump that up

I m going to check that settings and if that doesnt help I will try to connect my TV with cable. 

2 minutes ago, Bruno_A said:

It could be that the fact that the TV and the ASUS router are both saturating the wireless capabilities of the main router. It doesn't look like it's a great router, I would definitely upgrade. Perhaps buy a DSL modem and a nice router. I switched from a DSL ASUS router to a modem and a Linksys router and couldn't be happier. Just a tip: make sure you quote people who reply to your post, so that they can see your reply.

So you are suggesting to change both routers or just the one from Asus ? Sorry I forgot to quote you 

4 minutes ago, LilPotato said:

So you are suggesting to change both routers or just the one from Asus ? Sorry I forgot to quote you 

I'd probably swap the main router. Generally, ISP-provided equipment is low quality.

2 minutes ago, Bruno_A said:

I'd probably swap the main router. Generally, ISP-provided equipment is low quality.

I think that I had some problems when I wanted to change the main router. I´ve had no internet access. Btw I m in Germany, if that helps somehow

Just now, LilPotato said:

I think that I had some problems when I wanted to change the main router. I´ve had no internet access. Btw I m in Germany, if that helps somehow

That might be because you need to configure the router. Contact your ISP and ask them how you could use a new router.

29 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Unfortunately I can´t change my frequency, but i can see that the routers are connected at 20MHz frequency. But I can configure a priority option for my second router so we will see how its doing. Also power settings are set to max performance

22 minutes ago, Bruno_A said:

Btw what router would you recommend ?